Most Loyal and Passionate fans of the 7 canadiens cities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Again, that's not what the OP asks at all

Passionate fans, but doesn't mention crowd. OP didn't mention live games. Live games do not represent every city properly.

If that was the question I'd be all for it. The Leaf crowd is subdued and tickets are ridiculously expensive and difficult to get ahold of.

Then it should. Having a passionate and loud crowd is a bad thing? But if you want to expand on this. The atmosphere outside the Bell Center with the restaurants and people is also 2nd to none. The old town is also buzzing after a game. Funny you are arguing with me on comparing my own experiences of answering the OP's question where you were not there?

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Loyal goes to Edmonton. To stick with that team through that 10-11 year span takes a lot of patience.

Passionate? I'll go with the Jets.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Went with Toronto.

70 years with no Cup. I'm not sure how many teams would have such undying, vocal support after such a ridiculous drought.

Check your math please......

Anyway - I know Oilers fans went through a lot, even with the Lowe era, but the '80s and '90s, you guys had success and Cups, even made it to the finals and lost to Carolina (if I'm right), and that was not so long ago.

Imagine being a Leafs fan (like I am).....nothing, not even an appearance in the finals, since 1967! Ballard years, meddling ownership/management after Ballard, etc. etc. etc..... Still sell out, still the most popular team in the world (I am assuming this is the truth, or at least very close), pride (despite more failure than anything else).

Also - to the poster who mentioned a Saturday night game in Montreal..... That's got to be awesome. Double it like this... a Montreal/Toronto game on a Saturday night! Saw one at Maple Leaf Gardens, and one at Bell Centre. Especially the MLG game..... just being around the arena, and walking the concourses, etc..... watching the pre game warm ups...... There is just that extra "feel" to these games!

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Habs/Leafs

Both fanbase remain strangely passionate despite suffering through long bouts of terrible management over he years.

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA
Montreal for most passionate. But loyalty? Definitely the Oilers. And not just the fans, but media too. For a team to suffer through 10 years of garbage, and still have the media show optimism every single summer is pretty impressive. Even in the middle of that 10 year stretch, you still had Ron Mclean proclaiming ''how many cups''.

And after those 10 years, the fans came back in droves. In fact they probably never left. Pretty sure every Edmonton home game has been sold out since the '06 cup run (correct me if I'm wrong).

Love them or hate them, I truly do respect Edmonton fans for going through what they did, and yet still show up in full force each and every game.

Without a doubt in my mind, the most loyal fans in hockey.

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Selling out through 10 years of no playoffs. And when we made the playoffs were the loudest fans up there with Nashville. My vote may be homeish but it is Edmonton.

Agreed thats what i was thinking. Id love to homer vote Vancity but a couple a crappy years now and the arena is half empty of depending in the opponent half of the remaining fans are cheering for the other team. Dark years ahead still :cry:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Montreal of passionate. But loyalty? Definitely the Oilers. And not just the fans, but media too. For a team to suffer through 10 years of garbage, and still have the media show optimism every single summer is pretty impressive. Even in the middle of that 10 year stretch, you still had Ron Mclean proclaiming ''how many cups''.

And after those 10 years, the fans came back in droves. In fact they probably never lift. Pretty sure every Edmonton home game has been sold out since the '06 cup run (correct me if I'm wrong).

Love them or hate them, I truly do respect Edmonton fans for going through what they did, and yet still show up in full force each and every game.

Without a doubt in my mind, the most loyal fans in hockey.

I would 2nd this. Montreal as most passionate, Perhaps Edmonton as most loyal. Habs fans rioted the streets of Montreal during the Campbell/Richard riots. No other fanbase has done this in hockey. Oilers fans have sold out during some dark years. I don't believe they have as strong a corporate audience as others to bank on also.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Check your math please......

Anyway - I know Oilers fans went through a lot, even with the Lowe era, but the '80s and '90s, you guys had success and Cups, even made it to the finals and lost to Carolina (if I'm right), and that was not so long ago.

Imagine being a Leafs fan (like I am).....nothing, not even an appearance in the finals, since 1967! Ballard years, meddling ownership/management after Ballard, etc. etc. etc..... Still sell out, still the most popular team in the world (I am assuming this is the truth, or at least very close), pride (despite more failure than anything else).

Also - to the poster who mentioned a Saturday night game in Montreal..... That's got to be awesome. Double it like this... a Montreal/Toronto game on a Saturday night! Saw one at Maple Leaf Gardens, and one at Bell Centre. Especially the MLG game..... just being around the arena, and walking the concourses, etc..... watching the pre game warm ups...... There is just that extra "feel" to these games!

Hahahaha oops that was clearly meant to be a 50 instead of 70. Maybe that is foreshadowing.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Then it should. Having a passionate and loud crowd is a bad thing? But if you want to expand on this. The atmosphere outside the Bell Center with the restaurants and people is also 2nd to none. The old town is also buzzing after a game. Funny you are arguing with me on comparing my own experiences of answering the OP's question where you were not there?

Obviously you and I spend almost no time hanging out unless my memory is failing me.

I was merely pointing out the poll.

Arena atmosphere is important. But you're crazy if you think it's a proper representation of the Leaf fanbase. Even on this board during GDTs Leaf fans are pretty vocal about their annoyance of the crowd.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Selling out through 10 years of no playoffs. And when we made the playoffs were the loudest fans up there with Nashville. My vote may be homeish but it is Edmonton.

That's because there's no other options for entertainment. Even when you guys were bad it was still entertaining. The jersey tosses and paper bag heads :laugh:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Obviously you and I spend almost no time hanging out unless my memory is failing me.

I was merely pointing out the poll.

Arena atmosphere is important. But you're crazy if you think it's a proper representation of the Leaf fanbase. Even on this board during GDTs Leaf fans are pretty vocal about their annoyance of the crowd.

It's not just live audience. I think you are underestimating what the Canadiens mean to Montreal. They do not have the Expos anymore. Basically it is the Canadiens carrying the torch for their pro sports teams. Soccer and CFL are fine there as they support them also. Better than Toronto does, though BMO field was an improvement. But again I am just commenting on my own fan experiences. I have been to games in the old forum and the Bell center, and have been there on a game on a Saturday to compare them with other experiences. Based on the OP's question, it's Montreal for me.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I would 2nd this. Montreal as most passionate, Perhaps Edmonton as most loyal. Habs fans rioted the streets of Montreal during the Campbell/Richard riots. No other fanbase has done this in hockey. Oilers fans have sold out during some dark years. I don't believe they have as strong a corporate audience as others to bank on also.

Vancouver rioted following the 2011 finals. Why is rioting a good thing though? Passion isn't only expressed in unhealthy ways.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
This isn't really something you can gauge.

There are passionate fans from every fan-base etc.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
I'll pick Toronto. The Leafs fans went through a lot but they always hoped the team would turn it around, and they did.
That playoff run isn't turning it around any more than their last time in the playoffs.
They were sold more hope this time, no way have Toronto already turned it around in any massive way.
The moment they start being in the talks of contending cups that's when they really turned it around. Not whatever that last year was.
As a Nashville fan, Oilers have the most loyal fanbase. The numbers don't lie. That was an abysmal tenure and the fans were behind them the whole time.

Then again I thought about it again..
Who actually cares who is the most 'loyal' though? Seems like an ego booster for no reason. 'Look at me I'm a loyal fan and dish out cash to a multimillion company'

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Define passion.

Loud arena? Probably the Jets.

Although that is harder to judge as Montreal and Toronto will have "real" fans unable to afford tickets, so noise might not be the best factor.

Team support? Only one team has the longest drought, has been a laughing stock almost the entire time and the punching bag of fans of other teams, and STILL sold out every game and been a top grossing franchise.

I agree with this post, jets fans are awesome... but you got to give credit to the leaf fans, they went through a long drought and they were still probably the largest fan base in the league.

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
Vancouver has got to be near the bottom, I live in BC and work with the public and see way more Habs and Leaf hats, the bruins too

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
How people don't think the Leafs are #1 in loyalty, I can't gather.

If you're a hater, remember you use the fact that we're the only Canadian team to not make to the SCF, in expansion.

..and we always sold out, never drafted well, Ballard.

Sorry Oil, you just don't compare with your success.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I agree with this post, jets fans are awesome... but you got to give credit to the leaf fans, they went through a long drought and they were still probably the largest fan base in the league.

Having a larger fan base due to population is not what I would term as most loyal or most passionate. For example I would not term the Cubs fans until they won the world series last year as the most loyal or passionate either. Longest suffering yes. But this is not my interpretation of what the OP is asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->