Most important position on a team

Which position is most important on an NHL team?

• Total voters

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Analytics and Video Games?

It's not just that. There are several posters who think the Rangers suck, talk about every other team ,and then also say hockey is too violent, and 1994 was overrated.

There was even this big what to do mid year about opinions on Women's hockey which quite frankly was very agenda driven instead of just saying the girls are good too [which is very true mind you; some of those women players are great].

Many people don't even play hockey or attend the arenas anymore, which isn't their fault because of the injury fears with their parents and the cost of the attending the arena, so hockey sites become 4chan for people who don't even seem to like the sport anymore.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The guy is right. You legitimately called Zubov a top 5 d man in the league and massively overrated his importance to the team. I loved him BUT YOU HAVE NO IDEA. YOU WERE IN ****ING DIAPERS.

Here’s an idea. Actually cut out your eyeballs with said spoon or put him on ignore, or both.
Stay the f*** out of this granpda

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Most important position on the team is cost controlled top 3 draft pick, if that player didnt bust

Reactions: broadwayblue

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Ok so more F than D.

Now, more W or C?

Center (17): Hischier, Patrick, Matthews, Dubois, McDavid, Eichel, Strome, Reinhart, Draisaitl*, MacKinnon, Barkov, Drouin*, Nugent-Hopkins, Seguin, Tavares, Duchene, Stamkos

Winger (6): Laine, Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Landeskog, Huberdeau, Hall

Defenseman (7): Heiskanen, Ekblad, Murray, Gudbranson, Hedman, Doughty, Bogosian

But if we are going to distinguish between positions, we should also take into account that there are 4 centers on a team, 8 wingers and 6 D-men.

Reactions: Phoicon

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Ok so less center roster spots, yet most taken.

Now without going back even further in NHL draft history, how many of the above players are either already or looking as if they are the franchise?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Ok so less center roster spots, yet most taken.

Now without going back even further in NHL draft history, how many of the above players are either already or looking as if they are the franchise?

Aside from centers... Laine and Ekblad maybe? Hedman and Doughty are great but they are always in the shadow of their center (Stamkos, Kopitar)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
And which thread is this sir ?

You do realize this entire thread was created by NPL because I said this:

My actual quote: "Goalies are the least important on the team because the impact of an elite goalie compared to a good goalie is minimal, compared to centers, wingers and D men"

Out of all positions, goalie is the one that least benefits from having an elite player in that position. An elite center, winger or D-man has a bigger impact on a team's success than an elite goalie. Saying that "Yes they had many talented skaters, some even generational" was exactly my point. Those goalies won, because they had elite talent in front of them winning those games."

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
You do realize this entire thread was created by NPL because I said this:

I set up the spike and you whiffed.

In your last few posts with my prodding , you presented:

• The frequency of position selection in the top 3
  • The indirect correlation between position pick frequency and roster space
  • How many of those players become the franchise in just the last decade let alone since the expansion drafts
And all signs point to Center.

Again, What is the name of this thread ?

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
OH ZUBOV.jpg

If the Rangers just sucked it up for a few more years in the New Era™ before shelling out again for all the free agents, we might have been able to get that center and get the cup with the King.

I hope they finally build this time.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I set up the spike and you whiffed.

In your last few posts with my prodding , you presented:

• The frequency of position selection in the top 3
  • The indirect correlation between position pick frequency and roster space
  • How many of those players become the franchise in just the last decade let alone since the expansion drafts
And all signs point to Center.

Again, What is the name of this thread ?

What the f***. Are you confusing me with someone else? These are my mentions of Zubov:

upload_2018-6-17_8-41-22.png

The reason this thread exists is because I said center was the most important position but now you are "calling me out" on something about Zubov? You're not making any sense.

Last edited:

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
What the ****. Are you confusing me with someone else? These are my mentions of Zubov:

View attachment 125491

The reason this thread exists is because I said center was the most important position but now you are "calling me out" on something about Zubov? You're not making any sense.

No. I'm not calling you out. I see you are in Austria, so maybe it's a language thing.

The name of the thread is

There have been 6 pages side stepping the obvious that franchise center is the ultimate importance to a true, long term contender.

After prodding, you presented how often centers are picked in the top 3, and how many of them are franchise players.

So by "setting you up", I thought you were just going to say centers are the most important, and I agree with you.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
No. I'm not calling you out. I see you are in Austria, so maybe it's a language thing.

The name of the thread is

There have been 6 pages side stepping the obvious that franchise center is the ultimate importance to a true, long term contender.

After prodding, you presented how often centers are picked in the top 3, and how many of them are franchise players.

So by "setting you up", I thought you were just going to say centers are the most important, and I agree with you.

I live in Austria, was born in the Netherlands, grew up in South Africa. Trust me, it's not a language barrier. All I did was elaborate on an earlier post of someone saying more forwards are picked top-3 than D-men.

Centers are the most important position in hockey. You don't win a cup if the only elite playere you have is a goalie. Elite goalies don't win you championships. That remark started this entire thread because nopuckluck disagreed with me. This entire thread has escalated into a f***ing shitshow about Zubov and I don't know why. This team won't win a cup with Lundqvist. I said it in 2010, and I have been saying it since. You need more. We won't get an elite center by trading for them. You need to build through the draft and this team will never have a top-5 pick. There's no need to convince the one person responsible for this thread :laugh:

Reactions: Phoicon

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I live in Austria, was born in the Netherlands, grew up in South Africa. Trust me, it's not a language barrier. All I did was elaborate on an earlier post of someone saying more forwards are picked top-3 than D-men.

Centers are the most important position in hockey. You don't win a cup if the only elite playere you have is a goalie. Elite goalies don't win you championships. That remark started this entire thread because nopuckluck disagreed with me. This entire thread has escalated into a ****ing ****show about Zubov and I don't know why. This team won't win a cup with Lundqvist. I said it in 2010, and I have been saying it since. You need more. We won't get an elite center by trading for them. You need to build through the draft and this team will never have a top-5 pick. There's no need to convince the one person responsible for this thread :laugh:

I'm not trying to convince you.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
We are going in circles. I'm done here. Oh, and Zubov had one of the best ever seasons in Rangers history. It just happened to coincide with several others doing the same ;)

Yeah anyway I was agreeing with you since there was an obvious colloquial [i.e. NOT saying you can't speak a form of English] misunderstanding in my responses to you.

Anyway, when you have a chance, PM one of the mods to see if you can change the thread title to "Thiz iz muh thread..."

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah anyway I was agreeing with you since there was an obvious colloquial [i.e. NOT saying you can't speak a form of English] misunderstanding in my responses to you.

Anyway, when you have a chance, PM one of the mods to see if you can change the thread title to "Thiz iz muh thread..."

Nah. Mods don't like me ;)

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

Phoicon

Take these broken wings and learn to fly again.
Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen
Lol.

Here’s the thing, I think Zubov was probably one of those guys who season to season hovered around the 10-12 mark in the league. Some guys came and went, some had bigger peaks, etc. But Zubov was pretty consistent for a very long period of time.

Before I had this conversation I probably would’ve said Zubov was probably about 10 or 11 in the era. The fact that some of the different votes have him in that range isn’t necessarily concrete proof, but it’s also not a coincidence either. I think his averages were more or less how he was viewed around the league. It made me chuckle a little because I went in with the range in mind before I ever looked at some of the votings. I wasn’t quite expecting it to be that reflective.

Sometimes on these forums, you can really tell who is a good guy in real life. Taking time to build bridges when the other side is a bit grumpy. A+.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->