Most embarrassing NHL moments

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Or the time he took a dive, wouldn't get up, the Nordiques get the puck, Sakic scores, but the ref blew the whistle microseconds before the goal, dissallowing it because of Kovalev. Then Kovalev gets up and skates off like nothing ever happened. I've never forgiven Kovalev or Van Hellmond for that one.

I remember that well ... one of the most completely blown calls of the last 20 years.

On the subject of Van Hellemond, even more embarassing was the way his career with the NHL ended - gambling debts, borrowing money from referees, and giving preferential treatment to those who loaned him money. Should have been a much bigger scandal than it was, as the NHL did a nice job of keeping the story pretty small and having it go away very quickly. Throws the credibility of his entire career into question, and you have to wonder if blown calls like the Kovalev/Sakic one were more sinister than it appeared at the time. Probably not, but ...

On the more humorous side:

- Barry Tabobondung getting stuck in his chair at the 1982 (?) NHL draft and having to be cut out deserves a mention.

- Doug Wickenheiser getting seriously injured falling out of a truck and getting run over while on a 'snipe hunt' with some Blues teammates in the mid-1980s.

- Kevin Weekes' bizarre and made-up story about a mugging to account for his being late for practice, which resulted his being traded by the Canucks soon after.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I always thought Adam Graves' cheapshot on Lemieux in the '92 playoffs was a low point, albeit not as low as some of the lows mentioned on this thread.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
While the Bertuzzi/McSorley/Hunter incidents are embarrassing, I think they are overblown by scoop-hungry media (esp. in the US). They really should not speak for the sport itself. The NBA as a league and basketball as a sport was not given the third degree after the Pacers/Pistons debacle. I'm more embarrassed by the times the sport is dumbed down. For example, the FoxTrack and any broadcasting that insults the inteligence of the viewer.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
[IMAGE]http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/1885/brodeurbowuw3.jpg[/IMAGE]

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iXEzD1heawU (Video of Incident).

Defitnetley Martin Brodeur's most embarrassing moment. In the 03 Stanley Cup Final, Mighty Duck defensemen Sandis Ozolinsh wrists a shot in from center ice. It wasn't even really a shot, more like a dump in. Martin Brodeur goes to play it, then accidently drops his stick and the puck goes in off his stick. Hilarious as heck! :biglaugh: Really flukey.

Last edited:

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
[IMAGE]http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/1885/brodeurbowuw3.jpg[/IMAGE]

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iXEzD1heawU (Video of Incident).

Defitnetley Martin Brodeur's most embarrassing moment. In the 03 Stanley Cup Final, Mighty Duck defensemen Sandis Ozolinsh wrists a shot in from center ice. It wasn't even really a shot, more like a dump in. Martin Brodeur goes to play it, then accidently drops his stick and the puck goes in off his stick. Hilarious as heck! :biglaugh: Really flukey.

Brodeur can't read your thread because the 2003 Stanley Cup Championship Banner is blocking his view. You know that banner, the red and black one that has the Devils logo on it?:sarcasm:

Mont Royale

Feb 17, 2006
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this one - maybe because it's not the NHL... but how about Phil Esposito tripping in the pre-game ceremony during the '72 Summit Series, and falling on his butt in front of all the Russian fans.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
And in the funniest moment department....the Flames fan who tried to streak across the ice naked but when he jumped on the ice, he slipped, hit his head on the ice and knocked himself out cold. There he is, lying on the ice naked in front on 18,000 fans. Priceless.
:teach:
If he was face down I can't imagine the shrinkage :eek:

Speaking of that portion of the human body, how about Probert's stash.

Transplanted Caper

2x ATD Co-Champion
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Robert Reichel taking a slapper on a penalty shot in the playoffs against Philly. I just sat there staring at my TV wondering if what I saw actually happened

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
:biglaugh: How did that happen?

This is an excerpt; he has since passed away in heroic style:

http://hockeydraftcentral.com/1981/81047.html

Embarrassed on Draft Day: Tabobondung attended the 1981 NHL Entry Draft in Montreal, marking only the second year that junior players had attended the draft in large numbers beyond those likely to be taken in the first round. Tabobondung was so excited to be chosen in the third round that he jumped over the front row of seats at the Montreal Forum in order to greet Flyers officials at their draft table. Unfortunately, in one of the draft's most embarrassing moments ever, Tabobondung's foot got stuck in a folding seat, and arena attendants, along with Flyers special-assignments coach Joe Watson, needed at least five minutes in order to get Tabobondung out of the seat. One of the arena attendants had to unscrew a portion of the folding seat to free the player. As Tabobondung was being extracted from the seat, NHL executive vice-president Brian O'Neill, who was running the draft from the main podium, joked the Flyers could at least be sure that Tabobondung would be available for all of their games in Montreal. Flyers coach Pat Quinn responded to O'Neill's joke by saying "We gotta play the kid. Obviously, we can't afford to have him sit." Asked about the incident, Tabobondung jokingly told Jay Greenburg of The Hockey News that he wasn't even embarrassed and was glad he was able to "do something to get the attention off the first-rounders."

Ducks_è_Halos

Feb 8, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
profile.myspace.com
This is an excerpt; he has since passed away in heroic style:

http://hockeydraftcentral.com/1981/81047.html

Embarrassed on Draft Day: Tabobondung attended the 1981 NHL Entry Draft in Montreal, marking only the second year that junior players had attended the draft in large numbers beyond those likely to be taken in the first round. Tabobondung was so excited to be chosen in the third round that he jumped over the front row of seats at the Montreal Forum in order to greet Flyers officials at their draft table. Unfortunately, in one of the draft's most embarrassing moments ever, Tabobondung's foot got stuck in a folding seat, and arena attendants, along with Flyers special-assignments coach Joe Watson, needed at least five minutes in order to get Tabobondung out of the seat. One of the arena attendants had to unscrew a portion of the folding seat to free the player. As Tabobondung was being extracted from the seat, NHL executive vice-president Brian O'Neill, who was running the draft from the main podium, joked the Flyers could at least be sure that Tabobondung would be available for all of their games in Montreal. Flyers coach Pat Quinn responded to O'Neill's joke by saying "We gotta play the kid. Obviously, we can't afford to have him sit." Asked about the incident, Tabobondung jokingly told Jay Greenburg of The Hockey News that he wasn't even embarrassed and was glad glad he was able to "do something to get the attention off the first-rounders."

Wow, died saving his son. Seems like he had a lot of character.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Anybody remember Kovalev faking that wrist injury in the playoffs a while back in OT? Souray (his teamate) runs into him at the blue line....the puck's stolen by the forechecking foward (I forget the team/player) and they score ending the game and i believe the series.... classic "derp" moment :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

It was against the Bruins in 2004, the player who scored was Glen Murray to make the series 3-1 I think, and guess who won that series anyway... I guess having the ref ignore the slash gave the Habs the boost they needed to beat the Booins. BTW the morning after Kovalev had his wrist taped (it was one of the papers' front page) and the doctor said he had a broken wrist, but Kovy still played the next three games to help the Habs eliminate Boston.

OpAck

Feb 19, 2004
Wilmington, NC
Just look to us Islanders fans for the embarrassing moments:

Milbury, Milbury, Milbury.

The firing of Neil Smith and hiring of Garth Snow.

Gorton's Fisherman jerseys from the mid-1990's.

As mentioned...John Spano purchasing the Isles...and later turned out to have only $1 million in assets and managed to fool FleetBoston, the NHL, and the Islanders in the process.

Milstein/Gluckstern threatening to move the team out of the Coliseum because the scoreboard was going to fall.

Darius Kasparaitis crashing his (Mercedes Benz?) into the lightpost in the Coliseum parking lot.

Maloney trading our franchise star, Pierre Turgeon, for a disgruntled Kirk Muller who kicked and screamed about playing for a rebuilding team.

Other non-Isles' notables:

Pat Quinn dressing Robert Reichel but forgetting to add him to the lineup sheet during Game 7 of the Isles-Leafs series. Reichel was ejected from the game...din't matter much since Toronto won the game...but funny otherwise.

Theo Fleury's wacky (embarrassing, but funny) antics...doing the chicken dance to Eric Cairns sitting in the penalty box...grabbing Eric Cairns' stick out of his hand, carrying it to the bench, and breaking it on the bench...and didn't he punch out a mascot?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->