Most impressive goalie in the tournament?

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Sebastien Stefaniszin

No question about it, he has been the best followed by Varlamov

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Out of group B teams, I would say Varlamov has been the most solid goaltender. Although he hasn't really gotten a chance to shine or make too many spectacular saves as Russia has yet to rely on him too heavily.

FTowwn

Jan 25, 2006
Canada
the German goalies have both been solid and come out of nowhere, but still no match to Carey Price. havent had a chance to see Varlamov play yet tho

lilooet*

It's a shame no pool B games have been shown here in Canada. TSN's a sports channel and this is the biggest event at the moment and they have the cameras there. They'd rather show poker I guess.

Point is: I'd like to watch Rask and Varlamov and Valetenko and Frolik etc.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
It's tough to say..obviously in pool "A" both Carey Price and the two German goalies have been good..but i have to give it to Carey Price. He was beaten by a couple of fluke goals and has played against arguably the two other teams competing for gold in this (Sweden and the U.S.). Also his play with the puck is just beautiful to watch..he's like a third defencemen.

In pool "B" Russia has made a believer out of me and i think they will be right in the mix of things as well. Varlamov has seemingly played great for the Russians, but I obviously have not seen any of their games so who really knows...it might also be a result of being in the weaker of the two pools.

That being said, obviously my top three would be Price, Varlamov and the German goalie..

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
It's tough to say..obviously in pool "A" both Carey Price and the two German goalies have been good..but i have to give it to Carey Price. He was beaten by a couple of fluke goals and has played against arguably the two other teams competing for gold in this (Sweden and the U.S.). Also his play with the puck is just beautiful to watch..he's like a third defencemen.

In pool "B" Russia has made a believer out of me and i think they will be right in the mix of things as well. Varlamov has seemingly played great for the Russians, but I obviously have not seen any of their games so who really knows...it might also be a result of being in the weaker of the two pools.

That being said, obviously my top three would be Price, Varlamov and the German goalie..
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Exactly!

Kaktus*

Well only in North America USA team was considered to go anywhere. I was unimpressed with OT loss to Germany and OT win against Sweden. Maybe I will eat my words later but at this point.. USA is lucky to get 3rd place and I mean real lucky.
I do agree about Price and his play with the puck.

How is pool A stronger then pool B? Slovaks are not even a team and while Germany is a surprise I think it has to do with goal scoring ability uf USA, Canada and Sweden. They play good D but thats about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Before the tourney:
1. Tuuku Rask
2. Carey Price
3. Varlamov

Now:
1. Carey Price
2. German Goalie
3. Varlamov

Im very dissapointed with Rask so far as well (though I am a Hab fan ;)

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Varlamov and Price, easily. Having not seen Varlamov, I have to rely on stats and reports from credible witnesses, but all are glowing. And having seen all Price's work, he's put on a great display of top quality goaltending so far. He's a better athlete than 99 per cent of the guys at this tournament.

As for Stefaniszin, we see this every year. Goalies on teams with solid defensive systems have a great opportunity to have a big game or two when they stop 40-50 poor to medium quality shots. Trapping and containing defences are so easy to play behind, yet eeeevery year the folks here erupt as if Reto Berra or Stepan Goryachevskikh or now Stefaniszin are the next great goalie prospect. Yawn. Good for him for doing his job, but that's all he's done.

And Rask, the most overrated prospect in the history of HFboards has been average or worse from all reports. I almost fell off my chair when I hear Bob McKenzie call him the undisputed top goalie going into the tournament. I have no problem with people mentioning him among the top guys going in, but to act like it's not debatable is a joke.

Pavelic has been average as well, but his team is awful this year. Too bad, he's a good goalie.

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
Stefaniszin should be G of the tourney.

Yeah, sure the germans goalies were great... But... In the end, we cannot give the goaltender of tournament to a relagated country....

Canada's first goalie also have much more pressure than the others!

Russia's goalie was statwise almost perfect....

So.... it's gonna be a Price VS Varlamov contest!

If Price goes more far than Varlamov, he is gonna have title.. If not, it's gonna be Varlamov..

The bottom line is... Both Canada's, German's and Russia's goalies were great. The others were so-so!

David McConnor

Unregistered User
Aug 30, 2006
Alert, Nunavut
Yeah, sure the germans goalies were great... But... In the end, we cannot give the goaltender of tournament to a relagated country....

There's a good chance the Germans will NOT be relegated.

Canada's first goalie also have much more pressure than the others!

Maybe off the ice. I'll give him that. But on the ice Price plays in front of what is probably the best defense in the tournament.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
There's a good chance the Germans will NOT be relegated.

Maybe off the ice. I'll give him that. But on the ice Price plays in front of what is probably the best defense in the tournament.

Once again "Lime" chimes in with negative comments about Habs players. First of all he says Latendresse would not have made the WJC even if he was available and now Price is not as impressive as most say because team Canada's defence is probably the best in the tourny. Leafs fan per chance??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad