Most decisive Grand Slam final win

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
John McEnroe clobbered Jimmy Connors at Wimbledon in 1984 but the score of 6-1, 6-1, 62. I can't think at the moment of a worse beat down than that, at least in the post-World War II era.

Edit: Connors beat the great but nearly 40-year-old Ken Rosewall 6-1, 6-0, 6-1 in the US Open in 1974

Last edited:

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
I don't remember exactly when but it must be 10 years ago or something, anyway one of Nadal's wins against Federer at RG when Federer looked completely dejected and lost 6-0, 6-1, don't remember the third set but it was over fairly quickly

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I remember Andre Agassi playing Rainer Schuettler at the AO in the early-2000 (2002 or 2003), with predictable results.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
I don't remember exactly when but it must be 10 years ago or something, anyway one of Nadal's wins against Federer at RG when Federer looked completely dejected and lost 6-0, 6-1, don't remember the third set but it was over fairly quickly
Rafa won 6-1, 6-3, 6-0 over Fed in the 2008 French Open finals, I've never seen a superstar get destroyed like that on a tennis court before tbh. And would you know it, a month later, Rafa dethroned Fed at Wimbledon, and I think the lopsided score gave Rafa a lot of added confidence in the Wimby match.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
Djokovic - Nadal at AO 2019 was pretty similar to the 08 FO finals in terms of one superstar being outclassed and overmatched by the other.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
I'll add Federer-Hewitt at US Open 2004.

After Hewitt came back from two sets down to win over Federer in their DC clash in late 2003, it looked as if he could be forever stuck in Fed's head because Federer played a perfect tennis in the first two sets and basically lost the match out of nowhere.

They didn't wait long to meet again. At AO 2004, Hewitt took the pretty even first set of the match and looked all confident going into the second. That's where Federer shifted the gears and he never looked back. He completely outclassed and pummeled Hewitt. Ever since then, their matches looked like a cat-mouse scenario.

Not only Federer demolished Hewitt on every occasion leading up to the US Open final; he never forgot to bagel Lleyton in the process. True, Hewitt took one set from Federer at Wimbledon through tiebreak, but he never ever looked like winning. Still, he was leading their H2H going into the US Open final match. That and the fact (that unlike Roger) he didn't drop a single set throughout the tournament led to a few tennis people speculating maybe he would stand a chance.

The match had him suffer inexcusable punishment at the hands of tennis perfection. He got bageled twice. And his look after the match ended is unforgettable. I think that was the moment he finally realized he would never again become a No.1 as long as that guy was around. He met his Kryptonite.

Cruor

May 12, 2012
Last FO final do count?

I think so. Rafa lost a step over the years, lest anyone forgets he won the FO for the first time in 2005 (!). The weather was cold, the balls were heavier. Djokovic had a positive head to head (29-26 before the finals), and Nadal had just lost to Schwartzman in Rome. Going into the final I thought he was there for the taking.

And then Nadal went Nadal and bageled Djokovic in the first set (how many times has that happened?). And then almost breadsticked him in the second. I thought it was an extremely impressive performance, Nadal rises to the occasion (on clay) like few others.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Connors - Rosewall 1974 USO 6-1 6-0 6-1
Borg - Vilas 1978 RG 6-1 6-1 6-3
McEnroe - Connors 1984 Wimbledon 6-1 6-1 6-2

Borg at the 1978 French Open has to be the most dominant performance at a major tournament of all time. Or at least close. He steamrolled everyone. 1978 French Open – Men's Singles - Wikipedia

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->