Most goals in one 5 min PP

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
The most notable game from my memory is St. Louis vs. Los Angeles in the playoffs in 1998. Game 3 I believe. The Kings were down 2-0 in the series but up 3-0 in Game 3. I forget who took an untimely major penalty, but St. Louis got a 5 minute power play and scored 4 goals and won the Game 4-3. I can't think of a time where a 5 minute major was put to use any better.

RocketCityRocker

Aug 2, 2006
The most notable game from my memory is St. Louis vs. Los Angeles in the playoffs in 1998. Game 3 I believe. The Kings were down 2-0 in the series but up 3-0 in Game 3. I forget who took an untimely major penalty, but St. Louis got a 5 minute power play and scored 4 goals and won the Game 4-3. I can't think of a time where a 5 minute major was put to use any better.

I remember that game like it was yesterday. Geoff Courtnall of the Blues ran into Jamie Storr(?) (LA's goaltender); Sean O'Donnell of the Kings, I believe, took exception and took a major penalty against Courtnall.

The St. Louis powerplay went to work and basically won that game 4-3. I remember the color guy on ESPN saying something like, "I hate to say it, but Geoff Courtnall is the first star of this hockey game."

As a young hockey fan, I'd never seen anything like it.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I remember that game like it was yesterday. Geoff Courtnall of the Blues ran into Jamie Storr(?) (LA's goaltender); Sean O'Donnell of the Kings, I believe, took exception and took a major penalty against Courtnall.

The St. Louis powerplay went to work and basically won that game 4-3. I remember the color guy on ESPN saying something like, "I hate to say it, but Geoff Courtnall is the first star of this hockey game."

As a young hockey fan, I'd never seen anything like it.

Yes, it was Courtnall, that agitator. I just remember the scrum behind the net and L.A. getting the penalty for it.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
There are some games in international competition that are horrendously lop-sided that end 80:0 or so. I bet it's one of these matches.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It WAS O'Donnell, that's one of the reasons I hated trading for him years later lol

I do remember unfortunately the three-spot the Kings put up on us in Game 6 on the five-minute major from Bernier.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
In the infamous 11-0 Hartford win over Edmonton in '84 they scored 4 goals on the same powerplay.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
In the infamous 11-0 Hartford win over Edmonton in '84 they scored 4 goals on the same powerplay.
My God, according to Hockey Summary Project you're correct!

Second Period
Penalties - EDM - McClelland (maj) 8:29

5 - HAR : Malone 13 (Crawford, Currie) (PP) 9:20
6 - HAR : Neufeld 21 (Johnson, Siltanen) (PP) 10:21
7 - HAR : Francis 19 (Malone, Currie) (PP) 11:22
8 - HAR : Kotsopoulos 2 (Dunn, Currie) (PP) 13:26

McClelland must have felt pretty bad when he went back to the bench...

(I remember listening to this game live on the radio with my parents in a car somewhere on Highway 2 in Alberta...)

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Minnesota scored 4 on Edmonton with Dave Lumley serving a major in Game 3 of the 1984 Campbell Final. Only three of them were on the PP though since Minnesota took a penalty themselves part way through.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->