Most effective defensmen in Europe

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Why the laugh? I like Otamendi, but he's been very poor for City so far.

I agree. Otamendi has ranged from ok to terrible with City this season. The difference in City's defending with Kompany in there compared to Otamendi has been massive.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
The slideshow is based on the report from the Observatory of Football. They also ranked full backs: http://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/b5wp/2015/148/en/

The study weighs center backs according to three general categories which presumably have different associated stats: rigor, recovery, and distribution. It doesn't surprise me that Hummels is at the top of the list, since he makes a good deal of preemptive interceptions (rigor) and probably makes more accurate long balls/key passes per game than any other center back right now. Players have to have played at least 60% of the team's minutes to be eligible (thus Alaba but no Boateng).

They previously did the best keepers as well: http://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/b5wp/2015/147/en/

This is interesting and valuable but not without flaws.

Theon

No longer Reek
Jan 17, 2008
Stockholm
So according to that:

Otamendi's the best center back in the premier league.

and Kolarov's the best left back in the premier league.

Jerry-Seinfeld-No-Thanks-and-Leave.gif

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
So according to that:

Otamendi's the best center back in the premier league.

and Kolarov's the best left back in the premier league.

Jerry-Seinfeld-No-Thanks-and-Leave.gif

Now, to be fair, LB is an incredibly weak position and Kolarov had a really good start to this season. However, this list is very clearly very silly.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
The list as a whole is stupid...Sakho being 10th is ridiculous but I mentioned Godin at 6 because he's probably #2 and he's underrated given his team.

Godin certainly isn't #2. Especially if the list takes account of passing ability, as this one does. He's overrated, given his team. The midfield already does a ton of the defensive work since they're so organized, and he has simplified tasks compared to CBs on possession-oriented teams.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Godin certainly isn't #2. Especially if the list takes account of passing ability, as this one does. He's overrated, given his team. The midfield already does a ton of the defensive work since they're so organized, and he has simplified tasks compared to CBs on possession-oriented teams.

He's been just as good for Uruguay. I just took a glance at their list and sure what they're using as their methods but it's clearly crap.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
He's been just as good for Uruguay. I just took a glance at their list and sure what they're using as their methods but it's clearly crap.

Maybe. Uruguay certainly don't play like big European domestic clubs do though. He's a very good defender but he's lacking passing and dribbling attributes that other top center backs (e.g. Thiago Silva, Boateng, Hummels) have, and therefore his influence on the match is limited compared to them.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
I agree. Otamendi has ranged from ok to terrible with City this season. The difference in City's defending with Kompany in there compared to Otamendi has been massive.

According to whoscored Otamendi is the 2nd best CB statistically after Van Dijk with an avg rating of 7.48. I mean he's not top 3 but I don't think it's fair to say he's been terrible. Only reason people are hating on him is because of his tranfer fees.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
According to whoscored Otamendi is the 2nd best CB statistically after Van Dijk with an avg rating of 7.48. I mean he's not top 3 but I don't think it's fair to say he's been terrible. Only reason people are hating on him is because of his tranfer fees.

Whoscored ratings are a lot more flawed than this list. The values that they assign to each individual statistical contribution are dubious (dribbles for one thing are overvalued), and they deduct from every player's rating when the team gives up a goal, and adds when the team scores, whether the player had anything to do with it or not. Good place to find stats and heat maps but their ratings are crap. He has made a ton of really bad mistakes. A lot of that is the team not being very compact or organized, but some is on him.

Theon

No longer Reek
Jan 17, 2008
Stockholm
Now, to be fair, LB is an incredibly weak position and Kolarov had a really good start to this season. However, this list is very clearly very silly.

He might've had a good start, but pretty much every City supporter considers him a liability. Heck, he's not even the first choice there. Pellegrini plays Clichy over him in important matches and for good reason too: https://streamable.com/peg0

Don't see a lot of 'rigor' there. He shoots a lot though, so I guess that's why he's in there.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Maybe. Uruguay certainly don't play like big European domestic clubs do though. He's a very good defender but he's lacking passing and dribbling attributes that other top center backs (e.g. Thiago Silva, Boateng, Hummels) have, and therefore his influence on the match is limited compared to them.

All I know is if I have a lead I know who I want defending that lead. Which is the bottom line for defenders. If the lists is looking at stats/passing where the heck is Pique? This list has as much credit as Button does with his mock drafts.:laugh:

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
He might've had a good start, but pretty much every City supporter considers him a liability. Heck, he's not even the first choice there. Pellegrini plays Clichy over him in important matches and for good reason too: https://streamable.com/peg0

Don't see a lot of 'rigor' there. He shoots a lot though, so I guess that's why he's in there.

Not that I disagree about him being a liability, but I don't think it's entirely fair to judge anyone based on the Southampton game. The entire team was clearly in "don't get hurt or winded before Wednesday" mode.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->