Most disappointing hockey careers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Malefic74 said:
Jiri Dopita

Big hype coming out of the Czech league and nothing but flashes in the NHL.
He was great though last season in the CZE League and again won the CZE championship and has now 7 CZE League wins.

Hes a guy who plays great in Europe and not so great in the NHL.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'd have to say Vladimir Malakhov, b/c he's proven in short stints with the Devils and Flyers he has it within him to be a top-of-the-line defenseman, just doesn't seem to be all that interested.

Daigle is an obvious choice.

momentai

Jun 30, 2002
Visit site
The talk about Bryan Fogarty reminded me of a topic from last year. revolverjgw posted a link to the ESPN article dealing with him.

http://espn.go.com/magazine/vol5no20fogarty.html

From the article...

Social anxiety disorder. My mom suffered from it too. I got to talking to Bryan about it. He said, "Mom, that's me. I have that most of the time. I could be driving along the road, and I have to stop because I can't make a left turn. I can't handle the national anthem. I want to get out of there. It's like standing on a railroad track, and you can't move.

Virginia Fogarty

Being the focus of everyone's attention, being as great a player as he was crippled him. His talent on the ice was his blessing and curse for his condition.

Lionheart

Jul 20, 2005
Ottawa
A couple off the top of my head

-Stefan Cherneski (damn injuries)

-Gord Kluzak (could never get healthy)

Also, why did Chris Valentine go over to Europe when he was only like 24? He looked to be starting a great career with the Caps based on his stats

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
I'm not dissapointed with Bure, he never was a leader, he always was a skilled goal scorer, nothing more, he got some injuries, but had many great seasons. Lindros and Daigle, again when healthy Lindros is amazing and he has over 800 points so far, not a dissapointment! Daigle, he may not be the player people thought, but he can salvage his career, so like Lindros I'll wait till there careers are over. Kariya is hardly dissapointing!

jb**

Anyone remember Todd Bergen from the Flyers in 85? Had an awesome run at end of year and playoffs, wanted more money from the flyers(obviously his agent wasn't to bright) quit to play golf

Oiltown16

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Brett Lindros

I don't know if it all that big of bust, but its a shame he only played 51 games and only put 7 points up...

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Dale McCourt.

most talented player who (allegedly) let partying destroy what should have been a great career.

Bryan Fogerty had nothing on McCourt talent-wise.

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail
hawker14 said:
Dale McCourt.

most talented player who (allegedly) let partying destroy what should have been a great career.

Bryan Fogerty had nothing on McCourt talent-wise.

Well, Fogarty was a d-man and McCourt was a forward. In the "O", Fogarty scored 155 pts in his final junior year and MCourt was more consistent in scoring 130-140 points in his final 3 years of junior hockey. McCourt still had a very respectable NHL career. A lot of players who could put up big numbers in junior never panned out in the NHL, but at least McCourt got a decent career out of it.

As for Fogarty. His junior career is very simliar to Bobby Orr's and breaking Orr's junior records is not that impressive for Orr only had 94 pts in his final year of junior hockey and that was the most points he ever put up back then. Fogarty had one great junior year just like Bobby. I don't really know if Forgarty should even be mentioned in the same breath as Orr because I don't think he(Fogarty) or any player in the history of the NHL could've done what Orr did (for a d-man that is).

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Players Ruined by Tragic Circumstances:

Bill Masterton-Arguably the best college player of his era had to scrape and claw his way to make the NHL when he was 29 and dies on the ice in his rookie year. Stories that the team told him not to wear a helmet make it even worse.

Sheldon Kennedy-Graham James is just plain evil

Mike Danton-Same goes for Frost

Theo Fleury-Sounds like he had a bad upbringing. Was on his way to the HHOF before his decline, which possibly coinsided with the Graham James allegations coming to light.

bryandjen107

Feb 20, 2004
Bryan Fogarty without question - Broke all kinds of Jr. records and drank himself out of the league and a great career. I feel sorry for him, what a talent

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
momentai said:
The talk about Bryan Fogarty reminded me of a topic from last year. revolverjgw posted a link to the ESPN article dealing with him.

http://espn.go.com/magazine/vol5no20fogarty.html

From the article...

Social anxiety disorder. My mom suffered from it too. I got to talking to Bryan about it. He said, "Mom, that's me. I have that most of the time. I could be driving along the road, and I have to stop because I can't make a left turn. I can't handle the national anthem. I want to get out of there. It's like standing on a railroad track, and you can't move.

Virginia Fogarty

Being the focus of everyone's attention, being as great a player as he was crippled him. His talent on the ice was his blessing and curse for his condition.

There sure is a lot more to life than things like hockey....

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
jb said:
Anyone remember Todd Bergen from the Flyers in 85? Had an awesome run at end of year and playoffs, wanted more money from the flyers(obviously his agent wasn't to bright) quit to play golf

The way I heard it, Mike Keenan was constantly humiliating and insulting him in front of the team in an effort to "motivate" him. Instead all it did was drain away any love for the game that he ever had. I`ve never heard about money being an issue.

Canadarocks

Sep 16, 2005
I wasn't around at the time but didn't people have high hopes for Danny Geoffrion? After all both his father and grandfather are hall of farmers. Instead he only played a few years in the NHL.

Vote Quimby

Apr 6, 2005
Langley BC
Hedberg said:
Brian Lawton

I was waiting to see when this guy would come up.

There have been lots of top 5 picks that failed to even come close to expectations. A top 5 pick is expected to be a star and there have been quite a few that didn't even become average players;

1999 - Pavel Brendl (5th overall)
1996 - Alexandre Volchkov (4th overall) (mentioned many times in previous posts)
1995 - Aki Berg (3rd overall), Chad Kilger (4th overall)
1994 - Jason Bonsignore (4th overall)
1993 - I could mention Alexander Daigle (1st overall) here but he could still salvage an "Average" NHL career.
1992 - Todd Warriner (4th overall)
1991 - Pat Faloon (2nd overall), Aaron Ward (5th overall)
1989 - Dave Chyzowski (2nd overall)
1988 - Daniel Dore (5th overall)
1987 - Wayne McBean (4th overall)
1986 - Neil Brady, (3rd overall) Shawn Anderson (5th overall)
1983 - Bryan Lawton (1st overall)
1982 - Gord Kluzak (1st overall)
1981 - Doug Smith (2nd overall)
1980 - Doug Wickenheiser (1st overall)
1978 - Mike Gillis (5th overall)
1977 - Jere Gillis (4th overall), Mike Crombeen (5th overall)
1976 - Fred Williams (4th overall), Bjorn Johannson (5th overall)
1975 - Barry Dean (2nd overall)
1974 - Greg Joly (1st overall), Cam Connor (5th overall)

Chilly Willy*

What is more disappointing, that idiot Scouts and GM's bank on lame predictions and hype that they will be something that they are not?

Like when the coach switched Brent Burns to offense only for him to switch back after a year...

Threads like these are stupid, everyone falls into the hype of some player, when he turns out to be a defensive player instead of an offensive threat, people whine and moan or that if they are only decent at the amateur level and not really good at all at the NHL level, they are a bust.

Newsflash. They are nothing but hype and already a bust, they are drafted to prove that they can be more than that. Thats how i see it.

GM & Staff are the idiots that draft these guys based off of hype, you can either blame them or not.

isles52480

Feb 27, 2002
Portland, OR
Visit site
Habsfunk said:
I always though Vladimir Malakhov could have been a perennial Norris trophy contender if he actually cared to play his best. When he came to play he was one of the best defensemen in the league. He could shut down a guy like Jagr with ease and go end to end seemingly at will. Unfortunately those days were few and far between, but man was he a tease.

He gets my vote. For the second half of the 92-93 season and the playoffs he was one of the most dominant defenseman I've ever seen play and I watched Dennis Potvin's whole career. An absolute beast on both ends of the ice.

Haven't seen that type of play from him since.

Higgy4

Jan 18, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
As a Wings fan, I have to throw Joe Murphy's name out there. The Wings have only had the #1 overall pick once in the last 25 years or so, and they used it on Murphy. Sure, he had some decent years, but he never did squat for the Red Wings.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Oiltown16 said:
Brett Lindros

I don't know if it all that big of bust, but its a shame he only played 51 games and only put 7 points up...

In defense of the younger lindros, he had to retire before he was 21 because he had so many concusions. To say he was a dissapointment would be exagerating things. As an Islanders fan though i have to say the contract they gave him was one of the stupideist things around(i beleive it was like a million a year when most other rookis were getting like 250,000).

He should have been sent down to junior for the first year as well.

rpontbriand

Jul 1, 2003
Norman Leville. Great talent for the B's in the early 80's stopped by a freak accident on the ice.

Luc Dufour and Tom Fergus - two former B's with quick hands a ton of talent and little desire.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
I had such high hopes for Joe Juneau.

His career ended up being alright for an NHL regular.

But it was painful watching a guy who many of us had expected to become a superstar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->