Most important position on a team

Which position is most important on an NHL team?

• Total voters

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
After disagreeing in another thread with a poster who doesn’t believe goaltending is the most important position on a team, I decided to post this thread to see what my fellow posters think!

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Goalies stand in a little blue semi circle and stop a flying biscuit. That's why it's hard for them to truly separate themselves from their peers. It's a very streaky and odd position in nature. Team in front of them can have a large impact on their performance, too. When you have one of those rare talents like a Hasek or Lunqdvist than it can be the most important position for your team.

But in general it's Center Icemen as they patrol most of the ice and can impact more the game over the entire ice surface. And when you have one of those rare talents who can score PPG and drive your offense from the middle of the ice, you are sitting very pretty. Although rare, much easier to find than the goalies I mentioned.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Goalies stand in a little blue semi circle and stop a flying biscuit. That's why it's hard for them to truly separate themselves from their peers. It's a very streaky and odd position in nature. Team in front of them can have a large impact on their performance, too. When you have one of those rare talents like a Hasek or Lunqdvist than it can be the most important position for your team.

But in general it's Center Icemen as they patrol most of the ice and can impact more the game over the entire ice surface. And when you have one of those rare talents who can score PPG and drive your offense from the middle of the ice, you are sitting very pretty. Although rare, much easier to find than the goalies I mentioned.
Being that it’s easier to find a center according to you then wouldn’t that make finding a goalie more valuable and important?

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Being that it’s easier to find a center according to you then wouldn’t that make finding a goalie more valuable and important?

No. What's easier to find? Fleury or Malkin/Crosby? Holtby or Backstrom/Kuznetsov. Quick or Kopitar. Rask or Bergeron Crawford or Toews etc

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
It's a difficult question. You can make a case for really any of the positions, IMO. But at the end of the day, you don't win championships without a premier center, IMO. I debated a bit about going with defenseman over a center, but I think I would take someone like Kopitar, Crosby, McDavid, or Matthews to build my championship roster around, over someone like Karlsson, Doughty, Burns, Hedman, etc.

Goalies are obviously important too, but there have been many championships won with a hot goalie, rather than a great goalie. We're also living proof that a generational goaltender can only take you so far. If goaltending was the most important aspect of a championship team, we would have won one by now. I love Henrik and everything he's done for this organization. But it's really hard to win if you can't score goals...and a top-tier center helps to both score and prevent goals.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
No. What's easier to find? Fleury or Malkin/Crosby? Holtby or Backstrom/Kuznetsov. Quick or Kopitar. Rask or Bergeron Crawford or Toews etc
I would argue it’s easier to find a goalie. I can name about 10 franchise centers, but not that many franchise goalies.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Having an elite goalie is all good and well, but give me a truly elite top flight forward any day of the week. If we had the choice of drafting Lundqvist or Seguin, who would you go with? Who would it be easier to build a team around? A player like Lundqvist (a goalie) doesn't really have the ability to actively make the players around him better, and especially not in the offensive zone. Of course he has the ability to shut down the opposing team's offense, but he can't really provide slot passes or keep the puck in the other team's zone or screen a goalie. Meanwhile a player like Seguin (a center/forward) has the ability to make 4 other players on the ice with him better - in addition to their own elite production - by way of those passes/screens/etc, and the ability to help his goalie as well between blocked shots/clearing the crease/etc.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
All things considered I'd rather have a center who outperforms his peers to the extent a goalie does.

There are example of teams falling way short with all of them alone though - Seguin for example is great but Dallas never competes.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Center is important but defense is right there too.

Very rarely do you see teams contend without elite players/depth at both positions.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Center but as a Ranger fan I'm famished for a good RHD who can skate, Hit (or at least play solid d) and have a bomb from the point.
I know probably a lot to ask for.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Look at some of our backups and look at some of the recent Cup winners.

All of them were capable of winning it with Talbot, Raanta, or Georgiev in goal.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Yep.

That alone cost us a second Cup. With Leetch and Zubov we had two #1 defensemen.

I believe he was traded in offseason of 1995 and crazy enough only spent one year with the penguins before going off to a very solid career with Dallas. He is what we need on this team.

Reactions: Machinehead

Say Hey Kid

it's better to burn out than to fade awa
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Agreed. There have been 40 centers in NHL history as good as Malkin, but you have to go down to guys such as Liut to find 40 goalies.

Just look at the Finals. Both teams had hot goalies at least until Fleury played in the Finals.

Hot goalies win playoff games. I can't believe this is a debate on a hockey website.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
By the way in the lockout shortened season Zubov had a point per game at what 24 years old??? Why the f*** did we trade him again? lol

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
the most important position is the one that you are lacking....you aren't winning without all of those. I think the real debate is which of those position is the most difficult to fill

Reactions: eco's bones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->