Most disappointing season ever?

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
giphy.gif

Reactions: Thallis

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
People telling me to shut-up may be a bit of an exageration to be sure. But a few people did ask how I could be so negative after such a good off-season, and to let them enjoy the good news. I don't want to spend a ton of time pulling old quotes, but here are a few from me. where I did say that our coaching and goaltending still sucked and a couple responses.....

"We shall see how the off-season went for Armstrong 8-9 months from now. Failing to address the goaltending/coaching situation could be a critical mistake" -Majorityof1, 9/11/18
"But our goaltending is bottom 3 in the league according to this model. That is exactly the reason I am less optimistic than anyone here about our chances (I'd also add poor coaching of the PP). " -Majorityof1, 9/11/18

In the Maroon signing thread, I stated we should have used that cap space to shore up goaltending rather than on Maroon....

Me: "For those of you thinking this signing makes the Blues a Cup contender, let me introduce you to our starting goaltender, Jake Allen" - majorityof1, 7/11/18
Repsonses: "Allen will disappoint us in October and that'll last till April. Just let Blues fans be excited during the only months that we have to be excited." - bleedblue1223. 7/11/18
"It's 2 posters. 2 insufferable posters. [re: me and another for complaining about the signing]" - Letsgoblues91, 7/11/18
Well done. You are an oak.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Well done. You are an oak.

Not sure what that means. I wasn't trying to brag about being right though. A stopped clock is right twice a day. I was trying to say, that even for someone entering the season as a relative pessimist, this season is still a major disappointment. That's how badly its going.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Not sure what that means. I wasn't trying to brag about being right though. A stopped clock is right twice a day. I was trying to say, that even for someone entering the season as a relative pessimist, this season is still a major disappointment. That's how badly its going.
It means you are solid, true to your word (see the movie Tombstone). I wasn't accusing you of bragging. I just honestly didn't remember you saying those things.

m1a2lt

Jul 13, 2009
'96 was tougher for me...at the end, knocked out by the Red Wings in three straight games and then not even being able to keep the Great One.

Also, forgot another reason it was so disappointing: I went to basic training in early summer at Ft Knox and occasionally the drills would let us watch the playoffs and finals; been much better with the Blues in there.

Last edited:
Reactions: PiggySmalls

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
I’ve followed the Blues since 1980. There have been too many disappointing playoff exits to remember. There have been plenty of ownership changes along the way as well. To me, I have to think this is the single most disappointing season ever. There’s never been this high of expectations before the season followed by this level of complete failure, at least that I remember.

At least with seasons that ended in playoff defeats there was some extent of accomplishment. In seasons where ownership sold off the team there wasn’t any expectations. This season has been atrocious and now the injuries are starting to mount.

Does anyone have a more disappointing season?
96 was more disappointing. I'm a Wings fan (and I did bandwagon the Avs that first season - <3 Roy), but after the Gretzky trade it was hard to not think/want the Blues to win. It just blew my mind that getting the player that you normally had to hit "C" to "overrule trade" on Sega Genesis to get off the Kings would end up on an already great Blues team. Even when they were playing the Wings I was kind of excited at the prospect of seeing them advance to the WCF. The excitement here in STL was unparalleled and everyone in town legitimately believed the Blues were going to win the cup.

I know I have a personal bias (and pre-season I picked the Blues to miss the playoffs), but even some of the more naive Blues fans I know did not think they were a contender this season, regardless of what the Pejorative Slured homer sportswriters wrote. 96 was different. As favored as the Red Wings were that year, it was still crazy to think that that Blues team would fall in round 2 (and maybe if Pronger had stood in between Fuhr/Kypreos instead of shoving Nick into him things would have been different).

Reactions: m1a2lt

steinerecliner

May 15, 2018
For me this season has been. I mean last year with all that happened at the end we where close to the playoffs. All these moves that had all of us so hyped and excited about this season and we get this. To have this not play 60 mins every night half ass effort nights and they admit it to us saying stuff "We just didn't have the effort." "We didn't play hard enough" And so on. I want them to answer the question why didn't you?

I look at this season and I hear players say those things and have no answer on why these things are a thing. Like you can tell us whatever you want but actions speak louder and that what we wanted. Never have I looked at a team and wonder why they are here if they are not out wanting to show the fans they let down last year what they are made off and they are better then what they ended up at. Like you now question as a team do you really want the title? Isn't that what you play your whole life for is to hope one day put that cup over your head? I thought it was but most of these players doesn't act like that and you have to wonder why?

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
This season is the worst for me. The 96 and 00 seasons are up there though. I was just so excited to see this team perform and be a top 5 team this year. I really think they should have fixed the goaltending before the season started but I think we knew that wasn't going to happen.

Cotton McKnight

He left, get over it!
Feb 6, 2009
Siloam Springs
For me, this is the worst season in my years from watching since '86. San Jose 99-00, no shocker to me, they already did that once to Detroit a couple of years later.

There are many things failing here, this isn't a team that got cocky and had Marc Bergevin throwing a backbreaking goal into the net. We lost to one team in 99-00 in the playoffs. Steve Shields never had another good run as that playoff series. It was the best Owen Nolan ever played. That team all bleached their hair blond and had some wonderful team chemistry and camaraderie.

This current team does not have any of that. We have a Turek-like goalie that has Allen's paycheck. We don't have any character, we don't have the strong team that we had in 99-00.

I just hope at this point that we don't lose our 1st round pick this year. This team has not shot to do anything in the playoffs, even if they perform a miracle and make the playoffs.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
For me, this is the worst season in my years from watching since '86. San Jose 99-00, no shocker to me, they already did that once to Detroit a couple of years later.

There are many things failing here, this isn't a team that got cocky and had Marc Bergevin throwing a backbreaking goal into the net. We lost to one team in 99-00 in the playoffs. Steve Shields never had another good run as that playoff series. It was the best Owen Nolan ever played. That team all bleached their hair blond and had some wonderful team chemistry and camaraderie.

This current team does not have any of that. We have a Turek-like goalie that has Allen's paycheck. We don't have any character, we don't have the strong team that we had in 99-00.

I just hope at this point that we don't lose our 1st round pick this year. This team has not shot to do anything in the playoffs, even if they perform a miracle and make the playoffs.

I'd disagree with you on the thought that the Blues wouldn't make any noise should they make the dance. For us to make the post season the consensus is approximately 97 points are needed.

We'd need 68 points out of the next 53 games. We'd need to go 30-15-8 or something similar. That's a 64.2% point capture rate. The only way we get that is if our goaltending gets hot and stays hot for several extended streaks. If we make the playoffs, I'd expect Allen (if he's still with us) to steal a series minimum before fizzing out.

I'd be more inclined to believe we finish 21-26th in the league than we make the playoffs... But I firmly believe that should we play lights out down the stretch, and make the post season, we make the 2nd or possibly even the 3rd round. There isn't any part of me that believes Allen can play consistently enough to carry this team to lift the cup overhead or qualify for the cup finals.

Reactions: Spektre

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Definitely. What will cap it off is if we don't get a top 4 pick. There are 4 legitimate studs up there by my count.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
Best case for playoffs is we shoot our wad like in '08, and get popped in the first round. Pointless. We need to shoot for a top 10 pick, full-stop.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Best case for playoffs is we shoot our wad like in '08, and get popped in the first round. Pointless. We need to shoot for a top 10 pick, full-stop.
You mean like by pinning our hopes on Allen and a cast of inexperienced AHL goalies? I'm not sure how you 'shoot' for a top 10 pick, but so far so good.

Reactions: Spektre

Mar 6, 2012
They will end up in 11th place. There is no other possibility...

Well, besides possibly finishing 10th, keeping the pick and winning the 1st overall next year and giving it to Buffalo. (and it turns out to be some sort of generational player)

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
'96 was tougher for me...at the end, knocked out by the Red Wings in three straight games and then not even being able to keep the Great One.

Also, forgot another reason it was so disappointing: I went to basic training in early summer at Ft Knox and occasionally the drills would let us watch the playoffs and finals; been much better with the Blues in there.
FT Knox eh? You still in bro? I was a Tanker too. - DBD
IMG_1575.JPG

Cotton McKnight

He left, get over it!
Feb 6, 2009
Siloam Springs
I'd disagree with you on the thought that the Blues wouldn't make any noise should they make the dance. For us to make the post season the consensus is approximately 97 points are needed.

We'd need 68 points out of the next 53 games. We'd need to go 30-15-8 or something similar. That's a 64.2% point capture rate. The only way we get that is if our goaltending gets hot and stays hot for several extended streaks. If we make the playoffs, I'd expect Allen (if he's still with us) to steal a series minimum before fizzing out.

I'd be more inclined to believe we finish 21-26th in the league than we make the playoffs... But I firmly believe that should we play lights out down the stretch, and make the post season, we make the 2nd or possibly even the 3rd round. There isn't any part of me that believes Allen can play consistently enough to carry this team to lift the cup overhead or qualify for the cup finals.

I'm going to stick with this season, bad season in the past did not have us as fans pretty much dogging on every player (ok just about all of them). It always seemed like we under-achieved. This year, they're just psychotically dysfunctional.

fish7

Feb 11, 2012
st. louis, mo
I've been a fan since 74 and this season is the most baffling that I have seen. The worst for me was in 81-82 because we were coming off finishing 2nd overall, we had the best goalie in the league and we came out and looked horrible and the coach was fired before the end of the season

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
This is really depressing season. Its 2nd of January and we are pretty much out of playoff race. Its quite bad ee're dead last in central div. but we're also last position entire NHL.

Who would guess this? This is like nightmare, but reality.

I believe everything happens for reason.

Reactions: jura

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
This is really depressing season. Its 2nd of January and we are pretty much out of playoff race. Its quite bad ee're dead last in central div. but we're also last position entire NHL.

Who would guess this? This is like nightmare, but reality.

I believe everything happens for reason.

I guess everything happened for a reason.

And now, there's another reality, go figure.
As a none Blues fan, i salute and congratulate your team,
hell of a thing..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->