Most Important Wins by Country

Reks

Oct 23, 2006
Russia (not Soviet Union) won World Championship in 1993
and lots of World Juniors.

Victory Ali*

Germany in the 2002 Olympics going on the run they did beating Slovakia and some other good countries with Marc Mother****ing Seliger :bow: in net. Watching their games on television back in the day did a lot to make me a hockey fan.

Terrier66

Nov 29, 2005
Sweet mother of werner, how could anyone NOT have the 1980 Olympic Gold as the USA's most important win? :dunno:

I think (I'm pretty sure) it was voted by ESPN (take it for what it's worth) to be the most important thing to happen to America due to sports in the past 20-something years.

I think it has been voted the most important American sporting event in the 20th century.

Transported Upstater

I think it has been voted the most important American sporting event in the 20th century.

GREAT avatar!!!

While we're on the subject of Slayer, "Reign in Blood" is probably my favorite metal album of all time.

HVPOLARBEARS19

Nov 17, 2005
NY
How bout Belarus over Sweden in 02' or whenever it was.
And yeah, no way anything tops the 1980 US over U.S.S.R. and then Finland run.

VladNYC*

Those were won by soviet union. Has russia won anything? Ever?

Russia won:

U-20:
99, 2002, 2003

U-18:
2001, 2004

WC:

If you count the CIS team after the break up of the soviet union:

U-20:

Olympics:

So that's 8 gold to Finland's 4 since the break up of the Soviet Union.

Way to be a troll.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Russia won:

U-20:
99, 2002, 2003

U-18:
2001, 2004

WC:

U-20:

Olympics:

Way to be a troll.
I wouldn't count the CIS wins for Russia. Essentially, that was a USSR entry. In fact, at the 1991-92 WJC, they were the USSR until January 1. But I don't think anyone in Russian hockey would look you in the eye and tell you that they're happy with the way the program has fared, especially at the World Championship and Olympic levels, since the break-up in 1992. Russia carries that same attitude towards silver and bronze medals that Canada does.

Two wins that haven't been mentioned yet for the USSR/Russia: the 1955 Worlds (I think) and Game 1 in 1972. The 1955 Worlds were, I believe, the USSR's first world championship. It really was the point in which they said "we've arrived" to the rest of the world. It was validation for Tarasov and the way he coached/handled the team.

Game 1 in 1972 is one of the most important hockey games ever played. It shut people up. People realized how good the Soviets really were. Nobody was questioning Tretiak, Kharlamov et al after that game. The Soviets were for real. Reporters who predicted a 7-1 or 8-0 series result looked foolish. When Canada scored the first goal 30 seconds into the game, everyone thought that Canada would steamroll their opponents. But even before the 2-0 goal, the Canadians were scrambling to contain the Soviets, and Canada knew they were in big trouble.

Karamahti*

Russia won:

U-20:
99, 2002, 2003

U-18:
2001, 2004

WC:

U-20:

Olympics:

Way to be a troll.

Why would cis count? Besides I haven´t been preaching Finnish hockey supremacy all over the board so I don´t understand what Finlands golds matter when discussing russias plethora of great triumphs. Btw, were you calling me a troll?

Jazz

....Two wins that haven't been mentioned yet for the USSR/Russia: the 1955 Worlds (I think) and Game 1 in 1972. The 1955 Worlds were, I believe, the USSR's first world championship. It really was the point in which they said "we've arrived" to the rest of the world. It was validation for Tarasov and the way he coached/handled the team.
Just a small correction, but that was 1954. Canada won Gold in 1955.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
To me Russian wins or losses in CCup, WCup or Superseries are of moderate value because of the format/location of the tourney.

I'd say the OG 92 win, or one of the earlier OG's with a decider against the Czechs are quite big. The 76 especially, although Czechs were weakened by the flue, but the 4:3 final game was quite big.

Karamahti*

That's academic (and worthy of a troll). The only non-Russian (meaning somebody who would not end up in Russia had the break up occured in 81) on the 79 rosters was Balderis and nobody on the 81 roster.

Really? No Kazaks, Belorussians or Ukrainians?

Karamahti*

Thanks. The reason for asking is that there has been plenty of players from forementioned countries playing for russia during the past 15 years.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Thanks. The reason for asking is that there has been plenty of players from forementioned countries playing for russia during the past 15 years.

Plenty is an overstatement. Those who made the WC or the OG team were Balderis, Petrenko (borderline, a Dynamo player), Khristich, Irbe. I may be forgetting somebody, but we are talking about 4-7 players over the span of 30 years or so.

Karamahti*

Kasparaitis, Zubrus, Zherdev, Zhitnik and Mikhnov came to mind in about 2 seconds

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->