Music: Most influential albums or music

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
PIXIES - GIGANTIC

WHY?

"Cobain drew influence from the Pixies — an alternative rock band — in composing his “pop” song. “I was basically trying to rip off the Pixies. I have to admit it. When I heard the Pixies for the first time, I connected with that band so heavily I should have been in that band — or at least in a Pixies cover band. We used their sense of dynamics, being soft and quiet and then loud and hard.”

Smells like teen spirit is a total rip off of Gigantic.

PIXIES!

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Although they weren't the first, The Graduate and The Saturday Night Fever Soundtracks were notable as the biggest movie soundtracks using new original songs more or less specifically for the movie. Especially, if you don't include musicals that were turned movies and movies who had mood or thematic music written for it, but weren't really stand alone songs apart from the movie.

The Elvis movies also did this (or cowboy movies by the likes of Gene Autry), but in almost all cases, the songs were performances on screen as part of the plot. Sometimes, even as a substitute for dialogue.

A lot of the Bee Gees music was written before SNF, but their placement within the movie is seamless. Ditto Simon And Garfunkel and The Graduate.

My Best-Carey

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
The Miami Vice soundtrack was generally the first television soundtrack to use original songs specifically for the show. Basically, the first TV soundtrack that was presented like a traditional movie soundtrack. See above. The Monkees and Partridge Family among others, had TV soundtracks but these were performances by the stars of the show.

My Best-Carey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad