Most disappointing hockey careers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OpAck

Feb 19, 2004
Wilmington, NC
After the Isles took Pat LaFontaine 3rd overall in the 1983 draft, they had 8 years of 1st round picks that either floundered or went onto average careers:

1984 - Duncan McPherson, 20th overall - solid defenseman...but just didn't pan out. 5 years later, before joining a team in Scotland as a coach, he disappeared in Austria while snowboarding. His body was discovered almost 15 years later.
1985 - Brad Dalgarno, 6th overall - put up solid numbers in the OHL, but spent most of his 10 year career as a fourth liner/minor leaguer.
1986 - Tom Fitzgerald, 17th overall - he's the exception, now being a solid veteran, has gone onto a pretty successful career.
1987 - Dean Chynoweth, 13th overall - was always a 7th defenseman throughout his career, never played over 58 games in a season.
1988 - Kevin Chevaldayoff, 16th overall - never played in the NHL.
1989 - Dave Chyzowski, 2nd overall - big disappointment, career minor leaguer.
1990 - Scott Scissons, 6th overall - another huge disappointment, suited up for two NHL games, called it quits in 1994.
1991 - Scott Lachance, 4th overall - Has had a pretty solid career, but was expected to be a Norris contender for years to come. Side note: Forsberg was taken 6th.

Transported Upstater

momentai said:
The talk about Bryan Fogarty reminded me of a topic from last year. revolverjgw posted a link to the ESPN article dealing with him.

http://espn.go.com/magazine/vol5no20fogarty.html

From the article...

Social anxiety disorder. My mom suffered from it too. I got to talking to Bryan about it. He said, "Mom, that's me. I have that most of the time. I could be driving along the road, and I have to stop because I can't make a left turn. I can't handle the national anthem. I want to get out of there. It's like standing on a railroad track, and you can't move.

Virginia Fogarty

Being the focus of everyone's attention, being as great a player as he was crippled him. His talent on the ice was his blessing and curse for his condition.

That is one of the saddest things I've ever heard :cry:

Social anxiety disorder may seem like a crock to some people...It's not a joke.

Gene Carr- Picked 4th overall in 1971 by the Blues. Injuries and his enjoyment of the nightlife ended his career at 28.

If you read Dave Schultz biography, when he was with the kings in 1976-77, Schultz mentiones and unnamed Kings teammate who enjoyed the nightlife a little too much, many people believe it was Carr. Carr was also a good friend of the Eagles Glenn Frye, who would wear his kings jersey while on stage during concerts.

lemieux32*

It's interesting to see peoples different ideas of "disappointing" IMHO a player who gets hurt is not disappointing. A player who flounders everything away partying or simply can't hack it is disappointing.

Higgy4

Jan 18, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Bobby Ryan Getzlaf said:
You're joking, right? He was picked in the 4th round, has scored over 1000 points, has nearly played 1000 games, and his career is far from over. If anything, he's one of the greatest draft picks of all-time.

Drafted #74 overall in 1989. But then again, that was before it was trendy to take Europeans with high draft picks, especially Russians. Teams werent sure if they could even get these guys to come over. Fedorov would have probably been a top 2-3 overall pick in todays NHL.

That was a strange draft for the Wings. Mike Sillinger (#11) and Bob Boughner (#32) were the first 2 picks for the Wings. Then they got Nicklas Lidstrom in the 3rd round (#53), Fedorov in the 4th, Dallas Drake in the 6th (#116), then finally....Vladimir Konstantinov was taken in the 11th round with the #221 pick. Behind such stalwarts as Andy Suhy, Bob Jones, Greg Bignell and Rick Judson. :biglaugh:

Good draft for the Wings there in 1989.

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
When Fogarty came with the Nordiques, coach Pierre Pagé knowing his problems, decided to put him with a roommate that had similar problems in the "past": John Kordic.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
God Bless Canada said:
Yeah, Volchkov is a classic bust. Horrible attitude. Proof of how far attitude will take you in life. Him and Yogi Sevjovsky were the potential impact scorers from 1996. Both fizzled out.

Always expected more out of Malholtra, but the guy basically elevated his stock with an epic performance at that year's Memorial Cup, where he nearly single-handedly carried the Guelph Storm to the national title. Everyone expected him to parlay that, but he didn't. He was below a PPG in his draft year, but all everyone remembers was his play at the Memorial Cup.

Scott Lachance has had a nice career as a reliable, steady defenceman, but big things were expected of him. He was projected as an all-star defenceman, looked great for the Isles at the end of the 1992 season, but the offence never materialized, and didn't have that edge to turn into a great shutdown defenceman. He's been a "dime a dozen" type for years.

Gratton's a waste of talent. Yikes. The guy spat on a ref in maybe the lowest-class thing I've ever seen in a game. He'll go down as one of the biggest disappointments of the last 15 years. Niedermayer never met offensive expectations, but he's carved himself a niche as one of the most heralded third line players in the game, thanks to his size, speed and hockey sense. Very solid player. Hard to criticize a guy who won a WC gold medal in 2004.
I have to argue on Manny's behalf that he has yet to be with a team that treated him to signifigant minutes.

As well, the Rags were Pejorative Slured with his development, bringing him in at an early age playing minimal minutes, rather than letting him develope in the O or even in the AHL for a few years. Like it or not, there are some prospects who realistically aren't ready for the NHL, draft position or not

jb**

Daniel Dore- had a cup of coffe I believe, very talented junior player

Ryan Sittler- total bust

Jason bowen- cup of coffee, shoul dhave kept him on d instaed of confusing himwith playing wing

Todd Bergen- played like 14 games put up great numbers, held out never to be heard from again

Pat Falloon

blamebettman*

Bobby Carpenter, was a pretty decent defensive forward the last 5 years of his career, but should've scored way more points

Higgy4

Jan 18, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
blamebettman said:
Bobby Carpenter, was a pretty decent defensive forward the last 5 years of his career, but should've scored way more points

He was the 1st American born player to top 50 goals though.

But he should have had a better career, I agree.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Bobby Ryan Getzlaf said:
You're joking, right? He was picked in the 4th round, has scored over 1000 points, has nearly played 1000 games, and his career is far from over. If anything, he's one of the greatest draft picks of all-time.

He could have been even better. Remember all those 60 point seasons he had with the Wings in the late 90's/early 2000's? It's almost like he just said 'screw offense' after he exploded into the league in the early 90's.

Higgy4

Jan 18, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
monster_bertuzzi said:
He could have been even better. Remember all those 60 point seasons he had with the Wings in the late 90's/early 2000's? It's almost like he just said 'screw offense' after he exploded into the league in the early 90's.

You mean the late 90's/early 2000's when the Wings won 3 Cups in 6 years?

The league changed...the Red Wings changed. Sure, his numbers were down, but so were everybody else's. He had his really good scoring seasons right before the NHL changed to defense first hockey. But, as a Wings fan, I think Fedorov played his best hockey during the late 90's/early 2000's. Especially April-June of those years.

Higgy4

Jan 18, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
edd1e said:
no one said selänne? 76 goals in rookie season and what has happend to him now?

Seasons of 47, 51 and 52 goals. 2 more 100+ point seasons. Consistent 30 goal scorer for most of his career. Almost 1000 points in just under 900 games.

I dont know...you tell us? What ever happened to this guy? :dunno:

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Pat Peake gets a nod from me....certainly not the most disappointing.....but deserves mention. He was really starting to come around after fighting through a slew of injuries when he shattered his heel

also...in a way Bobby Orr.....not only was his career cut short, he played most of it on one knee. Its scary to think how good he would have been had he remained reasonably healthy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->