Most overachieving teams ever

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
Worst ever? Not sure, but possible (have to say, Tampa's D was nothing special either...). Ward *did* overachieve, sure. But, see, e.g. Vernon had terrible save % almost all his career yet came up big enough in playoffs for not one Cup, but two. It happens.

Bottom line, the 2006 Canes winning the Cup was far less of an overachievement than '96 Panthers making the finals... or many others already mentioned in this thread. That team was one of league's best. '96 Panthers were trap team with no talent and Vanbiesbrouck.

I still hate that team. I was 13 years old and just getting into hockey with the Lindros-era Flyers, and that team beats us and then a tremendous Penguins team to get to the Finals. We could have had Flyers-Pens in the ECF and Avs-Wings in WCF; the four division winners, the four best records in the NHL, two epic Conference Finals, and a classic Cup Finals. Instead, we got a four-game sweep of one of the most boring, infuriating teams ever by a superior opponent.

Germz

4th liners ftw
Aug 14, 2008
Toronto, ON
A lot of recent teams come to mind that have been mentioned

02 and 06 Canes
06 Oilers
04 Flames
03 Wild
99 Sabres

What about the 1986 New York Rangers? Vezina-winning Vanbiesbrouck took that bunch to the Wales Conference Finals. Their top scorer was Mike Ridley with 65 points.

But it's gotta be 96 Panthers who take it. Vanbiesbrouck again. Still makes me shudder.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I have to say the 2004 Flames.

That squad isn't the same team today even after Calgary tried to duplicate that team with new players, faster players, grinders, etc..

None has worked. They got to the finals with Kiprusoff who played half the year, Iginla, Gelinas, McCammond, Conroy, Donovan, Lydman, Commodore, Regher, Leopold, Yelle, Lombardi, Kobasew, and Chris Simon whom they got at the trade deadline.

Since then Kiprusoff has played full seasons and has show inconsistency, Tanguay, Nolan, Friesen, McCartey and several trade deadline duds have come and gone.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
leafs 2008-2009

theyre playing very well
Theyre outworking their opponent

even grabovski is winning his battle along the board
good job leafs!

captainpierce

Feb 1, 2007
I'll go with the '96 Panthers, because while most of the teams mentioned so far had mediocre regular season records and got hot in the playoffs, those Panthers overachieved in the regular season too.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
leafs 2008-2009

theyre playing very well
Theyre outworking their opponent

even grabovski is winning his battle along the board
good job leafs!

Yeah dont remind me about that! Watching the Leafs games are torture. It's been a joke seeing guys like Dominic Moore outplay superstars this year. If there is one year where the Leafs can get a #1 overal pick it's this year, but they keep screwing it up and driving me crazy. We all know they wont make the playoffs, so I would like nothing more than to see them in the Islanders country this year, at least we'll get a top 2 pick

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
i think to truly over achieve you have to win it all. i didn't notice any mention of the 93 Habs. Without Roy that team doesn't do anything.

not an NHL example, but how bout the 80 US Olympic team? that one takes the cake.

or the 88 LA Dodgers (Kirk Gibson). That team is considered the weakest lineup to win the World series

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad