Status
Not open for further replies.

Oiltalk

May 20, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Garfield said:
Robbie Schremp.

There is reason he went as low as he did in the 1st round but everyone is acting like he was a huge steal. Not IMO.
You never fail to amaze me. From the looks of it on these boards everybody is 50/50 on whether Schremp is a bad pick or steal. Infact if you make a poll on this it might be tilted to the bad pick side of things.

Steve Latin*

Corey Locke. Most Habs fans don't realize that he's a Gamache-clone career AHLer.

S L

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I'll go with Phaneuf. I agree he'll be good, but I don't see Norris calibre in him. I think he'll be a #2/#3 or maybe even #1, but isn't the second coming of Stevens.

Yes he can toss his weight around in junior, but lets see what he can do against actual men. He won't have as easy a time with the Bertuzzi's of the NHL.

prove me wrong Dion, prove me wrong...

gohabsgo613

Jul 12, 2004
Ottawa
Andrei Kostitsyn. Don't get me wrong i'm a huge habs fan, but everyone thinks this guy's gonna do miracles for this team. He's definitely going to be a good hockey player but he won't be in Montreal this year. He has a few things to learn before he becomes a good hockey player.

windowlicker

Jun 17, 2003
Murky Wisconsin
Visit site
Parise - There was a reason 16 teams passed on him.

Hudler - Size & weight really are an issue.

Phaneuf - Great young Dman, not The Second Coming.

Schwarz - Good goalie prospect, not Elite goalie prospect.

CH Wizard

gohabsgo613 said:
Andrei Kostitsyn. Don't get me wrong i'm a huge habs fan, but everyone thinks this guy's gonna do miracles for this team. He's definitely going to be a good hockey player but he won't be in Montreal this year. He has a few things to learn before he becomes a good hockey player.

Completly agree.Kost has to prove that He can bring his game to the next level.Next year is a important year for him.To prove that He's a top notch prospect.I would better wait two years for him.One year isn't enough for him to adapt well and put good numbers IMO in the Ahl .

Colaiacove and Grigorenko are overrated IMO.

Telperiën

Nov 1, 2003
Galaxy Far Far Away
Crosby.

No, I haven't seen him play (unless you count those five minutes on Sportsnet) and I don't care. Sometimes I wish he would just flop so I could have a laugh at all of this in a few years.

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Telperiën said:
Crosby.

No, I haven't seen him play (unless you count those five minutes on Sportsnet) and I don't care. Sometimes I wish he would just flop so I could have a laugh at all of this in a few years.
How can you say that when you've never wacthed him play? He's unreal, even Greztky said if there anyone who could break some of my records it could be this kid, maybe a tad overrated but all the hype does have a meaning.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
windowlicker said:

I'm not gonna be a homer and make any predictions about Parise being top 5 at his position.....but I just wanted to mention that there have been plenty of good NHLers taken in the mid to late first round.

There was a reason why Petr Sykora fell to #18 in 1995 (shoulder injury scared off several teams apparently). In hindsight, I'm pretty sure San Jose, Toronto, and Washington might reconsider their picks.

There was a reason why Brad Richards lasted to the 3rd round in 1998. And it probably would be a good discussion if the bottom 10 first rounders in 1998 are better as a group than the top 10 first rounders that year:

(Regehr, Gagne, Fischer, Gomez, Skoula, Kalinin, Van Ryn, Backman, Kraft, Parker) vs. (Lecavalier, Legwand, Stuart, Allen, Vishnevski, Bell, Antropov, Fata, Malhotra, Rupp)

That's just a couple examples from recent drafts. Yes, for every Iginla and Sakic, there'll be five Jeff Hereema's. But you can't really say "Parise is overrated because everybody had him ranked about #10, and he fell all the way to #17". If you ever make a top 20 list for virtually anything, the gaps between #10 and #20 are probably going to be very slim.

You can possibly make the argument for a guy like Jiri Hudler who was supposed to be a top 10 pick.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Brodeur said:
I'm not gonna be a homer and make any predictions about Parise being top 5 at his position.....but I just wanted to mention that there have been plenty of good NHLers taken in the mid to late first round.

There was a reason why Petr Sykora fell to #18 in 1995 (shoulder injury scared off several teams apparently). In hindsight, I'm pretty sure San Jose, Toronto, and Washington might reconsider their picks.

There was a reason why Brad Richards lasted to the 3rd round in 1998. And it probably would be a good discussion if the bottom 10 first rounders in 1998 are better as a group than the top 10 first rounders that year:

(Regehr, Gagne, Fischer, Gomez, Skoula, Kalinin, Van Ryn, Backman, Kraft, Parker) vs. (Lecavalier, Legwand, Stuart, Allen, Vishnevski, Bell, Antropov, Fata, Malhotra, Rupp)

That's just a couple examples from recent drafts. Yes, for every Iginla and Sakic, there'll be five Jeff Hereema's. But you can't really say "Parise is overrated because everybody had him ranked about #10, and he fell all the way to #17". If you ever make a top 20 list for virtually anything, the gaps between #10 and #20 are probably going to be very slim.

You can possibly make the argument for a guy like Jiri Hudler who was supposed to be a top 10 pick.

And 30 teams passed on Henrik Lundqvist at least 6 times. Not much of an arguement using that point of why people passed on him.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
windowlicker said:

:handclap:

Just like there's a reason why 24 teams passed on Schremp. Also, Parise was in a much, much, much deeper draft year than Schremp. Robbie would have went 2nd round in 2003.

windowlicker

Jun 17, 2003
Murky Wisconsin
Visit site
Brodeur said:

I agree 100%. Someone like Martin Havlat was taken 26th overall in '99, and right now he's the best player out of that entire draft. But untill Parise comes in and produces like Havlat or some of the other guys you've mentioned, he's overrated IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad