Most controversial draft picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
I don't want to know the best or worst, I just want to hear about some controversial ones.

Eric Lindros, 1991 - after stating intent to refuse to play in Quebec, was selected by Quebec 1st overall

Blake Wheeler, 2004 - projected 2nd rounder going 5th overall

Jaromir Jagr, 1990 - a risk being picked so high because everyone thought he had to fulfill military duties

Pavel Bure, 1989 - all the papers involved, rumblings of russian mafia, eligibility, and what not.

BigAl

Oct 3, 2002
Visit site
Rick Dipietro going 1st overall to the Islanders. Controversial because he was the first goalie to ever go 1st overall I believe, but more so because Mad Mike traded Luongo for the pick, when Luongo was obviously further along in his development and ready to start winning hockey games.

longtime listener

Nov 18, 2003
bobby clarke

bobby clarke... taken in the 2nd round despite 1st round talent and profile because of his diabetes.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Keith Tkachuk - 1st rounder despite being a raw and unproven American high-school kid

Jay Bouwmeester - Taken 3rd overall despite being pimped to go 1st overall uncontested since the age of 15 - 16

The Sedins - Brothers taken top 3 in the same draft

Mogilny - Fourth round when Soviets weren't allowed to come

The other good ones have already been said

Ogopogo*

Mario Lemieux.

He wanted more money and refused to shake hands or put on the jersey when picked.

Rails

Mar 30, 2003
LBurg and FBurg, VA
Visit site
Ogopogo said:
Mario Lemieux.

He wanted more money and refused to shake hands or put on the jersey when picked.

And because New Jersey and Pittsburgh were both tanking the season to get him. One example way there is a lottery now. There were others too, closer to when the lottery was initiated

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
clefty said:
Ovechkin in 2003, ninth round.

Actually, that was probably the least risky pick. Ninth rounders generally don't pan out anyways, the Panthers didn't have much to lose and everything to gain. Way to try and warp the time space continum is all I have to say on that :handclap:

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
J.J. Daigneault and Drake Berehowsky, in their respective draft years, showing up at the draft on crutches...you should see the look on the local media's face, priceless...

The whole Pavel Bure is he eligible or not eligible and the arbitrator's ruling on it.

Petr Svoboda, the mystery man the Canadiens produced out of nowhere at the Forum...they had him hidden away so no one else could get to him.

Brian Burke making like a chessmaster to make the Sedin thing happen.

Mario not putting on the Pens' sweater in 84 was huge...

St. Louis not drafting at all one year...

Craig Simpson sending a letter to the Leafs saying not to draft him...

Nilsson-Parise (WHAMMO!!!!)

like someone else said, the DiPietro saga

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
PM Bouchard, small center going to a defensive team

Brent Burns, unknown RW converted from defense...

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Doug Wickenhieser instead of Savard

Ottawa's GM hinting at tanking to get Daigle. Daigle's contract.

Buffalo drafting Jiri Dudacek

Bowman drafting Phil Housley out of high school

Steve Kelly over Shane Doan.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
DoobieDoobieDo said:
PM Bouchard, small center going to a defensive team

Brent Burns, unknown RW converted from defense...

How are either one of those controversal exactly? When I think 'most controversal draft picks ever' PM Bouchard and Brent Burns don't exactly come to mind.

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
kmad said:
Jaromir Jagr, 1990 - a risk being picked so high because everyone thought he had to fulfill military duties

This is pure nonsense. There were 5 elite players that year who were head and shoulders above everyone else., Jagr was one and everyone knew he would go in the top 5. The only question was where. He fell to the "bottom" because of the possibility of military service, but he was sure to be picked where he was if not higher.

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
kmad said:
I don't want to know the best or worst, I just want to hear about some controversial ones.

Eric Lindros, 1991 - after stating intent to refuse to play in Quebec, was selected by Quebec 1st overall

Blake Wheeler, 2004 - projected 2nd rounder going 5th overall

Pavel Bure, 1989 - all the papers involved, rumblings of russian mafia, eligibility, and what not.

The responding here must be under 10 years old. They obviously don't know about the real controversies:

1980: Montreal picking Doug Wickenhauser over Denis Sevard. People in Montreal wents nuts that the Canadiens would pick and English player over the next big French star. But the Canadiens management went with the big guy over the little guy.

1983 The North stars out of nowhere use the first overall on Brian Lawton, a relatively unknown US high school player. They pass on he the obvious picks of LaFontaine, Turgeon, and Yzerman. Even at the time most people though it a horrible mistake.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Jovanovski = Norris said:
Keith Tkachuk - 1st rounder despite being a raw and unproven American high-school kid

Jay Bouwmeester - Taken 3rd overall despite being pimped to go 1st overall uncontested since the age of 15 - 16

The Sedins - Brothers taken top 3 in the same draft

Mogilny - Fourth round when Soviets weren't allowed to come

The other good ones have already been said

J-Bo should have gone 1st overall. But Dudley swap pick with Columbus for a chance to swap pick with Columbus again in 2003 draft. But before everything Dudley send a couple of picks to Atlanta first to secure that Atlanta would not pick J-Bo. So all in all, nobody could draft J-Bo beside the Panthers.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
Many great ones have been named but my all-time favorite:

When the Sabres drafted Taro Tsujimoto.

:bow: Taro :bow:

Between this post and the Bonsignore form letter... you're killin' me. Writing up the same post first. I feel just like that guy who was in second place. Oh wait, "nobody remembers who came in 2nd."

You da man! :bow:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Psycho Joe said:
The vast majority of GM's would have made the same decision and if they didn't go with Wickenhieser they would have gone with Babych. Others would have gone with Murphy or Coffey ahead of Savard.
All of which would have been better choices. The fans sure had a favorite.

Upcomming: Sidney Crosby lottery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad