Most memorable playoff game of your favorite team by decade

zimnyi

Oct 11, 2007
Ok, Islanders fan here jealous that the playoffs are going on without Long Island's team so decided to pose a question.

What is the most memorable playoff game that your team has played by decade. It is a tough question (especially for fans of teams like NYI,MTL,EDM) but try to pick one game per decade (of your existence) that sticks out. A win and a loss for each decade....

For me,

1970's. 1975 first round when J.P Parise scored 11 seconds into overtime to beat the Rangers.

Three years later on Coliseum ice, in the first round, Lanny Mcdonald of the Leafs beats us. It continues the lessons that will be learned in order for the early 80's to happen.

1980's.

I am NOT going to choose any of the cup games surprisingly. The one that sticks out in my mind is 1982 when the dynasty almost ended against Pittsburgh. Oh, the drama of the Isles being down by 2 with minutes to go only to come back.

1984 was crushing when the Isles went out in 5 to Edmonton. The drive for five and the dynasty was over. :( Looking at all those tired and beat up faces on the Isles side and watching the kids of Edm take over was the true passing of the torch.

Honorable mention to Lafontaine in '87 VS. Caps.

1990's

1993 Patrick Division Finals Game 7... David Volek. nuff said.

1993 Wales Conference Finals Game 2 on Montreal Forum ice, Brad Dalgarno is injured and ref fails to blow the whistle as Canadiens tie the game. I am convinced had the Isles picked up a win there, the series would have went in their favor. Ok, maybe not because of Roy BUT it would have went 7.

2000's

Shawn Bates versus the Leafs in Game 4 at the Coliseum in 2002. Truly magical moment as that place was shaking.

2003 East Quarters Game 3 at the Coliseum as Todd White scores in double OT for a Senators win. The Isles and their fans had been magical during the home games of '02 and that carried over to the first playoff home game of 2003. Garth Snow was phenomenal in that game but Todd White grabbed a great deflection deflating the crowd and the Isles home playoff games for the rest of the early part of that decade only produced 1 more goal in 3 games (04 vs. TB).

Your turn....

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
70s - did the Canucks have a memorable playoff game in the 70s?
80s - 1982 Cup run - the game against Chicago where Roger Neilson waved the white towel, starting Towel Power
90s - game 6 of the Cup finals. "He'll play on crutches!"
00s - game 1 of the Stars series - a billion shots in a million overtimes.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
For the Sens...

90s - Game three of the '98 ECQF vs. the Devils. It was the first playoff game I'd ever attended. The eighth-seeded Sens split the first two games in NJ against the conference champs. Alexei Yashin scored a powerplay goal in overtime to give the Sens a 2-1. I'll never forget that goal - he took a pass from Janne Laukkanen and fired a seeing-eye shot through about seventeen players in front of the net. It was one of those goals that nobody in the building expected .. there was a splitsecond between when the twine bulged and when the building erupted.

00s - The obvious choice here is Game 5 vs. the Sabres in 2007, but I didn't see that game (I was camping), so I can't really count it. That said, I'm going with Game 6 of the 2004 ECQF vs. Toronto. The Sens needed a win to force a seventh game. I had a stats exam the following morning, and spent the entire day cramming with a couple of friends. The game came on at 7:00, and during every commercial break and intermission, we ran back to the books for a few minutes of studying. Obviously, with someplace to be early in the morning, the game goes to double-overtime, with the Sens coming out on top.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Leafs:

1950s: Bill Barilko disappeared, that summer, he was on a fishing trip. The last goal he ever scored (in overtime), won the Leafs the cup.

1960s: Game 6 of the 1967 finals, for obvious reasons.

1970s: The peak moment of this decade was when Lanny McDonald scored in OT to eliminate the favoured Islanders in 1978 and get to the 3rd round for the last time in 15 years.

1980s: I'm going to pick the 8-0 whitewashing at MLG at the hands of the Red Wings in 1988 because it typefies the decade well.

1990s: There are so many to choose from. 1993, Round 3, Game 6 really sticks out because that is the game the Leafs got screwed out of a trip to the finals. Honorable mentions: 1993 round 1 game 7 vs. Wings, 1993 round 2 game 1 vs. Blues (Gilmour's OT goal from behind the net), 1993 round 3 game 7 vs. Kings (a back and forth battle ultimately won by a fluke goal), 1994 round 2 game 6 vs. Sharks (Ozolinsh should have passed, Garpenlov should have aimed lower, Gartner scored to force game 7), and 1999 game 6 vs. Flyers (Berard made a toe save to preserve 0-0 tie, Berezin scores on PP with a minute left after obvious elbow by LeClair, Snider and Leclair's post-game comments worth the price of admission)

2000s: Tons of games with the sens stand out but the best was game 6 in 2002. The sens had just gone up on the physically drained Leafs 3-2 in the series on a controversial goal by Alfredsson after the Leafs played the game of their lives just to tie it up. The Leafs gave up two quick goals in ottawa and the series was as good as over. Then Ricard Persson took a boarding major after Domi embellished in the corner, and the Leafs got the goal they needed to get back in the game. They ended up ahead 3-2, then the Sens tied it, then Green and Mogilny combined for a nice goal off a stolen puck, and the Leafs made the lead stand to force a game 7 at home. Best "gutsy performance" by my Leafs in my lifetime.

Master_Of_Districts

Apr 9, 2007
Black Ruthenia
My choices for the most memorable Habs playoff games from 1995 onward (I didn't become a fan until that year).

1995-2000

Win:

Not a lot of victories to choose from during this period, but I'll go with Game 1 of the 1998 ECQF against Pittsburgh. Benoit Brunet flies into the Pittsburgh zone down the left wing and scores the overtime winner with an absolute cannon of a shot. Barrasso never had a chance. Earlier in the overtime period, Morozov hits the post on a penalty shot, which was awarded due to Brisebois having intentionally pushed the net off in the midst of a Pittsburgh scoring
chance.

Loss:

Game 3 of the ECSF against Buffalo. The Habs badly outshoot and outplay the Sabres but lose 5-4 in OT. Peca scores the OT winner with a slapshot from the high slot after a period of sustained pressure by the Sabres. That one hurt.

2000-present

Win:

Game 2 of the 2006 ECQF against Carolina. Exciting back and forth game with no shortage of scoring, intensity and drama. Habs take an early 3-0 on account of Gerber's ineptitude, but the Canes fight back to take a 4-3 lead. Habs retake the lead on goals by Kovalev and Zednik, only to lose on a Stillman goal in the final two minutes of the third period. Ryder wins the game 6-5 in OT.

Loss

Game 4 of the 2004 ECQF against Boston. Glen Murray scores the OT winner after Kovalev feigns/embellishes/favors (depends who you talk you) injury after a Travis Green slash, ultimately running into Souray and giving Murray a partial breakaway. Absolutely devastating loss.

Ogopogo*

1984 Game 5 Stanley Cup Finals - First Cup
1987 Game 7 Stanley Cup Finals
1991 Game 7 vs Calgary - Tikkanen carries the team on his back

Payne

Aug 27, 2005
1984 Game 5 Stanley Cup Finals - First Cup
1987 Game 7 Stanley Cup Finals
1991 Game 7 vs Calgary - Tikkanen carries the team on his back

For the 90's I'll add game one vs. the Bruins. Ranford... Power Outage! Glen Wesley missing the open net... Kurri drop pass to Klima @ 15:13 of the third OT... Classic.

00's - Game 6 vs. Carolina. The 1st period was probably was some of the best hockey I've ever witnessed. The Oil played too good in that game in fact... It was the wake-up call the Hurricanes needed for Game 7.

TheBigBadCat

Nov 7, 2006
NJ
1983 game # 5 Islanders vs Rangers Bob Bourne end to end rush , put the puck between Reijo Ruotsalainen feet around the net and scored .

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
My choices for the most memorable Habs playoff games from 1995 onward (I didn't become a fan until that year).

1995-2000

Win:

Not a lot of victories to choose from during this period, but I'll go with Game 1 of the 1998 ECQF against Pittsburgh. Benoit Brunet flies into the Pittsburgh zone down the left wing and scores the overtime winner with an absolute cannon of a shot. Barrasso never had a chance. Earlier in the overtime period, Morozov hits the post on a penalty shot, which was awarded due to Brisebois having intentionally pushed the net off in the midst of a Pittsburgh scoring
chance.

Loss:

Game 3 of the ECSF against Buffalo. The Habs badly outshoot and outplay the Sabres but lose 5-4 in OT. Peca scores the OT winner with a slapshot from the high slot after a period of sustained pressure by the Sabres. That one hurt.

2000-present

Win:

Game 2 of the 2006 ECQF against Carolina. Exciting back and forth game with no shortage of scoring, intensity and drama. Habs take an early 3-0 on account of Gerber's ineptitude, but the Canes fight back to take a 4-3 lead. Habs retake the lead on goals by Kovalev and Zednik, only to lose on a Stillman goal in the final two minutes of the third period. Ryder wins the game 6-5 in OT.

Loss

Game 4 of the 2004 ECQF against Boston. Glen Murray scores the OT winner after Kovalev feigns/embellishes/favors (depends who you talk you) injury after a Travis Green slash, ultimately running into Souray and giving Murray a partial breakaway. Absolutely devastating loss.
Not bad.

For the Canadiens, I'd say their definitive game of the 1990s was Game 2 of the 1993 Stanley Cup Finals. Habs come back after trailing 2-0. Of course, it is the game with Marty McSorley's stick.

In the 2000s, Game 7 of the 2004 ECQF against the Bruins comes to mind. The Canadiens cap a 3-1 comeback with a brilliant performance by Jose Theodore.

ADD-devil950003

Dec 6, 2006
NY
Kinda an easy one for me....Jason Arnott in the 2nd OT against Dallas, in Dallas to win the Stanley Cup!

Another one that was great for me was a couple years ago when the Sens beat the Devils in the second round. That part of it sucked but in game 2 Langenbrunner finishing it in double OT while being at the game myself, is one memory i will never forget. It totally killed the bad memories i had from attending the 2003 ECF against the sens, when i was at the one home game the devils lost that year in game 6 in OT. Clearly 2003>2006 but man that game was awesome!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad