Most NHL ready 2014 draft eligible players

Ace88*

Has another month and a half changed anyones mind on any of these players?

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Has another month and a half changed anyones mind on any of these players?

First time seeing Sam Reinhart since Under 18's, but to be honest, it must be a weak draft if he's even in contention for first overall lol. Good and very smart player, but would not even be mentioned for that pick in previous drafts.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Players expected to go NHL next year straight from draft.

Which players do you think will immediately enter the NHL next year that are drafted in the 2014 draft? I know this is team dependent so it is hard to predict, but who in your eyes will. This mostly applies to CHL guys, because of their inability to play in the AHL, so guys drafted out of europe and college might get a cup of tea but play a majority of the year in the AHL.

i get the hunch that Ekblad and Reinart are all but locks to be up next year, what are the chances on guys like Bennett, Draisaitl, and Dal Colle getting more than a 7 game stint? Last year the guys who did it were Jones, Mackinnon, Barkov, Monahan and Nichushkin.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Reinhart and Ekblad probably. Draisaitl depending on how he does. Maybe Ritchie. Goldobin could be an outsider. For the rest I don't see any reason to rush. They could all benefit from another season in the juniors.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
From the OHL, Ekblad and Ritchie lead the way for most NHL-ready due to their size and the fact that both have three years of OHL experience. I would expect Ekblad to make the jump and Ritchie has a chance, but I'm not saying he's a lock.

Michael Dal Colle could potentially push for a roster spot too but there's still some room for development in his skating so there's no need to rush him into an NHL lineup.

Those three are the most ready from the OHL. Bennett could jump up too but I'd rather see him spend one more year in the league.

Scarbarian*

Ekblad for sure but I hope Draisatl makes it to whichever team that drafts him. I get a good feeling he is a next Kopitar in the making.

Sid82

Dec 17, 2009
weakest draft class in recent years...said this a already a year ago...watch ou for '15 and '16!!!:handclap:

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Weird, because I think this draft class is stronger than last year's.

You know, I kinda feel that way myself. The high end this year maybe isn't as strong as the high end from last year, but I feel like you're more likely to nab an impact player well into the 2nd or 3rd round this year than you were last year. Someone like Josh Ho-Sang being a late 1st or early 2nd is crazy to me when you look at his tools, but then there aren't a lot of guys ahead of him who you'd want to bump to make room for him, either. A guy like Connor Bleackley who could go anywhere from 15th to mid-2nd might turn out to be Todd Harvey at the NHL, but he also might just develop right and turn into Mike Richards. Or a guy like Joe Hicketts. Or Aaron Haydon. Or one of Matt Mistele or Blake Clarke rebounding from terrible draft years.

As far as the OP goes, though, I figure Ekblad (physically and mentally ready) and Reinhart (too smart to go back) are in the NHL next year, as well as Virtanen (He is on a roll, I'm predicting he goes Top 10, maybe higher) and Ritchie (At his size, another year of junior probably isn't necessary and he can cut his teeth as an energy line guy as he develops). Maybe Haydn Fleury.

Ace88*

I expect Ekblad and Draisatl to really be the only two guys that look to be fully ready. Reinhart probably won't be back in junior but he probably should be, Dal Colle i could see making the jump but having a fairly mediocre, tumultuous rookie season, i could see McCann being a dark horse to stick depending who drafts him, Virtanen may stick, Ritchie may stick, a couple others here and there also have a chance after watching a bit more from this season.

But Ekblad i really hope to be an immediate presence in the NHL. I feel playing with men will make him look a lot better. He's much smarter than he gets credit for.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I don't consider any of them close to NHL ready. Not one player. They all should be returned to junior.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I don't consider any of them close to NHL ready. Not one player. They all should be returned to junior.

Completely agree.

A little patience early can really go a long way in the development of prospects. Continue to put them in situations where they can succeed, build confidence, physically/mentally mature, and refine their games. Inserting them into the NHL and throwing them to the wolves before they are truly ready can have quite negative results.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Completely agree.

A little patience early can really go a long way in the development of prospects. Continue to put them in situations where they can succeed, build confidence, physically/mentally mature, and refine their games. Inserting them into the NHL and throwing them to the wolves before they are truly ready can have quite negative results.

Unfortunately #1 picks are not returned to junior (ready or not) and if the #1 pick this year ends up being Ekblad, then it increases the chances of stunting his development. (especially if he ends up in either Edmonton or Buffalo). If Calgary gets him, then I have faith that there is a greater chance Burke will do the right thing and send him back to junior. Personally I'm not a Burkie guy...but when it comes to player development we agree more often than not.

arsmaster*

You know, I kinda feel that way myself. The high end this year maybe isn't as strong as the high end from last year, but I feel like you're more likely to nab an impact player well into the 2nd or 3rd round this year than you were last year. Someone like Josh Ho-Sang being a late 1st or early 2nd is crazy to me when you look at his tools, but then there aren't a lot of guys ahead of him who you'd want to bump to make room for him, either. A guy like Connor Bleackley who could go anywhere from 15th to mid-2nd might turn out to be Todd Harvey at the NHL, but he also might just develop right and turn into Mike Richards. Or a guy like Joe Hicketts. Or Aaron Haydon. Or one of Matt Mistele or Blake Clarke rebounding from terrible draft years.

As far as the OP goes, though, I figure Ekblad (physically and mentally ready) and Reinhart (too smart to go back) are in the NHL next year, as well as Virtanen (He is on a roll, I'm predicting he goes Top 10, maybe higher) and Ritchie (At his size, another year of junior probably isn't necessary and he can cut his teeth as an energy line guy as he develops). Maybe Haydn Fleury.
I think 2013 had a better top 5, but 6-35 is quite similar, it's after 35 where 2013 sets itself apart from 2014.

Last year we had guys like Nic Baptiste and such who fell to the 3rd round. I don't see 2014 being as deep. But it's solid in the first 2 rounds.

What really separates the Klimchuk's, McCarron's, Poirier's, and Gauthiers from the Fabbri, Ho-Sang, Bleackley's, Larkin's, Tuch's and Milano's?

I'd say not that much if anything the 2014 guys look to have more upside
Unfortunately #1 picks are not returned to junior (ready or not) and if the #1 pick this year ends up being Ekblad, then it increases the chances of stunting his development. (especially if he ends up in either Edmonton or Buffalo). If Calgary gets him, then I have faith that there is a greater chance Burke will do the right thing and send him back to junior. Personally I'm not a Burkie guy...but when it comes to player development we agree more often than not.
Burkie's team is being lead in scoring by a 19 year old. Sean Monahan. I think if he got Ekblad, he'd have him in the NHL. None of the others though. They aren't ready.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I think 2013 had a better top 5, but 6-35 is quite similar, it's after 35 where 2013 sets itself apart from 2014.

Last year we had guys like Nic Baptiste and such who fell to the 3rd round. I don't see 2014 being as deep. But it's solid in the first 2 rounds.

What really separates the Klimchuk's, McCarron's, Poirier's, and Gauthiers from the Fabbri, Ho-Sang, Bleackley's, Larkin's, Tuch's and Milano's?

I'd say not that much if anything the 2014 guys look to have more upside

Burkie's team is being lead in scoring by a 19 year old. Sean Monahan. I think if he got Ekblad, he'd have him in the NHL. None of the others though. They aren't ready.

a forward is one thing...plus he's 19 years old. 18 year freshly drafted d-man is another matter entirely.

Ace88*

What on earth indicates that Ekblad isn't ready for the NHL? He's dominating junior and has nothing left to learn there, if anything leaving him down for another year might make him stagnate a bit. He's ready to take the next step.

arsmaster*

a forward is one thing...plus he's 19 years old. 18 year freshly drafted d-man is another matter entirely.

Like Caley said, Ekblad will have had the same amount of seasons in Junior hockey, so the gap isn't huge.

6 months doesn't make that big of a deal when they've accumulated the same amount of experience.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Is Ritchie fat or built? If he's that heavy from muscle then going to the NHL would be better for his game as he no longer needs time to fill out. If it's fat then I would send him back to lose some of that.

He looks kind of like a chubby kid. Maybe he's just got one of those round faces that makes him look fat (kind of like Kessel kind of looks chubby), but Ritchie looks like he could use a summer with Gary Roberts to trim down a bit. For NHL comparison's sake, he looks more like a Dustin Byfuglien than a Milan Lucic, in terms of "build".

In terms of Bennett, I think at least another year in junior will do him good. He's slender, so adding another 10 to 15 lbs. are needed before he steps foot regularly on NHL ice. And having one more year to work on his overall game can't hurt.

NFKappaB

Mo Money Mo Problems
Jun 29, 2011
Nova Scotia
NHL ready 2014 draft prospects?

Which draftee's could potentially start in the NHL in 2014?

Ekblad
Draisaitl

??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad