Most Overpaid Player/Season

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Any Compliance Buyout north of $20,000,000 is the right response to this query.

Yes, Regis, that is my final answer.

[They're living the Dire Straits song- "Money For Nothing."]

1) Vincent Lecavalier 2) Rick DiPietro 3) Ilya Bryzgalov 4) Brad Richards

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Chris Gratton (10 mill+) and Joe Sakic (16.5 mill) in 98 has to be up there. Tkachuks 11 mill...

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
How soon we forget...

Rick DiPietro signed a 15-year, $67.5 million deal, then the obscenely top paid contract as the 1st overall pick for the Islanders, playing 3 full seasons, the last one with a losing record. In the NHL playoffs he had a 1-4 and 1-3 record.

It was the largest contract to date and the maximum allowed under the CBA.

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Chris Gratton (10 mill+) and Joe Sakic (16.5 mill) in 98 has to be up there. Tkachuks 11 mill...

Fedorov

Carolina had that poison pill thing with the bonuses and Detroit still matched, he made close to $30m in 1998. Great player no doubt, but that is an insane number for one NHL player 20 years ago.

Reactions: Voight

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Fedorov

Carolina had that poison pill thing with the bonuses and Detroit still matched, he made close to $30m in 1998. Great player no doubt, but that is an insane number for one NHL player 20 years ago.

Yea, that one as well. It became that much because of a special clause in the offer sheet. 2 mill/year + 14 mill signing bonus + 12 mill over 4 years but the clause was that if the team reached the conference final it had to be paid all at once.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Fedorov

Perhaps he had calculated being swindled on most of the money though.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
To be honest, Lucic isn't the most egregious example. He's at least playing in the NHL, unlike Wade Redden who spent 2 of his $6.5M seasons playing no NHL games, or Alzner now.

Brooks Laich in 2015-6 was easily the worst forward in the league, it was beyond painful to watch him. 60 games, 1 goal, 6 assists, -7 on the PT winning team. $4.5M.
Carey Price last year: 16 wins, 3.11 GAA, .900 SV%, and $7M.
Scott Gomez, of course. 2011-12 season: 38 games, 2+9, ~$7.25M.

Reactions: Tarantula

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

Gratton is first one I thought of thanks to signing bonuses. Wasn't it $17 million for that one year? No wonder there was a lockout in 2004. Sakic had the same front loaded contract but at least it was...........Sakic.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
Bonus Fedorov is a good pick. So is Holik.

How about Jagr with the Caps? He was still somewhat decent even after 01/02, but they had surely expected more for 11 mil a year.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
Sure, they expected more for 11 mil a year. But would you rather have Jagr at that price or Bobby Holik for 9 million?

If we talk just those two years, Jagr, but that's because I'm a fan. In 02/03 and 03/04, he scored at 0.99 PPG, whereas Holik reached around 0.61 PPG over the same span. He could and did defend, he could and did shut down the opposition instead of bringing down his teammates -- while being cheaper by a couple of millions a year.

Sure, Jagr. But it's dangerously close to a miserable wash.

Reactions: flipp

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
How soon we forget...

Rick DiPietro signed a 15-year, $67.5 million deal, then the obscenely top paid contract as the 1st overall pick for the Islanders, playing 3 full seasons, the last one with a losing record. In the NHL playoffs he had a 1-4 and 1-3 record.

It was the largest contract to date and the maximum allowed under the CBA.

And he will be paid 1 500 000 per year to the 2028/2029 season. Wow. What a nice living.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Apparently Tavares is getting paid 15.9M dollars this year. Unless I am misunderstanding something?

John Tavares - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
That's what he takes home this year, minus applicable taxes. This is only relevant to Tavares, his family, and the shareholders of Bell and Rogers. In a different market, paying a guy 16 million dollars might be an impediment to the team's health and future, but not Toronto.
The NHL's salary cap takes into account the average value of his contract over the 7 years he'll be in Toronto, which is 11 million, and that's the only number that effects how his team is able to do business.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Toronto pays Tavares $169 000/point. For comparison Toews 164000/p, McDavid 147222/p, Eichel 151000/p and Patrick Kane 112000/p

Worst offenders, Kopitar with 227000/p, Lucic 375000/p, Corey Perry 2.25 mill/p and Nylander 734000/p

Best value, Tampas Brayden Point @ 8800/p

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Selänne and Colorado. Although I don't know anything about the money. Kariya too.

Selanne earned $5.8M that year, so he'd have to be up there.

Kariya took a huge discount to rejoin Selanne (and/or to try to win a Cup). I don't have the exact number, but it may have been as low as $1M. Disappointing season, of course, but not really an overpaid season.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Kariya took a huge discount to rejoin Selanne (and/or to try to win a Cup). I don't have the exact number, but it may have been as low as $1M. Disappointing season, of course, but not really an overpaid season.

According to Wikipedia, it was 1.2 million, so yeah, a huge decrease of what he earned in Anaheim. I'll withdraw that; a really bad deal for him, rather.

Gambitman

Jan 30, 2019
I thought the Karyia deal had more to do with him being under league average. My memory is foggy but I thought if he signed a deal that paid him less then league average he would be an unrestricted free agent the next year. I could be wrong though

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I thought the Karyia deal had more to do with him being under league average. My memory is foggy but I thought if he signed a deal that paid him less then league average he would be an unrestricted free agent the next year. I could be wrong though

That rings a bell. So I guess Kariya had three reasons to take such a big pay cut - it would make him a UFA the next summer (with the opportunity for a big payoff sooner), in addition to the already-mentioned reasons of joining a serious Cup contender, and reuniting with Selanne.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

Yes, according to the old CBA if you had played for 10 years and earned under the league average you became an UFA. The thing is Kariya and Selänne split the money from Selännes contract iirc. Which was another source of rage in the league. Thats how Baizley (the agent for Kariya, Selänne, Sakic and Forsberg) and the Avs had allegedly conspired all this together.

Last edited:
Reactions: Merya

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki

Teemu got a big contract and Paul got under league average to further UFA status. In reality part of Teemus salary went to Paul.

e: I'm slow

ps. In general I think Finns usually don't go the length to get every dollar and usually settle for contracts that are good for the team. (tho might be compensated by ntcs.)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad