Most controversial or offensive storylines or incidents ever done in wrestling

Feb 24, 2017
Pretty sure Vince wanted Stephanie to be part of some incest angle, (Not sure if it was with him or Shane) and she killed it multiple times, thankfully.

... Not sure how anybody's bringing Pillman's got a gun into this. When you accept that it's entertainment, it's actually a pretty good angle if you have two believable characters, which Pillman and Austin were.
Austin 3:16 vs Pillman 9mm

Reactions: tonyhawks77

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Pretty sure Vince wanted Stephanie to be part of some incest angle, (Not sure if it was with him or Shane) and she killed it multiple times, thankfully.

... Not sure how anybody's bringing Pillman's got a gun into this. When you accept that it's entertainment, it's actually a pretty good angle if you have two believable characters, which Pillman and Austin were.

because Pillman's got a gun got them within a hair of being thrown off of TV and losing all of their sponsors.

dont forget when this angle happened, kayfabe was very much still alive and bought into. there wasnt the internet leaking everything and Vince hadn't had the infamous speech yet where he essentially announced that "hey, wrestling is fake"

this also was before the Attitude Era, in the mid 90s when WWE was oriented to a younger audience

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
because Pillman's got a gun got them within a hair of being thrown off of TV and losing all of their sponsors.

dont forget when this angle happened, kayfabe was very much still alive and bought into. there wasnt the internet leaking everything and Vince hadn't had the infamous speech yet where he essentially announced that "hey, wrestling is fake"

this also was before the Attitude Era, in the mid 90s when WWE was oriented to a younger audience

Wait..what?

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
The Gangstas run in the backwoods towns of SMW got even too much heat. They wasn’t ready. Truly some amazing promos from New Jack though.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Has anybody here posted this yet?

Offensive? No.

Controversial? If by getting major heat, then sure. I'm not sure if it's controversial like some of the other things mentioned in the thread.

Interesting side story to that clip:

PS: I thought that was great earlier you were telling the story of the young boy and the basketball. How did he end up finding you and how did you end up finding him?
TD: Of all the stunts that we did to get the people to understand that I was a scoundrel, was that one. When we rehearsed, I wasn’t really hardcore harsh. When we did it live in front of the crowd and it got to the place where he dribbles the ball, he supposed to get to 15, he gets to 14 and I stick my foot out and the ball bounces off my foot. Everybody knows I just screwed this poor little kid. I say to him, I’m sorry son, but at a young age, you’re going to have to learn a harsh lesson of life. When you don’t get the job done, you don’t get the money. My loud voice and deep voice scared him. He had these great big crocodile tears. He ran to his mother. In reality, he couldn’t have done it any better. We couldn’t have rehearsed it. It wasn’t that good when we rehearsed it.

I look like the biggest heel because I just made this little boy cry. I remember going in the back and everyone’s saying, oh man, that was great. I said, it might have been great, but you guys are going to need an armored car to get me out of this building tonight. Those people want to lynch me right now. People always want to ask, did you do that? Did you really do that to that kid? I tell them of course not. I said, the last couple of years I said, that kid was like 4 or 5 or 6. Somewhere now, he’s got to be somewhere in his mid-20s, 24-26 years old. With my luck, he’s probably 6-6 now. He’s going to walk up to me in an airport, tap me on the shoulder and say hey remember me. I just laughed.

I actually flew to Omaha, which is where I’m from originally. I was going there to do a speaking engagement. I rented a car and I walked out to where they had the cars. They had another place where I had to pick up the keys. Just like I said, jokingly 50 or 60 different times, this guy walks up to me, taps me on the shoulder and there he was. Six-foot-six. He said, “Do you remember the little kid with the basketball?” I said, “No way.” He goes, yup it was me. I said, what did you do with your life? He said well, I went to Colorado on a basketball scholarship.

Under the Ring interview with “Million Dollar Man” Ted DiBiase | Under the Ring

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
I remember Tim dropping a toaster in the bath and other awful shot.

I rewatched Vince interviewing Pillman's widow again. That was just so scumy

It was. Have you read the book about Pillman? Apparently everyone hates her and that includes some of their own children.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Bossman feeding Al Snow his dog, should have been a really great and controversial angle, but two things had killed it, we were reaching a point where fans were so burned out by turns, swerves and ridiculous storylines that it barely registered. Plus the feud buildup to payoff was too goofy. They could have basically made Bossman a really dark serial killer type of heel, but they didn't do it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The whole Slaughter just seemed crazy. I remember my dad watching with me and telling me how stupid wrestling was to begin with, now they have a traitor during a very tense time in the United States.

For year Slaughter had to been the most hated man in Wrestling. Don't know if he ever encountered any out of the ring issues.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
The whole Slaughter just seemed crazy. I remember my dad watching with me and telling me how stupid wrestling was to begin with, now they have a traitor during a very tense time in the United States.

For year Slaughter had to been the most hated man in Wrestling. Don't know if he ever encountered any out of the ring issues.

I've read stories about him being chased out of town, having beer bottles and shit thrown at him. From what I've read, he legitimately feared for his life on multiple occasions during that run.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Hold up, everyone knew it was fake in the 90s, who are you trying to convince?

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Welp here's one I saw on Twitter: a Maryland indie promotion tonight did a 10 bell salute for Rockin Rebel. As you may have heard today he killed his girlfriend before offing himself (the police have confirmed it was a murder/suicide). Can't get more lower or scummier than that.

"Oh yeah?" - Chris Benoit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad