Most NHL Ready

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziner

Mar 2, 2003
Kitchener
Visit site
Who do you guys think is the most NHL ready: Grebeshkov, Babchuk, or Colaiacovo

It would be nice to have comments from posters who have seen all three of the players play, instead of this just turning into a homer fest.

EDIT: As well if you could shed some insight into why you think that they are more ready than the others. Thank You!

Last edited:

leafaholix*

Colaiacovo will play a lot in the NHL this upcoming season.

I haven't seen the other two play lately, so I won't comment.

mowthecat

Budman said:

It would be nice to have comments from posters who have seen all three of the players play, instead of this just turning into a homer fest.

EDIT: As well if you could shed some insight into why you think that they are more ready than the others. Thank You!

Grebeshkov - would have played in the 2nd half of the year if he hadnt been injured
Babchuk - this guy is going to be very very good
Colaiacovo - this guy hasnt come like he should have.I dont think he's going to be any great shakes at all despite the Leafers hanging their hats on him.He's about all they've got right now so maybe they have to.

leafaholix*

mowthecat said:
Colaiacovo - this guy hasnt come like he should have.I dont think he's going to be any great shakes at all despite the Leafers hanging their hats on him.He's about all they've got right now so maybe they have to.
He's played 4 years of junior hockey and 1 in the American Hockey League.

What's the rush?

FYI, he was one of St. John's top 3 defensemen all season and an AHL all-star. He also dominated the World Junior tournament. Colaiacovo's coming along very nicely.

db23

Colaiacovo was a -1 at the WJC. He racked up a pile of PP points against France and Belarus. That is hardly the stuff of legends. As a 188 pound offensive defenseman in the AHL he scored less than 240 pound crease clearer Mike Komisarek did as a 20 year old rookie.

Whatever happened to the Paul Coffey/Raymond Bourque comparisons. When they were 21 they already had been to the NHL All Star game 3 times or so.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Colaiacovo is progressing nicely. The comparisons to Coffey/Bourque were simply further proof of having to compare an 18 year old kid to established NHL legends. It is unfair and completely pointless. No-one knows how a player will progress. There are far too many intangibles that we have no control over that could creep up in that prospects life. Take Grigorenko for example...Everyone was touting him as the next great thing in Detroit, and what happens...the summer before he is to come across the pond, he gets into a serious car accident and is lucky to be alive, let alone ever play again. To his credit, he has worked hard and is still one of Detroit's blue chippers. But I digress, Colaiacovo will see time this season, provided there is one, and he will be a decent contibutor for the Leafs. Compared to the other 2 though, Cola is a distant 3rd at this point. Grebeshkov is a player and would have been in the NHL last year, and Babs is one monster player with upside. Let's sit back and enjoy how they're careers unfold.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Actually, I think all three are pretty much eve on wo is the most NHL ready.

And on Colo, he's a great prospect. I completely disagree on him "dominating"
the WJC's since he really did just dominate against some of the lower standard teams.

But who cares? He played great in his first year in the AHL and is progressing nicely. He should get lots of time if he wants it this year in the NHL. He's still one of the better defenseman out there (not as good as some of the people make him out to be but everyone overrates their own prospects).

There's going to be lots of young guys in this year I think...

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Budman said:

I have seen all three. I would have to say Babchuk. I really think Colaiacovo is very overrated and I don't think he will be all that great a d-man

Last edited:

Duster

Feb 20, 2004
Reveille said:
Actually, I think all three are pretty much eve on wo is the most NHL ready.

And on Colo, he's a great prospect. I completely disagree on him "dominating"
the WJC's since he really did just dominate against some of the lower standard teams.

But who cares? He played great in his first year in the AHL and is progressing nicely. He should get lots of time if he wants it this year in the NHL. He's still one of the better defenseman out there (not as good as some of the people make him out to be but everyone overrates their own prospects).

There's going to be lots of young guys in this year I think...

Assuming he makes the starting roster, the rubber will hit the road when he faces the Lecavaliers, Thorntons and Primeaus of this world. He'll have considerable difficulty with NHL calibre power forwards unless he does some serious weight lifting over the summer. For that reason, I place him a distant third.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad