Most important position on a team

Which position is most important on an NHL team?

• Total voters

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I am happy to have provided the setup for you to come in and knock em down like this. But just to clarify, my use of the word "hipster" here doesn't mean "cool", it means "I'm smarter than all of you dummies and don't subscribe to what the mainstream wants me to think".

Regarding Larmer, if you go back and watch the video of the clock winding down in Game 7 of the 94 Finals, watch what Steve was doing. He had his man pinned to the boards for a couple of seconds after the final buzzer went. The dude was as complete a player as there ever was.

And slapshots on penalty shots equal MVP to me anyway.

I was agreeing with you on Larmer. He was a total package, and I always felt he was underrated outside the hardcore hockey following.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I am happy to have provided the setup for you to come in and knock em down like this. But just to clarify, my use of the word "hipster" here doesn't mean "cool", it means "I'm smarter than all of you dummies and don't subscribe to what the mainstream wants me to think".

Regarding Larmer, if you go back and watch the video of the clock winding down in Game 7 of the 94 Finals, watch what Steve was doing. He had his man pinned to the boards for a couple of seconds after the final buzzer went. The dude was as complete a player as there ever was.

TIL thinking your leading scorer is one of your best players is "hipster"

Reactions: Phoicon

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
TIL thinking your leading scorer is one of your best players is "hipster"

Dude, you know when people talk 94 they talk about winning the Cup. There were plenty of highlights from that regular season but I promise you that very few people remember that Zubov led the team in scoring or even that Adam Graves potted 52 goals.

Zubov was not a top 2 reason why they won the Cup that year. Leetch > Messier > Richter and then we can start arguing. This doesn't diminish his greatness, or the foolishness that was trading him by the way.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Dude, you know when people talk 94 they talk about winning the Cup. There were plenty of highlights from that regular season but I promise you that very few people remember that Zubov led the team in scoring or even that Adam Graves potted 52 goals.

Zubov was not a top 2 reason why they won the Cup that year. Leetch > Messier > Richter and then we can start arguing. This doesn't diminish his greatness, or the foolishness that was trading him by the way.
What Rangers fans remember has always been a faulty version of reality.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

More people remember Leetch’s Conn Smythe than his 102 point season too which annihalates the production of Zubov in the 94 regular season.

The New York Rangers have had many spectacular Regular seasons , yet very few cups.

94 is rightfully remembered for the cup.

And Zubov had much less impact on the post season than several other players on the roster regardless of his good power play driven regular season point totals.

I also sincerely doubt people who experienced 94 forgot “Amazing Graves” ‘s 52.

Reactions: Synergy27

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
More people remember Leetch’s Conn Smythe than his 102 point season too which annihalates the production of Zubov in the 94 regular season.

The New York Rangers have had many spectacular Regular seasons , yet very few cups.

94 is rightfully remembered for the cup.

And Zubov had much less impact on the post season than several other players on the roster regardless of his good power play driven regular season point totals.

I also sincerely doubt people who experienced 94 forgot “Amazing Graves” ‘s 52.

Just to be clear here, I absolutely experienced that run first hand. I feel like you and I are talking past each other here a bit when in reality we're on exactly the same page.

My bottom line is that the 94 regular season is essentially meaningless, and Zubov had a far lesser impact on the playoffs that year than he did in the RS. I also loved the guy and think he was a great player, but that team won the Cup because of a couple of truly transcendent performances by people not named Sergei.

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Nine defenseman in NHL history have had that many points, but somehow he was the 4th or 5th best player on the team that season.

You're the one with an opinion for the sake of an opinion. You're the hipster here.

Playoffs man. You know, that crazy tournament at the end of the year where the stats reset and "anything can happen"? If I was building a model to determine which players were most important that year, regular season stats would be weighted very low.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Playoffs man. You know, that crazy tournament at the end of the year where the stats reset and "anything can happen"? If I was building a model to determine which players were most important that year, regular season stats would be weighted very low.
Ha playoffs! Only thing that matters from 1994 was corsi

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
You recall my posts since you weren't somewhere between in utero and 2 years old recalling the 1994 Stanley cup.

In the post to which I responded, You literally called out people who were at least at the age off reason during that cup for their vague recollection of the run when you had at best taken your first few steps.

And speaking of age, if your profile is correct you are 26, and I'm actually not that much older than you, so you don't have to agree with or like anything I say, but f*** yourself with baby shit like this , or at least have mama warm up your baba before posty-post.

I wish I recalled zero of your cancer-inducing posts.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Larmer just oozed hockey IQ. He was smart and he was relentless. They stuck him on the wing with Kovalev in the playoffs and I'm convinced Larmer got the best effort out of Alexei with his barking at him all the time. He picked off plays all the time and he rarely turned over the puck...and he was slick in offensive situations. He's a borderline HOF'er and I'm hoping he makes it some day.

Anyway as far as 1994:

It was Messier's best year as a Ranger--so I would put him at No. 1 for that year with Leetch No. 2. I will say though that I don't think Messier scored the Stanley Cup winning goal. I think Brian Noonan did....and when asked later Messier said it really didn't matter who---which kind of increased my suspicions about it and it stayed Messier. I think it was Noonan--the guy from South Boston. Did I say that already?

Zubov by the way started out the 1993-1994 season in Binghamton. He played the first two games for that team and I was there for one of them. Zubov put up a lot of points that year but he also struggled at times--he wasn't use to getting hit or abused that much and team's started targeting him a lot. In the playoffs all that increased.

Last edited:

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
I’m 46 and can absolutely tell you as SOMEONE WHO LIVED IT AND LOVED ZUBBY (that’s what we called him) he was in no way a top d man in the league and was behind Mess, Leetchie, Gravy ,Richter etc; etc; during that post season run

You can’t talk about it if you weren’t at least 6 or 7 for Pete’s sake. There’s no way you’d remember a thing

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You recall my posts since you weren't somewhere between in utero and 2 years old recalling the 1994 Stanley cup.

In the post to which I responded, You literally called out people who were at least at the age off reason during that cup for their vague recollection of the run when you had at best taken your first few steps.

And speaking of age, if your profile is correct you are 26, and I'm actually not that much older than you, so you don't have to agree with or like anything I say, but **** yourself with baby **** like this , or at least have mama warm up your baba before posty-post.
Everything you've ever posted on this site makes me regret being literate. Every time you enter a thread, I want to remove my eyes with a spoon so reading what you have to say doesn't give me a concussion.

I just want you to know that.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Everything you've ever posted on this site makes me regret being literate. Every time you enter a thread, I want to remove my eyes with a spoon so reading what you have to say doesn't give me a concussion.

The guy is right. You legitimately called Zubov a top 5 d man in the league and massively overrated his importance to the team. I loved him BUT YOU HAVE NO IDEA. YOU WERE IN f***ING DIAPERS.

Here’s an idea. Actually cut out your eyeballs with said spoon or put him on ignore, or both.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

Awww...

Someone not agreeing with baby boo?

Note: one of those concussion causing responses was in regard to your borderline hilarious take on Zubov.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I think a few of us should take a break from the internet for an hour or three. We're all on the same team guys.

My point is I'm not so sure about that.

According to a few other regulars and him, the current team is shit, the new era sucks, and even 1994 sucks.

Messier overrated. Zubov who career mainly on other teams = good?

What is good?

What are they even rooting for?

Im starting to think it's just misplaced-venting to be honest, which in all due respect plagues almost any sub forum on the Internet these days

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->