Most Disappointing Players of the Tournament

mike1262

Oct 9, 2010
When I read the thread title the first name that popped into my head was D'Amigo. I wasn't too impressed with Niederreiter either.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
It's funny ask scouts and GMs this same question and I bet they have entirely different answers. Scouts and GMs are evaluating tools while everyone here is evaluating mistakes...

I don't think so. Scouts already know the tools. They are evaluating more of how the players manage to live up to expectations and if they are successful in their roles. But I could be wrong.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I don't think so. Scouts already know the tools. They are evaluating more of how the players manage to live up to expectations and if they are successful in their roles. But I could be wrong.

Robin Lehner could be in the NHL by next week. Cowen was a disappointment to some...but there's no way Murray's disappointed considering the progress he's made and the tools he has undeniably.

I'm more or less talking about guys like Nino, Couturier, Leblanc, Larsson

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Very disapointed by Dylan Olsen. He was playing big minutes (paired with Ellis) and I was expecting him to be this year Travis Hamonic. Not close at all!

The same could be said about Jared Cowen who is, I feel, a bit overated.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Most of the Canadian defence. Aside from one great game and some okay moments, they looked big, slow, and made poor decisions.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Couturier - Did he even play?
Larsson - At times he looked real good and at times he made some brutal decisions.
Niederreiter - See Couturier
Gudbranson - He wasn't bad or anything but this kid was a :eek::eek::eek::eek:hair away from making the Panthers this year, really?
Connolly - Ok it's real early but...(Jeff Skinner, enough said)

Looks like the Devils chose a potentially bad year to tank.

I lol'd :laugh: :biglaugh:

On a serious note, from Canada it was goaltending, and any defenseman not named Gudbranson, Ellis or Barrie. Cowen didn't deserve the 1 of 3 best player award, would've given it to Barrie. Olsen is brutal, Chicago should have fun with him and a couple of minus seasons, Mark Pysyk would've done much better in his place. Too bad we couldn't have seen more of Jaden Schwartz, it was a disappointment he was hurt. Up front, Ashton and Connolly both didn't live up to their expectations. Around the globe, Lander and Larsson didn't do much, nor did Lehner. D'Amigo, Palmieri, Morin, Zucker and Leddy couldn't do much after returning, to reiterate everything said about Kreider, that kid is a star and did not have a disappointing tournament by any means. And everyone on Finland besides Pulkkinen and Ortio underachieved.

Last edited:

HemskyToHall*

And the coaches deemed Cowen one of their 3 best players. Oh, an Oiler fan, for some reason this has become a trend.

Dehaan's a guy everyone should have expected more out of.

Being an Oilers fan has nothing to do with it. He was turning the puck over like crazy and has no hockey IQ.

Very disappointed with his game this tournament.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Couturier. Maybe we were spoiled with Tavares and Hall's performances these past two years but I expected a lot more out of him as the number one draft prospect playing for Canada. Really unspectacular.

Thunderhawks

Jan 5, 2011
On Team Canada I was disappointed in Kassian. After the suspension he seemed not to know how to play, particularily in the offensive end. Expected him to score more. Cowan and Olsen were also disappointing as mentioned earlier.

Grubauer was a big disappointment for the Germans. If he had shown up the Germans might have won a game or two and survived for next year.

All the Slovaks except Panik and Preisinger (for playing out of position). Panik looked like Kessel on the Leafs where he's afraid to pass to players that can't get it done.

Landeskog for getting hurt before I got to see him play. ;) The problem for the Swedes wasn't individual disappointments, but that they didn't have gamebreakers. I'd take Pulkkinen or even Nattinen over most of the top Swedish players this year. I thought Adam Larsson played very well for a draft eligible, better than Couturier.

Didn't see the US enough to comment.

rangersfan212

Jun 18, 2010
The Island
You people do get the concept of an injury? Morin was out for the last seevral games because he was hurt. I know that is a tough thing to comprehend but he was not noticeable on the ice BECAUSE HE WAS NOT ON THE ICE

US D sucked big time with no exceptions. Faulk included who was on the ice for many big goals against. If you think you are going to win with Ramage and Faulk as your go to guys, you are fooling yourself. Faulk doing the fake hop steps and moves on the point look cute but produce zero.
Worst D corp in tournament. Dumoulin was a deer in the headlights, scared to hit anyone. Why have size and be scared to use it

watching Candas D and especially Russias top couple guys on D flying up the ice in championship game made me wish Fowler was there. Those Russian mules are race horses for sure.

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009

On a serious note, from Canada it was goaltending, and any defenseman not named Gudbranson, Ellis or Barrie. Cowen didn't deserve the 1 of 3 best player award, would've given it to Barrie. Olsen is brutal, Chicago should have fun with him and a couple of minus seasons, Mark Pysyk would've done much better in his place. Too bad we couldn't have seen more of Jaden Schwartz, it was a disappointment he was hurt. Up front, Ashton and Connolly both didn't live up to their expectations. Around the globe, Lander and Larsson didn't do much, nor did Lehner. D'Amigo, Palmieri, Morin, Zucker and Leddy couldn't do much after returning, to reiterate everything said about Kreider, that kid is a star and did not have a disappointing tournament by any means. And everyone on Finland besides Pulkkinen and Ortio underachieved.

What? Pretty much everyone played well, only ones I would consider to be disapponting are Vatanen and maybe Armia to the extent.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
What? Pretty much everyone played well, only ones I would consider to be disapponting are Vatanen and maybe Armia to the extent.
What? Toni Rajala was the biggest dissapointment on that team by far. Vatanen and Armia sure, but far less than Rajala.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010

I dont get this either, IMO the whole team played really well, it was only for the last 5 min breakdown / unlikely last minute goals by russia that finand wasn't playing in the medal rounds. And I don't count the last game as being much of anything. Underachievers were Rajala and maybe Vatanen (who played pretty well but wasn't able to bring the star factor to his game)

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
What? Toni Rajala was the biggest dissapointment on that team by far. Vatanen and Armia sure, but far less than Rajala.

I didn`t expect anything out of Rajala so I wasn`t dissapointed.

TreeSapLlama

Sep 24, 2007
Lethbridge, Alberta
For Canada, I thought Couturier and Connolly were invisible. Cowen looked like a pylon (I had hopes he really improved from last year, but not enough) and the goaltending.

I was hoping to see a bit more out of Roman Horak, but he didn't have much support. Rajala didn't seem to do too much either. I was a bit disappointing in Panik's play earlier in the tournament, but he obviously stepped his game up at the end. I expected a bit more from Tarasenko before the Gold medal game, which he (and kuznetsov) took over.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Cowen, Despres, Olsen, Cizikas, Hamilton, Leblanc, Connolly

What? These three performed fine for the roles they were given. I think leblanc finished like 4th or 5th on the team in points despite being given terrible ice time and very, very little powerplay time. He was also probably the most dominant board player in the tournament. Granted his creativity will never be his strong suit.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned kassian. I was expecting this guy to do way more than he did.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
For Canada, I thought Couturier and Connolly were invisible. Cowen looked like a pylon (I had hopes he really improved from last year, but not enough) and the goaltending.

I was hoping to see a bit more out of Roman Horak, but he didn't have much support. Rajala didn't seem to do too much either. I was a bit disappointing in Panik's play earlier in the tournament, but he obviously stepped his game up at the end. I expected a bit more from Tarasenko before the Gold medal game, which he (and kuznetsov) took over.

Somehow the pylon manages not far off a PPG in the WHL as the biggest player in that league. And until the final hadn't been on for an even strength goal in 5 games.

This tournament can be such a poor indicator of NHL prospects....

TreeSapLlama

Sep 24, 2007
Lethbridge, Alberta
Somehow the pylon manages not far off a PPG in the WHL as the biggest player in that league. And until the final hadn't been on for an even strength goal in 5 games.

This tournament can be such a poor indicator of NHL prospects....

The tournament is interesting. It can give some foresight into what players will excel in the NHL, but is by no means the be all end all. I'm probably still bitter from the gold medal game, and that being the most recent game has skewed my judgement of his tournament. I was still hoping for more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad