Most Overated propsects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
BuppY said:
Daley is good defencemen but he isn't great, he is awful 5 on 5 your comparing him to rafalski but Rafalski isn't a liability in his own end, from watching Daley he is but his offensive game is great, but he needs to work on his dfence is very fast but has trouble staying with hi man and takes very stupid penalties.

He's a 21 year old offensive defenseman. A lot of 21 year old offensive defenseman need to work on their defensive game. I've said it before, but something just isn't right with him right now, because in his time with the Stars last year, he looked very solid defensively, and now it appears he's playing bad defensively. Dont really know what to make of it.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Leafaholix said:
He also doesn't use his size to his benefit and is awful with the puck in his end.

Again, in his time with the Stars, he was exactly the opposite.

CH Wizard

I saw Daley a lot.He isn't overrated imo.He's doing all the little things on the ice to help his team.Daley isn't bad defensively but the problem's that He don't has size, He can't use it.He's using sometimes his small size to go in the off zome more easier.I like his shot and playmaking skills.He's dynamic and He's a great skater !!!!! Any off D should work on their defensive game but Daley is pretty decent defensively.From what I've seen , He isn't scare to throw the body.

leafaholix*

Chaos said:
Again, in his time with the Stars, he was exactly the opposite.
In the AHL against inferior competition he's been mediocre.

Let's leave it at that.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Leafaholix said:
In the AHL against inferior competition he's been mediocre.

Let's leave it at that.

In the AHL on a mediocre team, he's been average, after being very solid in the NHL against superior competition.

Let's leave it at that.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
that's always the funny thing...sometimes guys play better in the NHL than the AHL

tyutin always seemed to me to be that way. he looked real good on the rangers last year (though he made some rookie mistakes of course, he was getting lots of minutes though) but down on the pack, he wasn't as noticeable. course the fact that he's russian might have something to do with that as well

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Levitate said:
that's always the funny thing...sometimes guys play better in the NHL than the AHL

Exactly...seems to be the case with Daley as well.

CH Wizard

Levitate said:

That''ll be the case for Kostitsyn.I have an vision!!!!

Saku is making his wingers looking better anyways. :lol

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Chaos said:
Not so much anymore since HF fixed their mistake from last year ;)
How is he over-rated?
22 pts in 28 games, in the AHL, playing in a shut-down role. +11, and awesome defensively.
Most Canuck fans think his potential is great 3rd liner, maybe even a good 2nd liner in his prime. How is that over-rating him?

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
jtuzzi21 said:
How is he over-rated?
22 pts in 28 games, in the AHL, playing in a shut-down role. +11, and awesome defensively.
Most Canuck fans think his potential is great 3rd liner, maybe even a good 2nd liner in his prime. How is that over-rating him?

Is there a particular reason why you quoted me, when it was the other guy who stated that Kesler was overrated?

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
mooseOAK said:
How can the 29th ranked team in prospects have two of them in the overrated category?

I guess that Leaf fans might as well just pack it in and forget about the future all together.

Two players doesn't make up an entire system of 40-50 prospects.

So your saying that because there the 29th ranked team they can't have two of the more overrated prospects IMO? On what basis?

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Yeah I'm not sure how Jessiman is underrated. Not even Ranger fans talk about him much, everyone else thinks he sucks. Hes also not even playing, there goes the hype machine.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
my humble opinion :

Grigorenko (his accident hurt him a lot)

Kostitsyn (overhyped by Redline never helped him but he still has to prove he can score at higher level(if we could even consider the AHL a higher level of competition ;) )

Ryan Miller (never understand how this guy could have been ranked top 5 in HF's ranking ... incredible .. he has NHL potential .. but he has lots of major flaws that need to be fix as soon as possible ..he's already 24 years old)

Semin (I like him a lot !!!!) but to consider him as a sure bet 120 points scorer in the NHL is laughable..

Dion Phaneuf (This Month I saw some old games from WJHC and i still couldn't believe how some highly touted defensemen or player never cut it ...)
while i still consider one of the best if not the best defensive prospect ... he will have to progress every year to fully suceed in the NHL .. look at Bouwmeester...

Robbie Schremp (the Hype machine is running at full speed... yes he's skilled but he's still a couple of year of the NHL and he COULD be a typical prolific scorer in the junior but a bust in the NHL .. we'll see)

Patrick O'sullivan (copy and paste my feelings on Schremp)

Jeff Carter (Some people here think he's the second coming of Christ .. sure he has all the tools to suceed but for each Carter i remember the Svitov,Alexeev,Brendl,Tkaczuk,Kilger,Ryan,Gratton,etc.. of our world)

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
Jeff Carter (Some people here think he's the second coming of Christ .. sure he has all the tools to suceed but for each Carter i remember the Svitov,Alexeev,Brendl,Tkaczuk,Kilger,Ryan,Gratton, etc.. of our world)

:eek: He is a potential 1st line center similar to Mats Sundin, I think Carter has played very well since being drafted and I don't see him being a bust if not a 1st line center he will be a very good 2nd line center.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
Chaos said:
He's a 21 year old offensive defenseman. A lot of 21 year old offensive defenseman need to work on their defensive game. I've said it before, but something just isn't right with him right now, because in his time with the Stars last year, he looked very solid defensively, and now it appears he's playing bad defensively. Dont really know what to make of it.

I agree he hasn't been playing well and is still very young, If your saying he was solid defensively last year with the stars I'll take your word but from what i've seen this year at the AHL level he has been horrible, maybe it's due to him playing in the AHL effort in the defensive zone isn't there.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
BuppY said:
I agree he hasn't been playing well and is still very young, If your saying he was solid defensively last year with the stars I'll take your word but from what i've seen this year at the AHL level he has been horrible, maybe it's due to him playing in the AHL effort in the defensive zone isn't there.

I think that has a lot to do with it. When he was up with the Stars, he knew he had to play fairly solid defensively if he wanted to continue to get icetime.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
i have to admit seeing phaneuf being listed as overrated surprised me.

after finally seeing him in person, what impressed me most was his anticipation, hockey sense and on-ice leadership.

even if he doesn't develop anymore, he's already a highly skilled defenceman who'd be a top 6 defenceman with the flames, if not for the lockout.

unless someone is predicting him to be the next bobby orr or ray bourque, i don't see how he is overrated.

i personally think he has developed the most of the '03 draft class, and this should bode well for his continued development. i was impressed with just how good he is compared to his peer age group at the team canada selection camp.

CH Wizard

Kryoptix said:
Kostitsyn (overhyped by Redline never helped him but he still has to prove he can score at higher level(if we could even consider the AHL a higher level of competition ;) )

He's overrated for sure ! But it's not fair to say that He can't produce at the AHL while playing sometimes in third or fourth line.We'd be able to say that when He'll adapt and receive alteast 20 mins per game each game.

Wouldn't We ? ;)

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
O'Sullivan overrated? Let's see what Schremp would've done if he was in Mississuga. O'Sullivan is one of the big reasons why Mississuga went from the doghouse of the OHL to top of the league. Schantz has had a big part but O'Sullivan has made all the players around him better. You can't win games if you can't score goals. O'Sullivan's teammates (I'm sorry MePut) are very sub-standard to standard against a lot of other big name prospect's teammates.

Truthfully, O'Sullivan has come a long way from where he was going and where he is now going. O'Sullivan isn't also a scorer. He can score goals yes, but he can set up wonderful plays.

I would like to see what he can do in the AHL in the NHL but I think he's a wonderful and gifted player.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Habsfan 32 said:
Ryan Miller is so over-rated in my books it's crazy. he's small and not very quick and he does no think the game realy good and his anticipation is bad. just my 0.02$

I don't think several of those things apply to Miller. He's listed as 6' 2" and his quickness has always been a hallmark of his game.

mooseOAK*

NYRangers said:
Two players doesn't make up an entire system of 40-50 prospects.

So your saying that because there the 29th ranked team they can't have two of the more overrated prospects IMO? On what basis?

No team has 40-50 actual prospects.

Steen and Colaiacovo are rated here as 34th and 37th, should they not be in the top 50 altogether then?

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
mooseOAK said:
No team has 40-50 actual prospects.

Your right, the Rangers have 54 by HF's standards.

Steen and Colaiacovo are rated here as 34th and 37th, should they not be in the top 50 altogether then?

Ytour one of those who likes to put words in peoples mouhs, eh? Where did I suggest this? I never did. Who said were viewing these 'overrated prospects' on one list? Nobody did.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
slats432 said:
I personally believe that Marek Schwarz's upside is Roman Cechmanek.

Trevor Daley's upside is Brian Rafalski but his 5 on 5 numbers will be brutal.

Peter Senja. He is 25 years old and hasn't had any success at the NHL level. If he has any success, it will be a couple good seasons.

Devan Dubnyk. I don't see what anyone sees as of yet. Personally Radulov, Schremp would have looked pretty sweet for the Oilers right about now.

Jeff Deslauriers. Again, every time I think about this guy, I don't understand the excitement. Hopefully for the Oilers, I am wrong about one of their two goalies.

M.A Pouliot. Can't skate fast. Can't stickhandle. From the circles in he is great, but if he doesn't become a Luc Robitaille type of player(Great hands, slow skater), impending doom.

As for this thread...I expect it to deteriorate quickly.

The Oilers drafted Schremp 24th overall 2004 (samedraft as Dubnyk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad