Most NHL Nr. 1 picks in one game

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I'm struggling to find a game in which there were six in the lineup.

A bit off topic, but an interesting side note: Rob Ramage ('79) played with a fellow 1st overall pick on six different teams. I've gotta think that's a record.

Colorado (Michel Plasse, '68)
St. Louis (Doug Wickenheiser, '80)
Toronto (Wendel Clark, '85)
Minnesota (Bobby Smith, '78, and Mike Modano, '88)
Tampa Bay (Roman Hamrlik, '92)
Philadelphia (Eric Lindros, '91)
Plasse should probably not count, as he was drafted when only the players who had not already signed a C Form could be drafted.

Picks #2 to #5 (Roger Belisle, Jim Pritchard, Gary Swain, Jim Benzelock) of that "draft" year played a total of 9 games in the NHL, all by the same player (Swain).

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I'm a bit confused how the French rights worked for Montreal. My understanding was that the Habs only got to select these guys after the draft was completed, but I do see that Houle was picked first overall.

I remember reading something that the Habs never got much of anything under French rights provision, except for houle, but now it seems he went through the regular draft?
1969 was really the only season when it mattered.

Prior to that season, only players who had not already signed a C Form were elegible to be drafted.

Prior to 1963, there was no draft.

In 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966 and 1967, they did not use that privilege.

In 1968, they used it to draft Michel Plasse and Roger Belisle.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
1969 was really the only season when it mattered.

Prior to that season, only players who had not already signed a C Form were elegible to be drafted.

Prior to 1963, there was no draft.

In 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966 and 1967, they did not use that privilege.

In 1968, they used it to draft Michel Plasse and Roger Belisle.

Interesting. So yeah, the provision was basically window dressing until 1963, as a player who wasn't offered a C form by any team was always going to be a longshot.

I'm curious now why the club declined the ability to use the provision between 64-68 though.

There still appears to be a perception that the Habs built their cups due to this provision, but in reality, they have nobody significant to show for it in their history other than Houle.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Interesting. So yeah, the provision was basically window dressing until 1963, as a player who wasn't offered a C form by any team was always going to be a longshot.

I'm curious now why the club declined the ability to use the provision between 64-68 though.

There still appears to be a perception that the Habs built their cups due to this provision, but in reality, they have nobody significant to show for it in their history other than Houle.
If they used the provision, they lost their 1st-round pick (and 2nd-round pick if they used it for 2 players).

They probably estimated that the non-francophone that they would be drafting with their regular pick was a better prospect than the francophone(s) they could pick using that provision.

Let's not forget Tardif who was a very good player, better than Houle in my estimation.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
in 1990-91, minnesota vs quebec games had bobby smith, modano, sundin, nolan, and lafleur

in 1991-92, minnesota added rob ramage but guy lafleur retired, so still five guys in those games.

but i think that’s as close as you’ll ever get. brian bellows was on both teams and he was a consensus #1 pick and minnesota traded two players to boston so they would leave him for the north stars to take at #2. so we can maybe consider him an honorary #1?

or, in the 91 offseason the north stars took lafleur in the dispersal draft, then later traded him back to quebec, though lafleur retired anyway and didn’t play for either team. does that count for anything?

edit: 1991 is interesting. the oldest #1 in the league (1971), the third oldest (1978), and the three youngest (1988-90).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad