Most intense NHL team rivalries ever?

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Yes, a common & bittersweet refrain amongst both Red Wings & Colorado fans. Have had this discussion with many of them on other Boards here at hf.... as a Rangers fan, who would you mark as being New York's greatest foe or rival? New Jersey perhaps due to their successes, the sort of Ugly Duckling, or maybe Philly?

I'm a youngling, plus my brother is a Devils fan...so I think you can guess the answer. :laugh: Didn't help that a big part of the Rangers' dark ages from 98-04 was a 23-game winless streak against the Devils. And the Devils made the finals three times in four years during that stretch, with two cups. That left a lasting hatred of the team across the river.

Objectively, I'd say the answer has to be the Islanders, if we're considering the expansion era only. But for each individual fan, I'd say it would be whatever team was best and tormented the Rangers the most when that fan first started getting into hockey. I'd guess that the vast majority of Rangers fans over thirty would say the Islanders. Guys like me between twenty and thirty would probably say the Devils. And more recent fans would say the Pens. Sprinkle in some Flyers hatred here and there.

For what it's worth, very few fans say the Bruins, even though you can argue that over the entire history of the Rangers organization, the Bruins have had more battles with the Blueshirts than anyone else.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Makes sense and pretty much what Ive learned & experienced over the years in that city. A generational thing, depends on when New Yorkers took up the game as fans. Bit of a moving target between the Islanders & Devils. Will be interesting to see what develops when the former move to Brooklyn.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
^^^ Makes sense and pretty much what Ive learned & experienced over the years in that city. A generational thing, depends on when New Yorkers took up the game as fans. Bit of a moving target between the Islanders & Devils. Will be interesting to see what develops when the former move to Brooklyn.

Fair point, I never really thought about the Islanders moving to Brooklyn and what that might do to the rivalry and the evolution of each fanbase. Would be interesting to see if the rivalry gets inherently stronger or weaker because of it.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Fair point, I never really thought about the Islanders moving to Brooklyn and what that might do to the rivalry and the evolution of each fanbase.

Well, if it doesnt work out in Brooklyn mrhockey I suggest they move to Davids Island out there in Westchester. No need even for a name change. The Islanders.... though I guess if you want, Fort Slocum Blue Bellies. Has a nice ring to it.... mind ye', Charlie Wang, might be thinkin Oahu. The Big Island. Mebbe Honolulu. Wouldnt surprise me.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
I'd say Islanders-Rangers in the 70's/80's as that one was close to home. Besides my Seals, I was a Rangers fan and I hated the Islanders and their fans, thought they were spoiled. My buddies (all Ranger fans too) and I went to quite a few games at the Coliseum those first few seasons ($3 student discount tickets!). We went there to watch NHL hockey, not to root for the Islanders. And they were a bit nuts like me; I don't think we ever saw Montreal, Boston, Chicago, etc., heck, we could see those teams all the time on the Sunday NHL Game of the Week - instead we liked to see the expansion teams because they got so little coverage in the major markets. I'm off on a tangent as usual but once the Islanders started getting better and people decided to become fans, there was a lot of animosity in school between factions. POTVIN SUCKS!

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Pretty impressive organizationally, in terms of Managing, Scouting & Coaching when you consider that the Islanders pretty much turned it on from startup with guys like Billy Harris, Ed Westfall & Terry Crisp to full speed over about their first 3-4 seasons. Ya they lost a lot a lot those first few years but they did have some decent vets, terrific talent obviously obtained through the Drafts.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
My top-10 in no particular order.....

Montreal vs. Quebec
Montreal vs. Toronto
Montreal vs. Boston
Montreal vs. Philadelphia
Detroit vs. Colorado
Rangers vs. Islanders
Chicago vs. St. Louis
Chicago vs. Detroit
Philadelphia vs. Pittsburgh
Edmonton vs. Calgary

bigbuffalo313

Apr 28, 2012
New York
As a Rangers fan it is the Devils. The Pens are getting closer. Philly kind of just sucked last year, which in my opinion kind of killed the rivalry between them. If the Isles return to their glory day, then that rivalry will come back strong. While Boston used to be great, currently it is more for the people who are new fans, but hate other Boston like the Red Sox, Pats, and Celtics

Last edited:

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
Rivalries don't get any better than pre expansion, 1967-68, when the teams played fourteen games against each other during the regular season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad