Most Memorable Moments Countdown v.2018

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
wanted to do this last off season but never did……and here were are in '18, past the draft and FA frenzy stuff…our big news being mike greir :scared:

anyways, i figured we could look back on the 25th anniversary version if the list (which im sure plenty here remember)

we could easily add another 10 as its been over 10 years first and then see where these new moments would be slotted in relation to the first 25?

we'll all have our own ideas and im not about to just list off mine…..but ya……"henrique, its over" will probably be on every list….and there should be plenty to agree with along with reasonings behind position in the new list

cheers, and have at it

------------------------------------------------

25 Year Series - Memorable Moment Videos

25. Niedermayer Wins Norris
June 11, 2004

24. Uniform Change

January 29, 1992

23. Daneyko Wins Masterton / Gomez Wins Calder

June 15, 2000

22. Team Arrives in New Jersey

May 27, 1982

21. Lemieux Torches Flyers

June 11, 1995

20. Scott Stevens Ices Penguins

May 22, 1995

19. Cup # 2

June 10, 2000

18. Ken Daneyko, All-Time Leader for Games Played

December 8, 1998

17. Devils Win 1st Playoff Series

April 14, 1988

16. Devils Win 1st Patrick Division Championship

April 30, 1988

15. Game 2 in Detroit

June 20, 1995

14. Devils Clinch 1st Playoff Berth

April 3, 1988

13. Game 7 at Ottawa

May 23, 2003

12. Back to Back Vezina Wins

2003 & 2004

11. “The Streak"

April 18, 2006

10. Brodeur wins Calder, Lemaire wins Adams

June 16, 1994

9. The Beginning of “Brodeur’s Brilliance”

8. Devils Acquire Stevens

September 3, 1991

7. Daneyko Honored

March 24, 2006

6. Brodeur Scores

April 17, 1997

5. Devils Handcuff Toronto

May 8, 2000

4. Cup # 3

June 9, 2003

3. Stevens "4 Ever"

February 3, 2006

2. The Comeback

May 26, 2000

1. Devils win Stanley Cup

June 24, 1995

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah Henrique it's over and Marty breaking the all-time wins record are definites post-2007. And Hall winning the Hart with Boyle winning the Masterton would bump Dano/Gomez off the list too, if it were just a list of 25. Plus there've been three more number retirements as well (Nieds, Marty, Elias) that could bump some of the more esoteric ones off like Dano's games played and the uniform change.

Reactions: My3Sons

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Yeah Henrique it's over and Marty breaking the all-time wins record are definites post-2007. And Hall winning the Hart with Boyle winning the Masterton bumps Dano/Gomez off the list too. Plus there've been three more number retirements as well (Nieds, Marty, Elias).

i was hoping to expand the list to 35 and place the new ones accordingly…..cup run '12 should be there somewhere also as it was a bit unexpected

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If you were truly doing a most memorable list, moving to NJ and the three Cup wins would probably be first, then the number retirements, then maybe the 1988 stuff before you got to anything else. I don't really get that list as is...sure Elias burning the Flyers was a great moment and belonged on the list but #2? With Arnott's double-OT goal in the Cup Finals at #19? They probably had the right moments for a top 25 (other than leaving the 334 club off probably) but in a strange order.

Adding ten since then would be easy. The six I mentioned earlier - number retirements, Hall, Henrique, Marty's wins record, then probably Elias and Marty's last games and the first game at the Rock I suppose (since that list was just before the move)...I guess Lou stepping aside and having Shero replace him would be the tenth.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
“The trade is one for one” is probably somewhere on this list

on the original list there is number 8 where we got stevens……but remember, the list was made after the 3 cups……i doubt "141" gets on it 2 times as the hart trophy win would cover hall in a trophy win capacity…..its way to early to say the trade is list worthy to me

for reference off the original list

11 were team accomplishments (non cup)/game moments
7 trophy related
3 are honouring - 2 number retirements and danos all time games played honouring
3 off ice happenings - the move to jersey, uniform change and acquiring stevens
1 is the beginning of marty

Last edited:

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
If you were truly doing a most memorable list, moving to NJ and the three Cup wins would probably be first, then the number retirements, then maybe the 1988 stuff before you got to anything else. I don't really get that list as is...sure Elias burning the Flyers was a great moment and belonged on the list but #2? With Arnott's double-OT goal in the Cup Finals at #19? They probably had the right moments for a top 25 (other than leaving the 334 club off probably) but in a strange order.

Adding ten since then would be easy. The six I mentioned earlier - number retirements, Hall, Henrique, Marty's wins record, then probably Elias and Marty's last games and the first game at the Rock I suppose (since that list was just before the move)...I guess Lou stepping aside and having Shero replace him would be the tenth.

i think the original was done by fan submissions and the team complied each fans list into how many times whatever moment was mentioned (if my memory /no pun/ serves me right)

but ya, to each their own…..maybe patty burning the flyers meant something to someone more than others……just as the 6 shots vs the leafs '00 means alot to me

you do have a point about a "true" list though……'memorable vs memorable' all depends on how you look at what definition or criteria you value

Last edited:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Some other events that deserve mention if not added to the list

*Patrik Sundstrom's 8-point night in the playoffs vs Wash, 1988

*"Eat a donut you fat pig" and all of the fallout

*1st Devils win in team history, vs the Rags at the Brendan Byrne Arena

*Devils first team to sign Russians, Fetisov

*Kovalchuk drama

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

*Kovalchuk drama

last game in swamp/first game at rock

saw them both live ;)

….chico night deserves mention at the very least

Reactions: Bleedred

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I can't believe the donut incident wasn't on the original 25. Also Mickey Mouse incident and the next home game we won against them. One of my most memorable was Corey Schwab fighting Tommy Soderstrom. Laurie Boschman's disallowed goal against the Penns that lost us that series stick out in a bad way.

As for post 2007, Brodeur breaking the record was actually more electric for me than the 2nd and 3rd cup. It's definitely #2 for me personally.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I can't believe the donut incident wasn't on the original 25. Also Mickey Mouse incident and the next home game we won against them. One of my most memorable was Corey Schwab fighting Tommy Soderstrom. Laurie Boschman's disallowed goal against the Penns that lost us that series stick out in a bad way.

As for post 2007, Brodeur breaking the record was actually more electric for me than the 2nd and 3rd cup. It's definitely #2 for me personally.

thats the thing, the cups are the pinnacle of success but the 552 does it for you in a different way and that works too……maybe some people werent even fans when most of the early stuff happened and more recent things mean more to them

(not saying that with you)

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
thats the thing, the cups are the pinnacle of success but the 552 does it for you in a different way and that works too……maybe some people werent even fans when most of the early stuff happened and more recent things mean more to them

(not saying that with you)
I guess it was the atmosphere in the building. Not knowing he was going to break it that night, then going up by enough goals that it seemed inevitable. The crowd was as loud and enthusiastic as any playoff game I've been to. For me at least, it was right up there with the cup wins.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

*Kovalchuk drama
The mention of the 8 point game from Sundstrom in the 88 playoffs also made me think of the night that John Madden and Randy McKay scored 4 goals in the same game! Was that mentioned already?

Zubrus had a 4 goal game against the TBL in Tampa, about a decade back. I was supposed to be in town for that game and was gonna go see it, but wound up not coming? Or maybe coming a couple days later? I forget. It was around Thanksgiving of 2008.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

*Kovalchuk drama

I remember the video of the Koharski moment. Good times. I still don’t understand the legal authority used by Lou to get an injunction to allow the coach to play over a league suspension. I get the irreparable harm but where is the likelihood of success on the merits? The league has the power to suspend who it wants. Judge was probably a season ticket holder.

I remember watching Fetisov and Kasatonov against WAS in the playoffs. I expected them to be so much better with all the hype. I remember that Sumdstrom night vaguely. My3Sons meets Dano in Bingo 1984 should really be on everyone’s list. Also My3Sons meets Dano at draft party about 10 years ago and asks him if he remembers meeting My3Sons and Dano looking at me like I had three or four heads. Finally My3Sons co counsel on a case with a woman who had gone on a couple of dates with Dano years ago. I’m shocked those hadn’t been mentioned yet.

Reactions: njdevils1982

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I remember the video of the Koharski moment. Good times. I still don’t understand the legal authority used by Lou to get an injunction to allow the coach to play over a league suspension. I get the irreparable harm but where is the likelihood of success on the merits? The league has the power to suspend who it wants. Judge was probably a season ticket holder.

I remember watching Fetisov and Kasatonov against WAS in the playoffs. I expected them to be so much better with all the hype. I remember that Sumdstrom night vaguely. My3Sons meets Dano in Bingo 1984 should really be on everyone’s list. Also My3Sons meets Dano at draft party about 10 years ago and asks him if he remembers meeting My3Sons and Dano looking at me like I had three or four heads. Finally My3Sons co counsel on a case with a woman who had gone on a couple of dates with Dano years ago. I’m shocked those hadn’t been mentioned yet.

haha…..hilarious shit man

if were going that route, i have very fond memory of a couple of sens tour buses pulling into the CAA for (what turned out to be the last game there) and some terrific shit talk being launched at their fans. (surprisingly in good fun as the sens fans could take it)……but there was this one bbq sauce bottle that i saw just whipped without any specific aim other than towards the sens fans, just skyed towards the buses while they were disembarking …..and some random shit talk yelled from the thrower as it happened.

comical…..who the hell knows where it actually landed

--------

back on topic, doc night deserves mention but most likely would not make the top 35

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Think you hit all the modern ones. What is the moment for Hall though?

Like awards night? The point streak? A specific game?

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Think you hit all the modern ones. What is the moment for Hall though?

Like awards night? The point streak? A specific game?

well with the original list there was a short write up of the reasons or history behind the events ……with hall it has to be the hart trophy with mention of the streak within it.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
You know what never gets any love. Game 7 Buffalo in 1994

It was the first time we won a playoff series in 6 years. Lost a crippling game 6. Trailing early staring down Hasek. Brodeur makes a godly save and the tide turns

That series win showed me the franchise had arrived.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
henrique its over is easily the second biggest moment on the ice for this franchise. 95 cup being the first obviously.

the "biggest" game i've ever been to was the 03 cup win and the henrique game. two totally different atmospheres. the place was exploded in 2012 with that goal and finally put an end to the wound of 94 if i remember correctly to the exact day of messiers guarantee no less. you seriously couldn't have scripted it any better. the only 2 downsides 1 i wish it was at continental the bridge walk would've been a sight to see and 2. losing in the finals. losing in the finals eliminated what would have been the greatest championship dvd the devils could've ever produced.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
henrique its over is easily the second biggest moment on the ice for this franchise. 95 cup being the first obviously.

the "biggest" game i've ever been to was the 03 cup win and the henrique game. two totally different atmospheres. the place was exploded in 2012 with that goal and finally put an end to the wound of 94 if i remember correctly to the exact day of messiers guarantee no less. you seriously couldn't have scripted it any better. the only 2 downsides 1 i wish it was at continental the bridge walk would've been a sight to see and 2. losing in the finals. losing in the finals eliminated what would have been the greatest championship dvd the devils could've ever produced.

No. It's big, huge even, but not number two.

Games 2 - Stevens "You're next", 27 goes coast to coast
Game 4 1995 Cup -Sarge goal, Peluso in the final moments
Arnott's Cup clincher in 2000
The series clinching game over OTT in 2003

Are all bigger moments. I'd mix it in with Johnny Mac's goal in 1988 as just behind the list above.

Marty's goal against MTL in 1997 is another one in the mix.

Last edited:

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I would totally have the Arnott goal in the top 3. personally. Fondest memory of my youth, no doubt. I was only 6 when '95 happened so that one is certainly much foggier to remember my personal memories, but 2000 was such a blast. Watching the A-Line do their thing was so much fun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad