Most Exciting NHL Players Since 1980 - #7

Who is the seventh most exciting NHL player since 1980?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Ovechkin over McDavid is a joke
No it's not. This site honestly overrates McDavid. He is the most valuable asset but HF makes it seem like he is Gretzky. He's great but he's been the leagues best player one time, give him time to grow and join legends like Jags and Ovie. He's not there yet.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
No it's not. This site honestly overrates McDavid. He is the most valuable asset but HF makes it seem like he is Gretzky. He's great but he's been the leagues best player one time, give him time to grow and join legends like Jags and Ovie. He's not there yet.

He has two Ted Lindsay awards, and he already has as many art rosses as Crosby's had in his entire career.

Reactions: The Nuge

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
He has two Ted Lindsay awards, and he already has as many art rosses as Crosby's had in his entire career.
Crosby's never been that exciting to me, but this is a stupid comment. He was on pace to run away with the 2010-2011 scoring title but concussions happened. He also had the 2013 scoring race in the bag but got hit in the face by a puck and missed like the final 10 games and Marty St.Louis passed him cause of that. Crosby would at worst have 4 art rosses, prob more but injuries derailed from for years.

McDavid is prob gonna join all these guys but this place is way too fast anointing him

Reactions: bert and sanscosm

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
McDavid is the single most exciting player I have ever watched. He burns guys and gets cheers from opposing teams fans for his efforts. That doesn’t mean he’s over rated in this poll.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
McDavid is the single most exciting player I have ever watched. He burns guys and gets cheers from opposing teams fans for his efforts. That doesn’t mean he’s over rated in this poll.
He's overrated in most of these polls due to recency bias, being Canadian, and the overwhelming hype. He's the best player right now and by far the leagues most valuable asset but this place propels him past a lot of legends and has since his 2nd year in the league. Jag put up 150 points and went over 120 two more times in the height of the trap era and while his speed wasn't on McDavid's level the dangles, jukes and power finesse moves were incredible. Pretty silly to slide McDavid above him so definitively on here. But saying Jagr and Ovie > McDavid I guess is insulting lol

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Please... :rolleyes:

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Ovechkin has made a living teeing up one timers. His personality on and off the ice is great but I has nothing to do with his on ice excitement. He’s nothing like McDavid.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Ovechkin has made a living teeing up one timers. His personality on and off the ice is great but I has nothing to do with his on ice excitement. He’s nothing like McDavid.
Watch clips from Ovechkins rookie year up until the end of his 3 straight Pearsons. The guy would burn opponents just as easily as McDavid, his hands at that speed were almost as good. But his shot was much better, and he was one of the most physical players in the league.

If that isn't excitement for you, I don't know what is. Don't compare a 22 year old McDavid to Ovechkin from the second half of his career, because although I think McDavid will still be a premier player in his 28+ ages, he will without a doubt be less exciting to watch than he is now.

Reactions: KoozNetsOff 92

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Watch clips from Ovechkins rookie year up until the end of his 3 straight Pearsons. The guy would burn opponents just as easily as McDavid, his hands at that speed were almost as good. But his shot was much better, and he was one of the most physical players in the league.

If that isn't excitement for you, I don't know what is. Don't compare a 22 year old McDavid to Ovechkin from the second half of his career, because although I think McDavid will still be a premier player in his 28+ ages, he will without a doubt be less exciting to watch than he is now.
Ovechkin hasn’t really been that player for a while. His rookie year up until like 09, sure. Ever since then more of his production has come from distance shots with the occasional flashy goal.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

Is there a dislike button?

Ovechkin did adapt his play to continue being the most effective he can be, but in his early years he was absolutely ELECTRIC. If McDavid continues to be that good in his 30s then maybe he'll have "excitment lenght" to his advantage but not yet.

Imo he's got McDavid beat in "excitment level", because in addition to speed and offensive dominance, his physicality sets him apart. His personality also does play a big role in "excitment level" since him having fun on and off the ice is absolutely contagious.

Reactions: KoozNetsOff 92

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
He's overrated in most of these polls due to recency bias, being Canadian, and the overwhelming hype. He's the best player right now and by far the leagues most valuable asset but this place propels him past a lot of legends and has since his 2nd year in the league. Jag put up 150 points and went over 120 two more times in the height of the trap era and while his speed wasn't on McDavid's level the dangles, jukes and power finesse moves were incredible. Pretty silly to slide McDavid above him so definitively on here. But saying Jagr and Ovie > McDavid I guess is insulting lol
Having watched these said players (not prime Jagr) but Ovie (Live and in person) there is not a player that demands your attention better than McDavid. Every shift is a show, the way he stands out. It reminds me of a local beer league, where one guy played at a high level and absolutely roasts the rest of the guys. (To a lesser extent)

All this is unbiased because I also have a Capitals Ovechkin Jersey I bought because he was my favourite NHL player for about 10 years...

Mildan

Jan 7, 2019
Selanne on his rookie year was the most exciting thing I ever saw in NHL.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The beginning and middle of Ovi's career were the most exciting player I've ever seen. What a horrible take

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad