Most 'extra' games in a season?

vic777

Dec 10, 2014
Let's say a player plays 40 games for his team, then gets traded to a team that has only played 39 games ... it is an 82 game season. So now the player plays 43 games for his new team. That gives him 83 games in an 82 game schedule or as I will call it, 'one extra game'. What is the most 'extra games' ever played by a player?

Last edited:

Liloldadyo*

From Wikipedia:

Most games played in a single NHL season, not including playoffs: Jimmy Carson (1992–93) and Bob Kudelski (1993–94), 86

Liloldadyo*

make sense as the schedule back then consisted of 84 games instead of 82

Ah but then we don't have an answer to the most 'extra' games question yet. These guys only have 2 extra games, but if Bill Guerin had 85 in a season with an 82 game schedule then he has the record.

goawaygary*

FWIW regular season + playoffs + Olympics Henrik Lundqvist played in 97 games last year which is a staggering total for a goaltender. He may never be that same after that kind of slog.

fastvoteman

Nov 30, 2006
It would be interesting to feed the schedule into a computer and see what the max games a player could play would be. You could set it up for maximum 1 trade, 2 trades, unlimited etc. some stipulations would have to be added such as not playing 3 games in 3 nights, enough time to get to new teams next game etc.

Also, I wonder what would happen if a player was traded enough so they were playing 90+ games? They should get a bonus or be able to sit games out.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Are these cases covered in the rules for any of the major awards?

I doubt that any Art Ross or Richard Trophy candidate would be traded in the middle of a season, but theoretically one player could have an advantage if they played more games to accumulate more points.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

I doubt that any Art Ross or Richard Trophy candidate would be traded in the middle of a season, but theoretically one player could have an advantage if they played more games to accumulate more points.

I highly doubt it. Any theoretical advantage would be negated by having to adapt to a new city, new team, new apartment, etc.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

I highly doubt it. Any theoretical advantage would be negated by having to adapt to a new city, new team, new apartment, etc.

Joe Thornton was traded during the 2005-06 season and was more productive with the Sharks then the Bruins. He did however play 81 total games but it is possible to play more then the max amount of NHL games a single team has and be leading scorer but it just isn't a likely thing.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Bill Guerin already played 84 or 85 games if my memory serves right

2000-01
He played 21 games with the Edmonton Oilers before being traded, with a 1st round pick (Shaone Morrisonn) to Boston for Anson Carter, a first (Ales Hemsky), and a second (Doug Lynch)
He then went on to play 64 games with Boston that season, amassing a total of 85 games.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
The old record that was in the Guinness Book of World Records for years when I was a kid was Ross Lonsberry playing 82 games in a 78 game schedule after a trade. If I'm remembering correctly, that would be +4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad