Most amazing record safe for another 9+ years

Darch

Jun 30, 2009
OV had 3 straight 50-goal seasons, but it ends there. Bossy's most amazing record is safe for another decade at least.

Sorry, I look at the record books, and this is the one that simply jumps at me. What a symbol of consistency!

The Great One was closest with 8.

Simply...WOW

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Espo's record of leading the league in goals six straight seasons is more impressive to me....

....which is not to say Bossy's record streak of 50+ is not impressive, it is amazing.

Bossy did lead the league twice during his run, and was also runner up three different times, (to three different players).

tazzy19

Mar 27, 2008
8 straight Hart Trophies (from start of career) and 11 straight 100+ assist seasons jump out at me. Oh, 163 assists in a season is a ridiculous record as well.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
8 straight Hart Trophies (from start of career) and 11 straight 100+ assist seasons jump out at me.

As far as streaks go both of these are utterly ridiculous.

And I think that the consecutive Harts would fall before the 100+ assist seasons.

shazariahl

Apr 7, 2009
As far as streaks go both of these are utterly ridiculous.

And I think that the consecutive Harts would fall before the 100+ assist seasons.

Agreed. As crazy as 8 Harts is, only Orr and Lemieux have even broken the 100 assist mark, besides Gretzky himself of course. Lemieux and Orr did it only once each. The likelihood of someone doing it 12+ years in a row just seems too staggeringly small, especially in an age where 100 points is a great season.

Infinite Vision*

Here's one that never gets mentioned and I only found out about it recently. It almost doesn't make much sense like a lot of Gretzky's records, this isn't technically a record but for the first 9 years of his career, (first 9 years, 9 years in a row) he never once went two straight games without a point. That's the most amazing thing I've ever heard of, no one will ever do something like that for two straight seasons...

Jonathan17

Trollface!
Nov 19, 2005
Oakville
No one will beat Hall's streak for sure. He also had another 300+ game streak, I think, on top of the 500+ streak.

Gretzky's consecutive games scoring of 51 will never be broken. Joe DiMaggio's consecutive games hitting streak will broken before that one.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
While I don't think Hall's record is the most impressive, I think it's the only record that is truly unbreakable. There are others that are very unlikely, but starting so many consecutive games in this age and day is impossible.

Irato99

Nov 8, 2010
Here's one that never gets mentioned and I only found out about it recently. It almost doesn't make much sense like a lot of Gretzky's records, this isn't technically a record but for the first 9 years of his career, (first 9 years, 9 years in a row) he never once went two straight games without a point. That's the most amazing thing I've ever heard of, no one will ever do something like that for two straight seasons...

Sorry to say that but it isn't true. He had a stretch of 5 complete seasons without two straight pointless games (staring with his 3rd), but not his first 9 years. On his 1st season he had three straight pointless games (twice), it didn't happen again until 13 years later. He only had four straight pointless games once in 97.

Infinite Vision*

Sorry to say that but it isn't true. He had a stretch of 5 complete seasons without two straight pointless games (staring with his 3rd), but not his first 9 years. On his 1st season he had three straight pointless games (twice), it didn't happen again until 13 years later. He only had four straight pointless games once in 97.

Yeah I read that here somewhere not too long ago I assumed it was true, that makes more sense though. Still astonishing nonetheless. Playing 5 full seasons in a row without going 2 straight games without a point? That's freaky.

Does this include playoffs as well for those years?

Irato99

Nov 8, 2010
Yeah I read that here somewhere not too long ago I assumed it was true, that makes more sense though. Still astonishing nonetheless. Playing 5 full seasons in a row without going 2 straight games without a point? That's freaky.

Does this include playoffs as well for those years?

I only checked for regular season, in the playoffs I think he had a tough time against the Islanders in 83, I'll go check that. (Edit: It was in 84 actually, 0 pts in the first two games)

Last edited:

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
My vote goes to:

Gordie Howe's 20 consecutive years in the top 5 of scoring.

That one sentence speaks to such incredible skill, consistency, and durablity, that's it almost hard to fathom.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Getting back to Bossy's record I know there are better records to be broken (as we've seen on this thread) but when you don't even have Gretzky tackle this record then that's telling. I know he missed 16 games in 1987-'88 and probably would have hit 50 goals that year but at the end of the day you still have to give this to Bossy.

First off, you have to be healthy. You can't do what Crosby did this year. Or you can't break your leg or arm. You have to do this in a very small window in your 20s. Just look at the scarce amount of times players in their 30s hit 50 goals, it doesn't happen very often. You also have to have a boatload of talent. Bossy had that. He could score on you many different ways. I mean, Brett Hull is a guy we revere around here and he "only" had 5 50+ goal seasons in a row. Lemieux was hurt too much to threaten it. Kurri never touched that. Dionne did it 5 times in a row and Lafleur had 6 in a row. Ovechkin only had 3 in a row. We're talking about the greatest goal scorers in NHL history (at least since the 50 goal season became more common place post expansion) and none of them have threatened it.

deadpuckpro

Apr 2, 2011
Yellowknife
8 straight Harts? Start of career or not, that's untouchable. There's no way a guy goes 8 years, dominating the league to the point of being the MVP, without a significant injury or some goalie lighting it up for a year.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
8 straight Harts? Start of career or not, that's untouchable. There's no way a guy goes 8 years, dominating the league to the point of being the MVP, without a significant injury or some goalie lighting it up for a year.

Winning 8 Harts, in a row or not, never going to happen ever again. (Gretzky has nine, *******)

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Glen Hall holds NHL record for most consecutive games started with 502 games.

Beat it.

It's an impressive record, that will never be broken only because the game is so different now. Not on the same level as the rest of the records in this thread. Much like Hainsworth's 22 shutout season in 44 games or whatever it was.

No one will beat Hall's streak for sure. He also had another 300+ game streak, I think, on top of the 500+ streak.

Gretzky's consecutive games scoring of 51 will never be broken. Joe DiMaggio's consecutive games hitting streak will broken before that one.

Of all the records "never to be broken" I could easily see a point streak being broken.
My vote goes to:

That one sentence speaks to such incredible skill, consistency, and durablity, that's it almost hard to fathom.

More amazing than Hall's record IMO. Again, I can't see this being broken just because the game has changed so much.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009

It only needs a bit better player than Jagr with Selannes late career qualities with no injuries. I can see it happening, though for sure it's safe for another 9+ years, cause there isn´t even one player with 11 consecutive top 10 finishes let alone top 5. Daniel Sedin with 2 consecutive after this year?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Whoa, hold on there. Selanne isn't exactly the model of consistency, and it's quite possible that his mid career swoon is what enaed him tonreturn from the lockout rejuvenated.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
Whoa, hold on there. Selanne isn't exactly the model of consistency, and it's quite possible that his mid career swoon is what enaed him tonreturn from the lockout rejuvenated.

Selanne's mid-career swoon can be attributed to his trade to San Jose in February 2001. His offensive production fell off dramatically during his first full season with the Sharks in 2002, a direct result of both knee problems and playing under Darryl Sutter, whose system signaled death for any explosive individual talent. Sutter's offensive philosophy was based on equal distribution of the puck between all three forwards on the ice, and it stressed scoring depth over high individual scoring. When Selanne was in Anaheim, the Ducks had AHL-level offensive talent beyond him and Kariya, and their offensive understandably ran through their two explosive wingers. But San Jose was an extremely deep offensive team that spread the puck around. In 2001-2002, they scored 248 goals, only 3 less than the Hall of Fame showcase Detroit Red Wings. The Sharks did not have a 30 goal scorer, but they had six 20 goal scorers and eight players with over 17 goals. You can attribute Selanne's drop in goal production partially to this factor.

Selanne had several injury issues in San Jose, but it wasn't until 2004 in Colorado that his knee gave out on him completely. He was a disaster that year. You cringed when you watched him because he had none of that speed nor explosiveness. The lockout was the greatest thing to ever happen to him. He had multiple knee surgeries following 2004 and had all the time in the world to recover and rehabilitate back to full-strength. So I would say, beyond the 2 full years he spent in SJ, in a tough system, and that 1 year in Colorado, with both of his knees shot, that Selanne has been pretty damn consistent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad