Most disappointing hockey careers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com
I'd like to add Nick Stajduhar to the list. My favourite player as a kid in juniors, first round pick in 1993, had a great first season in the AHL as a defenseman, was on the fast track to the NHL. Then he got into a bar fight in Sydney and was never the same. Such a waste of talent.

No one compares to Bryan Fogarty. I saw him play in junior back in the late 80's when I was a kid.

spymoose

Oct 29, 2005
Ottawa
Stephen said:
I just want to hear names and reasons of players who have disappointed for one reason or another. They could be huge busts who never made the NHL on a regular basis despite having an abundance of skill, they could be the victims of severe injuries, they could be guys who failed to live up to their hype and ended up as lesser players that they were projected to be, or they could be players who just had careers that tailed off. I just picked guys who broke in after 1990, because that's the time frame I'm most familiar with. It's been great reading this thread so far.

Okay, my mistake then. I was tired, guess I didn't see some of the text :) BTW, Jim Carey is prob my vote for most disappointing career.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
It hurts me to even admit that I have been personally disappointed with the career of Trevor Linden since the season after the '94 Cup run. Early in his career he was a high impact player, young team leader, NHL Ironman, well deserving of his being drafted 2nd overall. He captains the Canucks to game seven of the Stanley Cup and himself scores both goals in the 3-2 loss. That was the pinnacle of his career.

The last ten years has been mostly a disappointment. He has gone from HHOF material to NHL regular.

I still like him, but "disappointing" his career definitely has been.

Ogopogo*

VanIslander said:
It hurts me to even admit that I have been personally disappointed with the career of Trevor Linden since the season after the '94 Cup run. Early in his career he was a high impact player, young team leader, NHL Ironman, well deserving of his being drafted 2nd overall. He captains the Canucks to game seven of the Stanley Cup and himself scores both goals in the 3-2 loss. That was the pinnacle of his career.

The last ten years has been mostly a disappointment. He has gone from HHOF material to NHL regular.

Funny, he kind of hit the skids at exactly the same time he completely pissed on Vancouver fans.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Ogopogo said:
Funny, he kind of hit the skids at exactly the same time he completely pissed on Vancouver fans.
?

As a Kamloopsian down the road from you I once again have to plead ignorance: I don't know what the hell you're talking about!

You can't possibly be talking about the Keenan mess in '97, can you?

Last edited:

CanadienDude

Katie B.
Nov 3, 2004
St. John's, NL
I just have to throw out the name of Kirk Muller. He was an allstar when he was with the devils and won a cup with the canadiens, and then just vanished for the rest of his career.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
VanIslander said:

Linden was highly productive for a few years after 1994. 40 points in 48 games in the lockout season, then a career high of 80 points in 1995-96. Then 40 points in 49 games in 1996-97, still around his usual 70-point pace.

What killed him were two knee injuries, one in 1996-97, the other the following year. In his younger years, he was an outstanding skater and a powerful transition player - scored a lot of highlight-reel goals, and was really dangerous on the rush. Past that point, his jump and skating ability never seemed the same. He wasn't slow, but the explosiveness was gone.

And of course he was made Keenan's whipping boy in 1997. Treated like garbage, completely ruined his confidence.

The other point to be made is that his dropoff isn't as bad as it looks because of the trend in league scoring at the time. In the 5-8 years post 1993, scoring in the league dropped 30-35%. Everyone's totals dropped - 100 point players became 70 point guys (see Jeremy Roenick). Pro-rate his 40-50 point seasons for the era, and he's still in the 55-60 point range for most of the last 6-7 years. A dropoff to be sure, but not as dreadful as it's made out to be.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Bryan Fogarty get hands-down my vote here.
It's the most deceiving career not only in hockey, but maybe all team sports as well, as he was supposed to be the best D-Men ever, period. Nothing to do with Todd Van Poppel, Ryan Leaf or Bryan Bosworth, guys that were supposed to be successful players but not one-in-20-years wonders.

Aside from him, the biggest deception is Jimmy Waite.

Link Gaetz has his case in this thread, too...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->