Most controversial or offensive storylines or incidents ever done in wrestling

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
With this whole Moolah debacle, I wonder what some of you find the most offensive. Here's some potential candidates.

1. Sgt. Slaughter turncoat gimmick
  2. Vince making Trish strip down and bark
  3. Stone Cold and HHH beating up Lita
  4. Keeping the Over the Edge PPV going after Owen died
  5. Katie Vick storyline during a Kane and HHH feud
  6. The terrorism segment during the Undertaker and Muhammad Hassan feud
  7. Eddie Guerrero storyline during the Rey Mysterio World Title chase
  8. Paul Bearer storyline during the Punk and Taker feud
  9. Eugene
  10. Mass Transit incident
  11. Roddy Piper going half blackface during feud with Bad News Brown at WM3
  12. Reid Flair segment during the Paige and Charlotte feud
That's all I've got at the top of my head...

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Stephanie equating 9/11 to her father being on trial.
Holy f*** I forgot about that and now that it's been mentioned I remember the words exactly. Unreal.

Katie Vick was also a weird one cause I was like 8 years old and wondering why HHH was wearing Kane's mask and humping a coffin

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
The obvious winner was when the Dungeon of Doom introduced a new wrestler in 1996: the "Final Solution" to end Hulkamania.

That one was like Moolah on steroids. WCW changed it when several organizations complained and they claimed ignorance. That's the biggest load of crap I have ever heard. As if nobody in the creative process down to the wrestlers involved had heard of the Holocaust before. Yikes.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Anything that involved Eugene.

The battle for custody of Dominik.

Road Warrior Hawk’s suicide attempt due to addiction.

The ref (forgot his name) who kept trying to kill himself.

Piggy James

The whole pregnancy angle with Lita and Kane, which ended in the baby punt.

Vince causally dropping the N-bomb

Vince interviewing Pillman’s Wife the night after he died

“Choppy choppy pee pee”

Kurt Angle trying to moleste Booker’s wife

Basically any female angle booked by Russo

Vince vs Steph, which was basically a snuff film

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
The obvious winner was when the Dungeon of Doom introduced a new wrestler in 1996: the "Final Solution" to end Hulkamania.

That one was like Moolah on steroids. WCW changed it when several organizations complained and they claimed ignorance. That's the biggest load of crap I have ever heard. As if nobody in the creative process down to the wrestlers involved had heard of the Holocaust before. Yikes.
It's still crazy to me that WWE have show called "Elimination Chamber". They re-name it for Germany, but they still push it elsewhere. If you have to re-name a show and you do it, then it's probably a good idea to change the name completely.

And on the topic of Nazis, here's a NJPW poster:
x98c4y54gcgz.jpg

It's actually a defensible design in their local market, Nazi style isn't a negative like it is in the west and they teach different history as they are very detached from Europe. But it's still terrible to the outside.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
It's still crazy to me that WWE have show called "Elimination Chamber". They re-name it for Germany, but they still push it elsewhere. If you have to re-name a show and you do it, then it's probably a good idea to change the name completely.

And on the topic of Nazis, here's a NJPW poster:
x98c4y54gcgz.jpg

It's actually a defensible design in their local market, Nazi style isn't a negative like it is in the west and they teach different history as they are very detached from Europe. But it's still terrible to the outside.

I just did some reading on Japanese education. That is absolutely awful. They almost totally ignore their own atrocities. It makes me sick. America has awful public education yet every American knows about the slaughter of Natives by our government in the 19th century as well as the internment of Japanese civilians during WW2.

Nazi symbols being socially acceptable is bad taste. Editing history to ignore your nation and its allies' past wrongdoings? Irresponsible and dangerous. Shame on their government for mis-informing the public.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
The crucifixion in ECW, Paul had to come out and apologize right after and claims to this day that he didn't know that was going to happen.

The Steve Austin Pillman home invasion that had Austin pretty much murder a security guard by bashing his head in a car door, then the segment ended with a Austin daring Pillman to shoot, then the screen going blank and a shot ringing out. That segment almost cost the WWE every sponsor they had.

Going into the vault. The Archie Gouldie Bad News Allen angle that ended up getting Stampede Wrestling's license pulled, the show moving out to a reservation and Ed Whalen quitting.

Basically it was a tag team match with Archie, his son (Not really his son) and Allen tagging up against the Harts. Half way through the match Allen turned on Gouldie, handcuffed him to the ring, grabbed his son on the concrete and starting a riot, where Allen punched out a bunch of fans. Allen did a promo that basically stated that "See what I did, I crippled him, I don't care if the son of a bitch dies" as paramedics put Gouldie's kid on a stretcher. Then Gouldie did this amazing promo where he blamed himself for letting his son wrestle, and that he was going to go to the hospital to visit his son, then he was going to get the man that hurt him.

Then Ed Whalen hung the mic on the rope and quit for real and didn't return for a long time.

They had to move the next card to a indian reservation way outside of town, and there was a storm for the blow off match that was basically a dog collar match, that wasn't as good as the build up.

Stu had to pay a monstrous fine, then he decided that he was done with Stampede Wrestling and shut it down.

The biggest thing was after Gouldie's fake son was hurt, hospital phone systems around the city were flooded with fans trying to find out if he was alive or dead, meanwhile the wrestler who's real name was Tommy Lane was put on a plane to Texas.

Tommy Lane later on formed the Rock and Roll RPM's and feuded with the Midnight Express, the Fantastics and the Midnight Rockers,

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey

Speaking of WCW, I wonder where Dustin Runnels Seven gimmick would place had they decided to actually go through with it. A creep stalking children would not have gone over very well.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Lol that ref just wanted to kill Josh Matthews

They f***ing called that segment “Suicide Lunchtime” ffs

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Just think about all the stuff they didn’t do like the Vince/Steph incest angle and the rumors of James Ellsworth challenging Charlotte.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Billy and Chuck admitting they're not actually gay to get a positive reaction from the crowd. Doesn't seem like much but the psychology behind that is kind of messed up.

Yeah the Suicide Tim White stuff was bad. I though it was funny as a kid but now that I'm older and have actually seen the disaster that can be mental health on others and myself, it's not cool at all.

Basing the entire WM19 World Title scene of Booker/HHH around the relationship between race and social class and then having the rich white guy WIN.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
And its just my opinion of course, *MOST* of the "controversial" angles I have no problem with as long as it makes for a good story. I view wrestling as a dramatic television show, nothing more. If there is a heinous character, and the writing is good, I am all for it. Ramsay Bolton style.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
A lot of the stuff I would've said has already been said so I'm just going to add the Zandig meat hook hanging incident in CZW.

One of the most disgusting things I've ever seen.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
It occurs to me that in my viewing of the WWE product I always happen to catch it during the worst possible time even when just checking to see what goes on. I had almost completely given up on Raw by Mania 22 and would watch every couple of weeks and still saw all the horrible crap it had to offer

In no order

1. Mae Young giving birth to a hand (not too young to remember that)
2. The entire Vince vs Stephanie fiasco with the "I quit" match
3. The Snitsky "It wasn't my fault" angle and baby punt
4. The live sex celebration -The whole thing was so stupid
5. Vince McMahon and the fruit of his loins Shane versus Shawn Michaels and God -just horrible
6. JBL playing border patrol - I didn't think it was in good taste
7. The entire Eddie Guerrero heel turn with being Dominick's Papi -I guess they got the reworked incest angle
8. Hornswoggle being McMahon's child - Easily the WORST thing I have ever watched. I don't even know if it's controversial or offensive. It was offensively horrible And saw it checking in
9. Everything done with Tim White trying to kill himself
10. Zach Gowen getting thrown down a flight of stairs by Brock Lesnar a few months after he stands up to Big Show's bullying of Rey Mysterio
11. The Piggy James debacle -which I saw courtesy of just checking in as well

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
And its just my opinion of course, *MOST* of the "controversial" angles I have no problem with as long as it makes for a good story. I view wrestling as a dramatic television show, nothing more. If there is a heinous character, and the writing is good, I am all for it. Ramsay Bolton style.

I agree, particularly when the heel (an obvious bad guy) does something bad. If a wrestler who is presented as a villain does something villainous, the obvious implication is that the action was a bad thing and I don't understand the point of getting up in arms about it. I guess that's the work aspect. There are a few instances in this thread however where the promotion presented something negative as a positive, which generally should be looked upon badly.

The thing I dislike most is when WWE exploits a serious situation, along the lines of Eddie Guerrero's death.

Also, a lot of the more brutal statements happened well before when most people here (myself included) watched wrestling regularly. Things that David Schultz used to say, Jessie Ventura used to say, even one particularly brutal statement from The Genius (regarding the effects of aids) go far beyond what I've seen since the 90s.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I just did some reading on Japanese education. That is absolutely awful. They almost totally ignore their own atrocities. It makes me sick. America has awful public education yet every American knows about the slaughter of Natives by our government in the 19th century as well as the internment of Japanese civilians during WW2.

Nazi symbols being socially acceptable is bad taste. Editing history to ignore your nation and its allies' past wrongdoings? Irresponsible and dangerous. Shame on their government for mis-informing the public.
Yup. Japan has a massive black mark against them for not even acknowledging what they've done in the past. Especially when you compare them to Germany who actively work to make sure it never happens again. The contrast is scary.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Billy and Chuck admitting they're not actually gay to get a positive reaction from the crowd. Doesn't seem like much but the psychology behind that is kind of messed up.

That was such a stupid thing, but the only thing that saved it was Eric in the makeup and mentioned 3 minutes, tore off the makeup and three minutes came down and destroyed everything

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->