Most notable omission from 1972 Team

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Okay the team that was picked for the Summit Series in Canada was a great team, but you have to wonder how some of the guys got on there. i know Eagleson had a hand in picking some of "his" players but some guys that were left off you have to wonder. I'm not including guys like Hull, Sanderson, Cheevers, Tremblay and co. who went to the WHA. I'm also not including Orr who was injured. Also Eddie Giacomin if I recall was injured and not picked. Just guys who were NHLers, and good ones, who werent picked. So who was the most shocking player left off the team?

Jacques Lemaire - Although I think its more of a shock he wasnt on the '76 team, he was still a great player in '72. He hardly was a plug on the habs teams then, and he would have skated well with the Russians

Dave Keon - For the life of me I dont know why he wasnt there. Its hard to say anything bad about Ron Ellis' checking performance against Kharlamov (which is underrated) but you'd have to think that Keon could skate with the Russians and would have been used as a great shadow against any of them. His all around game would have been appreciated there.

Norm Ullman - Age is the only thing that I think kept Norm Ullman off that team. He was 36 at the time. He had 73 points in '71-72. Again he would have been very responsible out there.

Johnny Bucyk - He was 37 at the time, but was still a great scorer. Had 83 points that year. The knock on Bucyk I think was that he was too slow. he'd of been eaten alive at that time in his career against the Soviets.

Ken Hodge - His number dropped off a bit that year, but he was still in the middle of his two first team all-star seasons. I know he benefitted form having Espo and Orr, but with him in the Series it would have made things more familiar for Espo.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
He wasn't eligible, but Jean-Claude Tremblay is actually the first name that should come to everyone thinking about this....

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Both Jacques Laperriere & J.C. Tremblay were asked but each said no.

I think that Laperriere's wife was expecting but I'm not sure. I don't really know why Tremblay turned them down. The easy answer was that he went to the WHA. But he didn't sign with Quebec until August after they acquired his rights from the L.A. Sharks. So, at the time Tremblay was asked, he was still in the NHL and eligible.

Interesting about Dave Keon. Keon wanted to play so badly that he let the organizers know that he would definitely be available. Recently, Keon said that he just doesn't know why he wasn't asked. He certainly could have helped the team.

Since Eagleson has such an influence on the player selections (hello Brian Glennie), I would think Eagleson had a part in not asking Keon.

A few years earlier, when Eagleson was starting up the players association, Dave Keon was one of the few players who distrusted Eagleson even then. Actually, it was Dave Keon's wife that saw through Eagleson. The players were generally fooled by Eagleson but the wives found him to be devious and disgusting.

He wasn't eligible, but Jean-Claude Tremblay is actually the first name that should come to everyone thinking about this....

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Both Jacques Laperriere & J.C. Tremblay were asked but each said no.

I think that Laperriere's wife was expecting but I'm not sure. I don't really know why Tremblay turned them down. The easy answer was that he went to the WHA. But he didn't sign with Quebec until August after they acquired his rights from the L.A. Sharks. So, at the time Tremblay was asked, he was still in the NHL and eligible.

Interesting about Dave Keon. Keon wanted to play so badly that he let the organizers know that he would definitely be available. Recently, Keon said that he just doesn't know why he wasn't asked. He certainly could have helped the team.

Since Eagleson has such an influence on the player selections (hello Brian Glennie), I would think Eagleson had a part in not asking Keon.

A few years earlier, when Eagleson was starting up the players association, Dave Keon was one of the few players who distrusted Eagleson even then. Actually, it was Dave Keon's wife that saw through Eagleson. The players were generally fooled by Eagleson but the wives found him to be devious and disgusting.

You'd have to hope that in today's society a little big man with the foul mouth and bullying of an Alan eagleson could never rise to power like he did. He seems to me like a real *******.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Yes, at least half and probably more were Eagelson clients.
What is also significant is that none of the 4 players who left the team were Eagleson clients.

It might've been deeper that just influence. Wasn't the team composed, largely, of Eagleson's clients? WHA players need not have applied.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Youre an example of hope realized.

Thanks for the extra attention, cooch, but stick to the hockey stuff, please, and try to keep your attention diverted from personal stuff toward me. I think I've made it clear I'm here for the hockey, and not looking to become more than friends with you. Again, please refrain from fixating on me personally, and I'd prefer no private messages on non-hockey topics. Thanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->