Most Accurate Draft

Gunnar Stahl 30

...In The World!
Dec 9, 2006
Marty's Better
Which draft has been the most accurate as far as talent in order picked. there are a bunch of thread talking about repicking the "X" draft well, which one has been the most accurate accoding to talent in order.

i really dont know so im curious

vikash1987

Mar 7, 2004
New York
indeed an extremely interesting question.......one which perhaps warrants a formal mathematical/statistical analysis (?)

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Off the top of my head, and for the first round alone, 2001 and 2002 seem like pretty good candidates. You'll never get a perfect one of course, but they seem pretty close...

CRDragon

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
Dec 2, 2006
Vancouver
indeed an extremely interesting question.......one which perhaps warrants a formal mathematical/statistical analysis (?)

stats doesnt determine everything.

math might....

but its hard to tell....better defensive defensemen that was picked 8th...or high scorer was picked 15th?

like u can never tell....really.....or at least very hard.

But in terms of the best draft year....look at 2003...1st rounders.

pnep

Mar 10, 2004
Novosibirsk,Russia
Tom Lysiak and Lanny McDonald were 2nd and 4th overall and arguably the 2 best forwards from that draft.

Bob "Le Capitaine" Gainey - 8 - Round 1
Rick "Nifty" Middleton - 14 - Round 1​

Randy Holt is probably the lowest drafted player (3rd round, 45th overall) who had any kind of memorable NHL career.
Blair McDonald (6th round, 86th overall) is the only late round pick with notable NHL success. 219 Games 91 goals and 100 assists for 191 points. Most of those points came from playing on a line with Wayne Gretzky in the days before Messier and Kurri.

Gord Lane - 134 - Round 9
Bob "Vlades" Lorimer - 129 - Round 9
Andre "Ace" St. Laurent -49 - Round 4
Ken "Chub" Houston - 85 - Round 6
Larry Patey - 130 - Round 9
Greg Fox - 162 - Round 11
John "Wire" Wensink - 104 - Round 7​

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Anyone else think 2001 was a fair enough assessment? Take away Svitov and Chistov and it seems to be a fair first round. I would take Spezza over Kovalchuk but some here I'm sure have no problem seeing Kovy go #1 over Spezza. Leclaire was the best goalie, then and now. The first round has guys like Weiss, Koivu, Ruutu, Komisarek, Hamhuis, Hemsky, Kobasew, Umberger........ pretty much in that order save a couple busts.

Canadiens Fan

Oct 3, 2008
Lysiak was the forward from that draft who had the best PPG% during his career. McDonald had the most points.

1979 was a deeper draft but they were more out of order.
Rob Ramage was not the best player from that draft and Ray Bourque was not the 4th best defensman.

Find me one person (other than you) who thinks that Tom Lysiak was a better hockey player than Bob Gainey.

In addition to the Selke trophies, Conn Smythe, All-Star games, and Team Canada appearances one could add that Gainey in addition, to being the preeminent defensive forward of his day (and maybe all-time), was one of the greatest leaders and captains of his day.

Let's just say that Bob Gainey is in the Hockey Hall of Fame, and that Tom Lysiak will always have to pay the admission fee like you and me.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Thornton
Marleau
Jokinen
Luongo
Brewer

The top 5 players from that draft are probably in this order:

Thornton
Luongo
Hossa
Jokinen
Marleau

Loto68

Aug 12, 2006
Boston
Leclaire was the best goalie, then and now.

Dan Blackburn might have something to say about that. He was better in his first years than Loungo was, and Blackburn was in the NHL at 18, Leclair couldn't compare. If he hadn't been forced to retire because of that nerve damage, Lundqvist would not likely be the Rangers goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad