Most embarrassing NHL moments

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The Calgary Flames fan who tried to streak on to the ice, only to fall over the glass and give himself a concussion, and have to be stretchered off.

Roy G Biv*

Phaneuf bailing in the face of Ruutu

Best animated .gif ever

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
There was a goal like that although I don't know who shot it. I tell people this an no one believes it. The puck went in and went threw the net. But it didn't leave a hole - it just went through it perfectly. The defending team went nuts because there was no hole. But the ref insisted it went in.

Low and behold, the replay showed it went threw the net - right threw a hole and out without mark. (This was before video replay) Weirdess play ever. Can't believe they don't show this more on the all time blooper things.
I remember this happening with Guy Carbonneau in the late 80s. Is that the one you're thinking of?

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
The Winnipeg Jets vs Chicago Blackhawks game around 1995 when the Jets player either Nelson Emerson or Stephan Quintal gloved the puck and tossed it wraparound the net and scored......and the refs counted it! They went to video replay and it still didn't matter, they counted the goal...that has to be one of the most *** moments during the 90's....:biglaugh:

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
Cory Cross given chance after chance by team after team, he has been around somehow for about 12 years!

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
A recent one that I thought was humorous:

Bobby Clarke forgets the name Claud Giroux, his first round draft pick, while he is up at the podium announcing his draftee.

DuckedUpOnQuack

Aug 2, 2005
Ottawa
Sean Avery's comments about French people

Theo Fleury. Although I guess he's not really one moment, more a long string of problems.

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
There was a goal like that although I don't know who shot it. I tell people this an no one believes it. The puck went in and went threw the net. But it didn't leave a hole - it just went through it perfectly. The defending team went nuts because there was no hole. But the ref insisted it went in.

Low and behold, the replay showed it went threw the net - right threw a hole and out without mark. (This was before video replay) Weirdess play ever. Can't believe they don't show this more on the all time blooper things.

Might have been Stephane Richer when he was with the Devils, that was on one of the Rock 'Em Sock Ems... I think it shows him streaking down the right wing, blowing a shot past some goalie and it went right clean through the netting on the blocker side... somehow.

puckhead103*

I think the most disappointing part about that case is that Danton didn't succeed. If he would have succeeded, he should have been awarded the Order of Canada.

The Ted Green/Wayne Maki incident is likely the most embarassing on-ice incident since expansion. It's just there's a difference in terms of publicity. Green/Maki swung their sticks like baseball bats at each other's helmetless heads. Worst incident outside of Shore/Bailey in the 1930s.

I'm surprised Turgeon/Hunter isn't on the list either, even though the incident is blown way out of proportion. Ballard's tenure with the Leafs should definitely be there. Gil Stein was far, far worse than Bettman.

ArchieisGod, there are few hockey fans on the planet who love the game, and know more about the game, than Michael Farber.
how about this....

did u remember the swing stick incident between eddie shack and larry zeidel in 1968?........larry zeidel mentioned that shack and bruins were making anti semetic comments......

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
The Roy-Tremblay-Houle-Corey debacle. Friggen amateur hour all round.

Anybody who has ever booed a national anthem.

The Brett Hull stanley cup winning goal.

Mcsorely's illegal stick.

Hab fans booing Dryden, Robinson, Koivu, Roy ect.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Not necesarily "embarassing" but by far the saddest is that little girl dying at the Columbus game.

As for embarassing...Snow becoming the Isles GM is up there.

Marty's Better

Jan 21, 2006
Kovalev

Anybody remember Kovalev faking that wrist injury in the playoffs a while back in OT? Souray (his teamate) runs into him at the blue line....the puck's stolen by the forechecking foward (I forget the team/player) and they score ending the game and i believe the series.... classic "derp" moment :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Anybody remember Kovalev faking that wrist injury in the playoffs a while back in OT? Souray (his teamate) runs into him at the blue line....the puck's stolen by the forechecking foward (I forget the team/player) and they score ending the game and i believe the series.... classic "derp" moment :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Or the time he took a dive, wouldn't get up, the Nordiques get the puck, Sakic scores, but the ref blew the whistle microseconds before the goal, dissallowing it because of Kovalev. Then Kovalev gets up and skates off like nothing ever happened. I've never forgiven Kovalev or Van Hellmond for that one.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site

He didn't fake the injury. He was slashed on the wrist by Green. Running into his teammate was dumb and selfish IMO, but the injury was real. The ref should have blown the play dead and given Green two minutes for slashing. If the ref had made the correct call, the rest of what happened on the play would be moot. So yes, the performance of the ref was embarrasing.

Marty's Better

Jan 21, 2006
He didn't fake the injury. He was slashed on the wrist by Green. Running into his teammate was dumb and selfish IMO, but the injury was real. The ref should have blown the play dead and given Green two minutes for slashing. If the ref had made the correct call, the rest of what happened on the play would be moot. So yes, the performance of the ref was embarrasing.

Yeah, you're right, Kovalev would NEVER fake an injury :sarcasm: I saw that video repeatedly and it was no harder than your average slash (mind you this is pre-lockout) At least to me it seemed fairly obvious he was trying to draw a penalty.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Yeah, you're right, Kovalev would NEVER fake an injury :sarcasm: I saw that video repeatedly and it was no harder than your average slash (mind you this is pre-lockout) At least to me it seemed fairly obvious he was trying to draw a penalty.

Plain and simple he was slashed on the wrist. I've been slashed on the wrist, and trust me, if it hits you in the wrong spot it hurts alot. Take a wooden stick and hit yourself on the wrist with the same force Green did and tell me how you feel? You feel a very sharp pain and your hand goes completely numb.

All this is academic. The ref blew the call.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Chris Chelios on a breakaway this year almost dropped his stick, almost lost the puck, then managed to score anyway.

Even Shanahan was making fun of him on HNIC After Hours.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is funny, embarrassing or both. In a game against TO, a drunken (I'm guessing) Brian Spencer then of the Penguins tries to take a face off against Gene Carr, um... also of the Penguins.

theprogoalie777

Jul 20, 2006
Toronto,Ontario
This is told in Don Cherry 12 the movie:

Im not sure what the players are but, this one player was on a break away, with an open net, he decides to take a slap shot, he misses the puck and hits the boards, and breaks his nose and his rist, when he is on the strecher, the strecher broke and then he pulled 3 legements in his back.

This is all cause he had to take this huge slapshot!!:D :biglaugh:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Extending this to the WHA for a moment, the first ever regular season game of the Philadelphia Blazers was cancelled (opening night in 1972) when the Zamboni, trying to resurface a shaky ice surface, cracked and broke the ice in front of a packed house. In Gene Hart's book "Score!" he wrote that souvenir pucks were given away as a pre-game promo and when the rep from Blazers' management notified the crowd of the cancellation, he was promptly greeted by flying pucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->