Most Important Wins by Country

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
What do you think are the most important wins for each country. By wins I mean finishing first in a tournament.

Canada- 72' Summit Series
Russia- 81' Canada Cup
Sweden 06' Olympics
Czech Republic- 98' Olympics
Slovakia- 02' World Championships
Finland- 98' World Juniors
USA- 96' World Cup

Last edited:

Old Hickory

What do you think are the most important wins for each country. By wins I mean finishing first in a tournament.

Russia- 81' Canada Cup
Sweden 06' Olympics
Slovakia- 01' World Championships
Finland- 99' World Juniors
USA- 96' World Cup

I would say the 1980 US Olympic Gold trumped the 1996 World Cup win by a gigantic margin

Last edited by a moderator:

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
I think the 72 series is extremely overrated, everyone forgets that it was just supposed to be an exhibition between Canada and the Soviet Union. I would say the 2002 Olympics was more important because it was the first time in 50 years Canada won an international tournament that the rest of the world actually cared about.

For the US, definitely the 1980 gold medal at Lake Placid.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
I think the 72 series is extremely overrated, everyone forgets that it was just supposed to be an exhibition between Canada and the Soviet Union. I would say the 2002 Olympics was more important because it was the first time in 50 years Canada won an international tournament that the rest of the world actually cared about.

It was also Canada beating America, which, lets face it, is a much bigger deal than Russia, even if Russia is a better hockey nation.

It was the single most watched program in national history with a minimum of 1/3rd of the country watching.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
USA - 1980 without a doubt. No victory meant more to the nation as a whole. I don't think the majority of the population cared about the 1996 World Cup. The 1980 Olympic gold transcended the game.

Belarus - 2002 Olympics vs Sweden (duuuuuuuuuuuuh)

razman22

Mar 24, 2006

For the US, definitely the 1980 gold medal at Lake Placid.

I suspect you are under 30 as there is no question the 72 series was not only the most important win by Canada, it is one of the if not the most glorious moment in the countries history. The 2002 Olympics were special as was the 87 Canada cup victory. However, the 72 Summit Series was Us versus Them. Democracy versus Communism. Having watched and enjoyed both, there is no doubt the 72 series meant more to Canadians at the time than the 2002 Olympics did. Not to take anything away from the Olympic victory as it was very special. Think of it as buying your first car versus having your first child. Both are momentful but one is clearly the defining moment of your life.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki

Russia- 81' Canada Cup
Sweden 06' Olympics
Slovakia- 01' World Championships
Finland- 99' World Juniors
USA- 96' World Cup

Wasn't that in 98?

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site

I also think 2002 was a big year for Canadian hockey. It re-energized hockey fans who had left during the late 90s, fed up by the success of big market, defensive minded American teams. If you look at all the Canadian NHL teams, it seems like they really did become a bigger ticket after those Olympics. I reckon the NHL is more popular in Canada today than it was during the late 1990s, and I think the Olympics had something to do with it. I know a few fans too who weren't real big fans prior to the Olympics, but watched those Olympics and became fans of the game.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I also think 2002 was a big year for Canadian hockey. It re-energized hockey fans who had left during the late 90s, fed up by the success of big market, defensive minded American teams. If you look at all the Canadian NHL teams, it seems like they really did become a bigger ticket after those Olympics. I reckon the NHL is more popular in Canada today than it was during the late 1990s, and I think the Olympics had something to do with it. I know a few fans too who weren't real big fans prior to the Olympics, but watched those Olympics and became fans of the game.

True. I actually know a lot of people who started following hockey much more closely after Canada won gold.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
I agree that Nagano has been the greatest success in recent history for the Czechs, second place would probably be gold medal from the World Championships
in 1985 [mainly because the tournament was held in Prague].

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Finland's 1995 World Championship win over Sweden would definitely be No. 1 for that country. Slovakia's big one would be winning the 2002 World Championship.

1972 was definitely bigger than 2002. 1972 was supposed to be an exhibition, but it turned out to be much more than that. It had a level of intensity and significance that has never been matched by any event in hockey. 1972 is the single-most important event in hockey of the 20th century, not just for the level of play, passion and intensity, but for the importance to the game as a whole. It was the eye-opener for Canadian hockey and the rest of the world. From that point on, the Soviets were regarded as Canada's equals. Never again would anybody predict Canadian domination in a true best-on-best. If 1972 was just an exhibition, then Phil Esposito was prepared to kill another human being over an exhibition.

The other aspect that sets apart 1972 from the U.S. Miracle on Ice, the Canada/World Cups, and the 2002 Olympics is the scope of the series. Those were generally best-of-one tournaments (or best-of-three's) in a fixed location. 1972 was an eight-game war. It was played in both countries. You had the fan interaction in Moscow when 3,000 Canadian fans travelled to support their country. You had the mysterious phone calls to Canadian hotel rooms in the middle of the night. You had Alan Eagleson trying to throttle a Soviet goal judge when the red light didn't turn on after the fifth Canadian goal in Game 8. You had the backstage politics. 1972 had it all, and it's something that has never been matched.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Finland's 1995 World Championship win over Sweden would definitely be No. 1 for that country. Slovakia's big one would be winning the 2002 World Championship.

1972 was definitely bigger than 2002. 1972 was supposed to be an exhibition, but it turned out to be much more than that. It had a level of intensity and significance that has never been matched by any event in hockey. 1972 is the single-most important event in hockey of the 20th century, not just for the level of play, passion and intensity, but for the importance to the game as a whole. It was the eye-opener for Canadian hockey and the rest of the world. From that point on, the Soviets were regarded as Canada's equals. Never again would anybody predict Canadian domination in a true best-on-best. If 1972 was just an exhibition, then Phil Esposito was prepared to kill another human being over an exhibition.

The other aspect that sets apart 1972 from the U.S. Miracle on Ice, the Canada/World Cups, and the 2002 Olympics is the scope of the series. Those were generally best-of-one tournaments (or best-of-three's) in a fixed location. 1972 was an eight-game war. It was played in both countries. You had the fan interaction in Moscow when 3,000 Canadian fans travelled to support their country. You had the mysterious phone calls to Canadian hotel rooms in the middle of the night. You had Alan Eagleson trying to throttle a Soviet goal judge when the red light didn't turn on after the fifth Canadian goal in Game 8. You had the backstage politics. 1972 had it all, and it's something that has never been matched.

Having watched the series but not live (since it happened 3 years before I was born) there is no doubt at all that it was the most important series win for Canada and I also agree it was the most important series in hockey History. And politically the 2002 Olympics were nothing. Canada beats the USA in hockey. 1972 it was the cold war. It was truly a war. Watch the Canadian players on the ic ean you saw it was a war. Watch the Russian Soldiers/Police standing around with machine guns. It was a war. One of Canada's biggest platforms in the Cold War.

It was also a visually generational match-up with almost all of the Canadians not wearing helmets while every Russian wore one. It was the greatly talented yet nearly middle aged looking, balding, pudgy, (some of them), teeth missing Canadian Country farm boys versus the well oiled, well trained Russians who played a great system and were all wearing helmets and looked like Olympic athletes.

It is mind boggling to watch Canada play in that series. They were going on sheer Will to win and were as dirty and viscous as any team I have ever seen play the sport. They seemed to play half the tournament short handed.

I think no team of players has ever wanted, needed to win more than the Canadian Team in those 4 games in Russia. That was the closest hockey could come to a true battle.

Transported Upstater

Sweet mother of werner, how could anyone NOT have the 1980 Olympic Gold as the USA's most important win? :dunno:

I think (I'm pretty sure) it was voted by ESPN (take it for what it's worth) to be the most important thing to happen to America due to sports in the past 20-something years.

tape-2-tape

Nov 8, 2005
NH

Russia- 81' Canada Cup
Sweden 06' Olympics
Slovakia- 02' World Championships
Finland- 98' World Juniors
USA- 96' World Cup

The USA's was the 80 Olympics by far, no contest.

Canada....72....war of the worlds.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Irrelevant as the correct answer would be '95 and World Championship, since 2nd place in World Cup doesn't qualify for the thread.

Thats probably the general opinion in Finland, but I personally appreciate gold in World Juniors more than gold in World Championships.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
Sweet mother of werner, how could anyone NOT have the 1980 Olympic Gold as the USA's most important win? :dunno:

I think (I'm pretty sure) it was voted by ESPN (take it for what it's worth) to be the most important thing to happen to America due to sports in the past 20-something years.
What'd you say about my mother!?

I think it might have been "greatest moments" but those terms are interchangable. Aren't there TWO movies about the 1980 team? Can you picture a movie about the 96 WC? Where's the drama? WE BEAT CANADA!!!! I hate to say it but for most non-hockey following americans, losing to Canada in anything probably hurts that sport's image A LOT more than beating Canada. Didn't we lost to you in the World Baseball Classic? It was viewed as a disgrace I think, but I don't follow baseball so someone can probably confirm/deny that. Russia on the other hand was our rival in EVERYTHING so the fact that a bunch of college kids beat the "professional" Russian team in a sport with violence meant a lot. A lot of "we're strong, they're weak" sentiment. If college kids can take down Russian men, then they're not so tough.

Marcus-74

Apr 27, 2005

Does that tell more about Phil Esposito as a person or the importance of the Series? Mmm...

And the level of play wasn´t really that great, even though the final game is among the best I´ve ever seen.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

Of course the US went undefeated in the Olympics. Tied Sweden on a 6th attacker and beat Czechoslovakia and Finland en route to the gold in addition to upsetting Russia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad