Most defensive leauges in CHL

STA

Jul 25, 2006
Vancouver
WHL: 3.06 goals for per team per game

OHL: 3.55 goals for per team per game

QMJHL: 3.62 goals for per team per game

So why do you guys think that there are never these guys from the WHL getting these huge point totals in the hundred, like Sam Ganger or Pat Kane?

Because it's a more defensive league or because they don't have the talent?

May 23, 2007
Calgary

So why do you guys think that there are never these guys from the WHL getting these huge point totals in the hundred, like Sam Ganger or Pat Kane?

More defensive for sure. How many defencemen got chosen in the 1st round from the WHL?

The Q and the OHL for sure produce better offensive players. (Crosby, Richards, Thornton, Savard, etc.)

The WHL for sure produces better defencemen. (Niedermayer, Phaneuf, McCabe, Bouwmeester, etc.)

But all leagues have thier fair share with both forwards and defencemen.
(Iginla, Doan, Hartnell, Pronger, Boucher, Beauchemin)

But WHL produces better goaltenders. With the exeption of Luongo and Brodeur from the Q. ;)

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Yes, WHL is defensive just like West in NHL.....

Zach Hamill got 93 points in WHL and if it was OHL, He would have gotten about 125 points (Estimated)

And his team's coach likes to play 1-0 games.....

Just an example...

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
More defensive for sure. How many defencemen got chosen in the 1st round from the WHL?

The Q and the OHL for sure produce better offensive players. (Crosby, Richards, Thornton, Savard, etc.)

The WHL for sure produces better defencemen. (Niedermayer, Phaneuf, McCabe, Bouwmeester, etc.)

But all leagues have thier fair share with both forwards and defencemen.
(Iginla, Doan, Hartnell, Pronger, Boucher, Beauchemin)

But WHL produces better goaltenders. With the exeption of Luongo and Brodeur from the Q. ;)

I agree except for the fact of your point on goalies...

There are far more QMJHL goaltenders in the NHL than WHL...

Anaheim - Giguere - QMJHL
Atlantic - Lehtonen - Europe
Boston - Thomas - NCAA
Buffalo - Miller - NCAA
Calgary - Kipprusoff - Europe
Carolina - Ward - WHL
Chicago - Khabibulin - Europe
Colorado - Budaj - OHL
Columbus - Leclaire - QMJHL
Dallas - Turco - NCAA
Detroit - Hasek - Europe
Edmonton - Roloson - NCAA
Florida - Auld - OHL
Los Angeles - Garon - QMJHL
Minnesota - Backstrom - Europe
Montreal - Huet - Europe
Nashville - Vokoun - Europe
New Jersey - Brodeur - QMJHL
NY Islanders - DiPietro - NCAA
NY Rangers - Lundqvist - Europe
Ottawa - Emery - OHL
Pittsburgh - Fleury - QMJHL
Philly - Biron - QMJHL
Phoenix - Joseph - NCAA
San Jose - Nabokov - Europe
St-Louis - Legace - OHL
Tampa Bay - Holmqvist - Europe
Toronto - Raycroft - OHL
Vancouver - Luongo - QMJHL
Washington - Kolzig - WHL

These were #1 goalies, or the goalie who played the most (baring an injury) on the 30 NHL teams last year.

Europe - 10
QMJHL - 7
NCAA - 6
OHL - 5
WHL - 2

I will admit that the QMJHL is going through a little "lul" right now and the WHL is producing some good goalies, but lets not get carried away yet :)

Loto68

Aug 12, 2006
Boston
I was at a luncheon for corporate season ticket holders at MSG (I was invited by my father's boss) and was joking around with a scout (can't remember who, it was a couple years ago) and when the subject of the CHL came up I joked that I was surprised they used goalies in the 'Q' (due to the absurdly high point totals in the league) and he broke out laughing and said he agreed completely.

Transported Upstater

The 'Dub is a much more defensive league than the other two, it's not even close.

The O and Q are both very offensive leagues, but styles do depend from team to team. London and Sault St. Marie certainly approach the game differently, and not every team in the WHL plays like Everett does.

C-PATT

Apr 2, 2007
Edmonton
Yea the dub is definately the most defensive league of the 3

and plus they have a much harder travel schedule which can cause fatigue

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I was at a luncheon for corporate season ticket holders at MSG (I was invited by my father's boss) and was joking around with a scout (can't remember who, it was a couple years ago) and when the subject of the CHL came up I joked that I was surprised they used goalies in the 'Q' (due to the absurdly high point totals in the league) and he broke out laughing and said he agreed completely.

What a dumb ass of a scout.

There are good players in every league, scouts that paint players from one league all with the same brush don't know what they are doing.

There are offensively gifted players in the dub and there are defensive players in the Q.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON

Exactly. That's why I think my Bruins' pick Hamill in the OHL under the Knights' system could easily score 120 points. WHL is the most defensive and by far the best as shown at the Memorial Cup.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Exactly. That's why I think my Bruins' pick Hamill in the OHL under the Knights' system could easily score 120 points. WHL is the most defensive and by far the best as shown at the Memorial Cup.

If you look at the last 10 Mem Cups, the WHL has performed the worst.

BUT, you shouldn't use the Mem cup as any kind of litmus test...you're taking 1 team from each league (sometimes 2) and pinning them head to head. One league may have 2 stacked teams with a lot of the leagues talent on those 2 teams, vs one league may have 7-8 top end teams where the talent is more spread out...who do you think will look better?

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
If you look at the last 10 Mem Cups, the WHL has performed the worst.

BUT, you shouldn't use the Mem cup as any kind of litmus test...you're taking 1 team from each league (sometimes 2) and pinning them head to head. One league may have 2 stacked teams with a lot of the leagues talent on those 2 teams, vs one league may have 7-8 top end teams where the talent is more spread out...who do you think will look better?

Are you arguing the WHL isn't the best league. Everett could also probably beat any team from the O or the Q. The boys are bigger out there and play a more NHL style defensive game. The WHL always produces the best d-men and I know for a fact from watching it the whole year the overall goaltending in the OHL has to be the worst, it was pretty pathetic. I'm not going through it all but a team from the West has won 4 of the last 7 years and 5 of the last 10. I'm not going through runner ups but they've won half of the last 10 and they've performed the worst? The Q has only one twice, I don't know what your scale you're going on but I consider the league that's won half of them to be outperforming the league that's won 20%.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Are you arguing the WHL isn't the best league. Everett could also probably beat any team from the O or the Q. The boys are bigger out there and play a more NHL style defensive game. The WHL always produces the best d-men and I know for a fact from watching it the whole year the overall goaltending in the OHL has to be the worst, it was pretty pathetic. I'm not going through it all but a team from the West has won 4 of the last 7 years and 5 of the last 10. I'm not going through runner ups but they've won half of the last 10 and they've performed the worst? The Q has only one twice, I don't know what your scale you're going on but I consider the league that's won half of them to be outperforming the league that's won 20%.

Im arguing against using the Memorial Cup to prove your point :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->