Most overated prospect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
Puckhead said:
I disagree! I think that the main reason Schremp was overlooked had more to do with his off ice situation. He demanded a trade out of Mississauga, that never looks good on a prospect, least of all in his draft year. Had he been in the 2003 draft, he never would have requested that trade, and possibly teams would have judged him on his skill level, and not on his so called bad attitude. I think Schremp is no different than Roenick or Tkachuk or Primeau, when they were 17-18 and just drafted. They were all cocky, had some chip on their shoulder and thought they were better than most everyone else out there. If Schremp can grow as a person and buy into the team mentality in Edmonton, I think he will be a dominant player in the league one day. He has Ryan Smyth and Jason Smith to show him the way. He will be just fine, and he will make those 23 other teams eat some serious crow.

He was a brutally selfish player in junior. A friend of mine who is a scout for a NHL team was shocked he even got picked in the first round. He had him rated 35-40

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
417 TO MTL said:
How bout' we just end this and say that every Habs prospect is overrated, i've seen almost everyone in our top 10 prospects in this thread... :shakehead

You got to take it as a compliment 417. Montreal, Toronto, Detroit and the Rangers have more fans than just about any other team in the league. Of course our prospects are gonna get overrated because there are more of US to talk about them.

Plus don't forget negative attention is still attention and some cities would love to get attention that Montreal or Toronto get.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
NataSatan666 said:
He was a brutally selfish player in junior. A friend of mine who is a scout for a NHL team was shocked he even got picked in the first round. He had him rated 35-40
You mean not passing to the powerplay quarterback (even when he's calling for the puck) isn't standard procedure? :D

Capitalhawk

Jul 18, 2004
DownFromNJ said:
Btw, on an interesting note (if your thinking about NCAA prospects in general). Scott Clemmenson recently remarked that the NCAA was much more physical than the NHL. Parise may succeed even moreso in the NHL.

http://www.newjerseydevils.com/2004/html/fanzone/20transcipts/clemmensen_tr.php
Are you really going to take a college goaltender(!)'s word as gospel that the NCAA is more physical than the most elite level of club hockey on the planet? Sorry, I just had to say that.
For my part, Parise should live up to expectations because he dominated offensively a WJC playing against top competition. He's probably not superstar material, but 65-70 points is reasonable. Very good actually. To me, Igor Grigorenko may be the most overrated prospect, by definition. All the things he can do can be done by about 20 other prospects around the league. There is no explanation as to why people consider him a top 10. Especially when he sat almost all year after his injuries. What, no other drafted players made progress? Honorable mention goes to Ryan Miller. Tip of the hat for a guy who has failed to earn a spot in the bigs several times and can still be considered a top commodity.

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
Alexandre Daigle is really overrated as a prospect. Everyone is saying he will be the next Wayne Gretzky but i think he will come in to Ottawa and flop for the rest of his career. In fact, I'll even go as far as to say he will give up hockey and try acting for a while, date Pamela Andersen, give up that scene and try hockey again. He will sign with the Penguins until they ditch him and then we'll Lemaire (who will be coaching Minnesota then) will decide to give him a tryout..
Trust me on this one.

n00dles

Dec 13, 2003
Germany
Visit site
Teezax said:
Alexandre Daigle is really overrated as a prospect. Everyone is saying he will be the next Wayne Gretzky but i think he will come in to Ottawa and flop for the rest of his career. In fact, I'll even go as far as to say he will give up hockey and try acting for a while, date Pamela Andersen, give up that scene and try hockey again. He will sign with the Penguins until they ditch him and then we'll Lemaire (who will be coaching Minnesota then) will decide to give him a tryout..
Trust me on this one.
:joker: :joker:
Pssst, you are a few years late.

:joker:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Capitalhawk said:
Are you really going to take a college goaltender(!)'s word as gospel that the NCAA is more physical than the most elite level of club hockey on the planet? Sorry, I just had to say that.
For my part, Parise should live up to expectations because he dominated offensively a WJC playing against top competition. He's probably not superstar material, but 65-70 points is reasonable. Very good actually. To me, Igor Grigorenko may be the most overrated prospect, by definition. All the things he can do can be done by about 20 other prospects around the league. There is no explanation as to why people consider him a top 10. Especially when he sat almost all year after his injuries. What, no other drafted players made progress? Honorable mention goes to Ryan Miller. Tip of the hat for a guy who has failed to earn a spot in the bigs several times and can still be considered a top commodity.

I don't get that either, how Grigorenko can still be considered a top 10 or 20 prospect when he sat out the whole year, nothing against him, he might turn out to be quite a player, as I was very impressed with him and Perezhogin at the WJC 2 years ago, but the injuries he suffered aren't the normal run of the mill injuries, although I believe he's playing in the RSL right now and doing quite well, he is also a bit small in stature, I think durability might become an issue with him, but who knows, definately not me

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Teezax said:
Trust me on this one.

Lies! Lies! They're all lies I tell you! :cry: ;)

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
Taupy said:
It's funny that a lot of people think that Mikko Koivu is overrated, when 3/4 of the people probably never saw him play. How can you tell that he is overrated then?

B/C he's was taken high in the draft and is yet to play an NHL game, atleast thats my take on it...I'm not saying he's overrated by the way

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
How many more people can the "Schremp is an a**hole" bandwagon hold b/c they seem to be piling on day after day...outside of Malkin and Ovechkin, he's got the most to prove of any pick in the '04 draft and possibly the next 5 years

most overrated prospect: mike richards

Ape Clutch

Jul 19, 2004
Ron Hainsey? Ron Hainsey? WHO Has talked about Ron Hainsey as a Franchise D-man? That itz 100% SURE he's going to be a Franchise D-man? NO ONE!! PPL are wondering if he's going to STAY in the league! Making it is one thing, staying is another. Man all ppl say is IF he getz his act together then yeah he's going to b a #1 D-man but if he doesn't he won't last more then 3-4 mediocre Seasons. I mean look a Malakhov if he TRIED he'd be known as the GREATEST d-man of his time... 2bad he didn't give a Damn. :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad