Most overated prospect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HughJass*

The most over-rated prospect? Any prospects belonging to the Leafs, Canadiens, and Rangers. I seem to know all of your prospects from year to year (because of your constant raving) but I never see much from any of them.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
pavel datsyuk said:
Hudler is ranked 25th by HF, 23rd by THN.

Most overrrated :Andrei Kostsitsyn.

Do you have a link to THN list?

Also I think
MA Fleury is a little overrated and Staal

WHats everyones thoughts on guys like Steen, Pouliot Vanek and Tukonen? They all have shots at these top 50 lists and some are already on it, has anyone had the chance to see these guys play? Ive been trying to get a bit of news on these guys in the last little while and cant mustre much up. Anyone actually witnessed them play?

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
Eb0la11 said:
Do you have a link to THN list?

Also I think
MA Fleury is a little overrated and Staal

WHats everyones thoughts on guys like Steen, Pouliot Vanek and Tukonen? They all have shots at these top 50 lists and some are already on it, has anyone had the chance to see these guys play? Ive been trying to get a bit of news on these guys in the last little while and cant mustre much up. Anyone actually witnessed them play?

Heres a Steen goal...

(You need RealOne, goal is at 1:14 of the clip.)
http://www.streaming.telia.com/startmedia/default.asp?k=472&i=982&n=031204_vfhc_mif_high.rm

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Phanuef (a hit made him a Scott Stevens like player...)
Schremp (if his skate speed would be half of the speed of his tongue he would be an Olympic Champion. Instead his brain is quite sloooooooooooooooow)
Fleury (Next Dipietro IMO)

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
pinto said:
Heres a Steen goal...

(You need RealOne, goal is at 1:14 of the clip.)
http://www.streaming.telia.com/startmedia/default.asp?k=472&i=982&n=031204_vfhc_mif_high.rm

Thanks man, I couldnt quite get it to work though, got real player too. Couldnt access the site, is the link correct? is there a site that offers alot of clips of prospects or kinda hard to find? What do you think of Steen? Hes projected as a number 1/2 center i hear. Playing well in Sweden and should play with Forsberg this next year.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
WHurricane16 said:
The most over-rated prospect? Any prospects belonging to the Leafs, Canadiens, and Rangers. I seem to know all of your prospects from year to year (because of your constant raving) but I never see much from any of them.

Ribeiro (45th overall), Markov (162nd overall), and Ryder (216th overall) were drafted in the '98 draft, all had impressive seasons with the Habs this year, with Ribeiro leading the team in scoring, Ryder the top rookie scorer and Markov the Habs top defensemen imo. Mike Komisarek ('01 7th overall) was solid in the playoffs imo and if there's a season next year the Kings are going to find out how good ('96 2nd round 44th) Mathieu Garon can be. Nashville has to be happy with our '94 226nd overall pick Tomas Vokoun.

But for the Canadiens, they have been a poor drafting team especially in the 1st round, and even poorer at developing their young talent. Things changed in 2001 when Andre Savard took over, and from the '01 draft on, we have seen major changes in the drafting since then. Hopefullly with much better results, although a few of their picks have turned out well recently in Ryder, Markov and Ribeiro. With Ward ('97, 11th overall), Komisarek, Balej ('00, 78th overall), Alex Perezhogin ('01, 25th), Tomas Plekanec ('01, 71st), Chris Higgins ('02, 14th) all doing well in the NHL/AHL.

Kostitsyn and Chipchura also add some depth to the prospect pool and the mystery combo of Hossa and Hainsey could go one way or the other as they have stalled in their development, but are highly skilled.

I agree for the most part the Hab prospects haven't shown much yet, but in 2-3 years I think we will see a lot of good from Komisarek, Higgins and Chipchura with Kostitsyn, Perezhogin, Plekanec and Danis all doing well if they can continue to progress.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Ahh the good ol' Steen goal. Never amazes me how fast Toronto fans wehip it out.

Here's a typical Steen thread.

Non Toronto Fan: "Toronto fans, what do you think are the pros and cons of Steen's game? Will he be an effective NHLer"

Toronto Fan: "Steen is amazing! He's one of the best prospects ever! Check this out! http://www.streaming.telia.com/star...fhc_mif_high.rm This obviously proves Steen will be an amazing NHL player"

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
nash61 said:
...What is that supposed to mean? DiPietro is a damn good goalie right now and he is only improving.

DiPietro will be good. He put up very good stats last year and hes still extremely young. Especially since most goalies are older.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
#2 said:
I think some overrated prospects are
Mikko Koivu - he was drafted 6th but i doubt he will even be a regular in the NHL
Carlo Colaicovo
Boris Valabik
I understand that it seems like its been a long wait for such a high pick at 6th overall, but Mikko is still considered one of Finland's top prospects. I guess we'll see what he can do at the World Cup (he was recently added to the team).

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
How bout' we just end this and say that every Habs prospect is overrated, i've seen almost everyone in our top 10 prospects in this thread... :shakehead

DutchLeafsfan

Jun 3, 2002
Rotterdam, NL
www.gamer.nl
Moskau said:
Ahh the good ol' Steen goal. Never amazes me how fast Toronto fans wehip it out.

Here's a typical Steen thread.

Non Toronto Fan: "Toronto fans, what do you think are the pros and cons of Steen's game? Will he be an effective NHLer"

Toronto Fan: "Steen is amazing! He's one of the best prospects ever! Check this out! http://www.streaming.telia.com/star...fhc_mif_high.rm This obviously proves Steen will be an amazing NHL player"

So, if you are so good to describe such a typical thread, why don't you dig a recent one up, rather than spweing off empty rhetoric?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
My choice would be Ovechkin. I have no doubt he's going to be a good, maybe even great player, but not to the extent that some suggest. He's certainly not going to reinvent the game.

Jovo Cop

Come on Rabid ..hes the GREATEST ruskie to EVER play the game ...i am sure when he is done all of Gretzkyovs records will be broken .They are going to open up his OWN wing in the Hall of Fame ..all this before he even plays an NHL game ..we should be thanking the Lord every day we were born in his era ;)

X-SHARKIE

417 TO MTL said:
How bout' we just end this and say that every Habs prospect is overrated, i've seen almost everyone in our top 10 prospects in this thread... :shakehead

It's not that they are bad prospects, The habs have some of the top prospects in the game...and there top 10 could be argued as the best....but it's true that almost every Hab prospect gets over rated as soon as they put on the Jersey at the draft. It's no all habs fans and their media, Just some of them and then they basically ruin it for the prospects because then there cast as over rated or busts when they don't meet those very high expectations. I think Mike Komisarek is a perfect example...still a big defensman with great upside, still very young, but with the names he was compared to and the talk he had the day he was drafted, now he's seen as a bust to some..but he'll come around and IMO is playing quite well.

Last edited:

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
My picks are Denis Grebeshkov, Ryan Miller, Ron Hainsey, Mikko Koivu. All of these are highly rated yet are really average talents. I predict all will be at most mediocre players in the NHL.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Jovo Cop said:
Come on Rabid ..hes the GREATEST ruskie to EVER play the game ...i am sure when he is done all of Gretzkyovs records will be broken .They are going to open up his OWN wing in the Hall of Fame ..all this before he even plays an NHL game ..we should be thanking the Lord every day we were born in his era ;)

Sadly, there are some posters that really feel that way!!! :eek:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
DuklaNation said:
My picks are Denis Grebeshkov, Ryan Miller, Ron Hainsey, Mikko Koivu. All of these are highly rated yet are really average talents. I predict all will be at most mediocre players in the NHL.

I wouldn't call a guy like Ron Hainsey an "average talent." He's got a tremendous amount of skill, with size to boot. His problem is mental. He needs to lose the God complex and learn to compete.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
X-SHARKIE said:
It's not that they are bad prospects, The habs have some of the top prospects in the game...and there top 10 could be argued as the best....but it's true that almost every Hab prospect gets over rated as soon as they put on the Jersey at the draft.

I agree with you, but it's mostly because on this forum, they're are more Habs fan, thus more people discussing them, and some of those posters, embellish what those players potentials can/will be, but this thread is ridiculous...i've seen, Kostitsyn, Hainsey, Hossa, Danis, Locke and probably more to come, at least 3 out of those 5 players I just mentionned could probably rank in most other teams top 3 or 5 pospects...funny how if this thread would of been done last year, Balej would definately be on most people's overrated list, but now that he's no longer a Hab, he's a rookie of the year candidate...

I don't argue the fact that Habs fans overrate their prospects, there's no doubt about that, i'm ashamed at some of the things that are written sometimes, but at the same time, alot of posters, underrate our prospects just for the simple fact that their Habs prospects.

Anyways...to get back on the topic at hand, I think a couple of overrated prospects are...

Jiri Hudler and Igor Grigorenko
M. Yakubov, not sure if he's still considered a prospect but Jaime Lundmark as well

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
not sure if he's still considered a prospect but Jaime Lundmark as well

ehhh at this point he's not a prospect and i dont' think he's overrated anymore...most people don't have any real expectations for him at this point

he does have good skills, but it's just been all over the place for him. he's shown some real nice flashes of skill and ability, and he's coasted sometimes too much

this is kind of a make it or break it year for him

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
"The Most Overrated Prospect in the World" just played a flawless game in Finland's fourth line, both with and without the puck. He might have trouble scoring in the SM-liiga, but the NHL level seems to suit him just fine. Go Mikko! :yo:

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
It's funny that a lot of people think that Mikko Koivu is overrated, when 3/4 of the people probably never saw him play. How can you tell that he is overrated then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->