Most important goal in Canada's history?

Most important goal in Canada's history?

• Total voters

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
Paul Henderson and its not really close IMO. Important because of the political backdrop and the fervour in which each side was fighting. And the fact that basically every school was shut down in Canada so that people could witness the game.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Sakic's GWG goal in 2002 is worth putting here to. Canadas first Olympic Gold in 50 years + beating a major rival.

(I don't think its #1, but its a pretty significant Canadian goal)

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
"Cournoyer has it on that wing. Here's a shot - Henderson made a wild stab for it and fell. Here's another shot! Right in front - THEY SCORE!!! Henderson has scored for Canada!"
-- Foster Hewitt

Henderson's goal was much more then a game winning hockey goal. The Canada Russia series in 1972 was the free world against the communist. In a age when war was unthinkable because the loser of the war would use nuclear weapons the battle of the cold war was played out on ice. It was US against THEM and the good guys won. There will never be a hockey goal as important as Henderson's goal was in 1972.

Sadly the US and their footmen was the bad guys all along.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Sakic's GWG goal in 2002 is worth putting here to. Canadas first Olympic Gold in 50 years + beating a major rival.

(I don't think its #1, but its a pretty significant Canadian goal)

Strangely I think that for a lot of people Gretzky's speech was a more memorable moment. Or even the fifth goal in the gold medal game.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Good point - I still remember Gretzky's speech almost 20 years later.

One goal I also remember is the Lemieux to Kariya sneak pass... what a move.

Ah yes, that goal is probably more widely remembered too.

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
From the point of view of an American I think Crosby's goal is number one only because I know how much it stung to have Canada win at the Salt Lake so considering how close the 2010 Gold Medal game was I think they probably would have wanted to have avoided losing the Gold on their home ice.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Each one has a unique storyline besides the obvious drama of the timing of each goal.

1972 - Wins the Series as the Soviets were going to claim victory on having the better GF and GA but the overwhelming political overtones and the tension of Game 8 make the goal so much more than the game of hockey or saving Canada's pride.

1987 - quite possibly the greatest hockey matchup in hockey history. The KLM line vs. two GOATs, three nail-biting 6-5 games. If Canada lost this, there could be no excuses.

2010 - You could not script a bigger stage - the Olympics, on home ice, in the home of hockey against a rival who may be a bigger threat to Canada's hockey supremacy than the Russians ever were. IMO, Crosby faced the most pressure of any hockey player in history to deliver in that OT. He would have 100% blamed if they lost given he hadn't put up a point since the round robin and failed to seal the Gold Medal game with a missed breakaway with 3 minutes left.
Holy crap, hahahahaha

Apr 9, 2009
USA
If Lemieux or Crosby don't score their games just continue until either team scores the winning goal.

I'm confused at what point you're trying to make here. It seems like you're holding it against them that they scored because it could have been someone else? That doesn't even make any sense.

(I have no dog in this fight, I'm not Canadian. Just trying to see what you mean here)

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'm confused at what point you're trying to make here. It seems like you're holding it against them that they scored because it could have been someone else? That doesn't even make any sense.

(I have no dog in this fight, I'm not Canadian. Just trying to see what you mean here)

If Henderson didn't score the game would have ended 34 seconds later, as almost certainly no one would have scored within those 34 seconds and there was no overtime. The series would have been a draw, which for all intents and purposes would have been a Canadian loss from the Canadian (and probably Soviet as well) perspective. If Lemieux didn't score then game 3 of the 1987 final very likely just goes to overtime and Canada might still win. If Crosby doesn't score then overtime continues and Canada might still win.

Basically, if Henderson didn't score then the series was almost certainly over with a bad result. If Lemieux or Crosby didn't score then there's still let's say a 50% chance that Canada wins in each case. That doesn't take away from Crosby and Lemieux but it is a unique factor in Henderson's favour, even if someone weighed all three events equally.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
For me it was the 47th goal in the 47-0 February 12th, 1949 trouncing of Denmark in the Ice Hockey Championships.

I hate the Danish.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
If Henderson didn't score the game would have ended 34 seconds later, as almost certainly no one would have scored within those 34 seconds and there was no overtime. The series would have been a draw, which for all intents and purposes would have been a Canadian loss from the Canadian (and probably Soviet as well) perspective. If Lemieux didn't score then game 3 of the 1987 final very likely just goes to overtime and Canada might still win. If Crosby doesn't score then overtime continues and Canada might still win.

Basically, if Henderson didn't score then the series was almost certainly over with a bad result. If Lemieux or Crosby didn't score then there's still let's say a 50% chance that Canada wins in each case. That doesn't take away from Crosby and Lemieux but it is a unique factor in Henderson's favour, even if someone weighed all three events equally.

You are pointing to a dynamic that really didn't change with Henderson's goal. Expectations that the NHLers would mop the floor with the Soviets were clearly out of sync with reality.

If you want to debate which goal is more dramatic; a game winner in the last minute or one in OT, that is a different debate.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
You are pointing to a dynamic that really didn't change with Henderson's goal. Expectations that the NHLers would mop the floor with the Soviets were clearly out of sync with reality.

If you want to debate which goal is more dramatic; a game winner in the last minute or one in OT, that is a different debate.

Henderson's goal was almost certainly the difference between winning and not winning and yes, Canada finishing the series in a draw would have been perceived as a loss. Lemieux's and Crosby's goals were the difference between winning and maybe not winning. It's a very minor factor in the end, though is does again obviously favour Henderson, because Henderson's goal is the clear winner here regardless.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
During the 72 series, kids watched the game at the school gym, or teachers wheeled a tv into the classroom, never happened for the others.
72 series and Henderson’s 3 game winning goals in games 6,7 and 8. Plus the controversies throughout the series.
You nailed my experience – the teachers wheeled in a black-and-white TV into the classroom and we all watched the game, specifically the ones in Russia which started some time during the day here in Montreal. The series wasn't simply sports, it was hard-news worthy of front page headlines and teachable moments. Schools knew we were watching history and treated it with appropriate reverence.

And as you said, the last game was aired in our school gym. One TV propped up high enough to be seen by all, with teachers, kids and parents crammed together holding our breath and squinting at the screen. Honestly, I couldn't even see that clearly and wasn't sure we scored until the place erupted. A magical moment in time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad