Mortal Kombat 1

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I never could get used to having to use a blocking button not to mention damn near impossible to use a stick with MK games but I might give this a shot.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I never could get used to having to use a blocking button not to mention damn near impossible to use a stick with MK games but I might give this a shot.
My recollection from the arcade days is that we were either Street Fighter kids or MK kids, like no one liked both games equally.

I was very much the former.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
My recollection from the arcade days is that we were either Street Fighter kids or MK kids, like no one liked both games equally.

lol yup. I never did get into MK. Would play at my neighbors since he had it but never got the hang of it.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Great trailer, but i stopped playing fighting games 25 years ago. Though I did love playing MK on my Genesis.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Yeah, I was an MK kid on a Genesis using the blood code for fatalities. Both are iconic but only really played Street Fighter at friends. I rarely play fighting games anymore but this and SF6 have me curious. This one def hits the nostalgia button.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Mortal Kombat has always felt like the lame, superficial, and gimmicky one to me compared to Street Fighter (which just has a classic elegance, style, depth and precision to it that appeals a lot more to me), personally.

So is this a reboot of the original, a prequel, or just a new alternate dimension timeline reset thing?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Mortal Kombat requires a block button. Too many attacks that teleport behind you for it to be backwards to block.
Mortal Kombat has always felt like the lame, superficial, and gimmicky one to me compared to Street Fighter (which just has a classic elegance, style, depth and precision to it that appeals a lot more to me), personally.

So is this a reboot of the original, a prequel, or just a new alternate dimension timeline reset thing?

Its a direct sequel to MK11 and its expansion Aftermath, the Liu Kang in this game is the obvious tell that its not a reboot or prequel.

Last edited:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
First season of DLC has leaked already.

Ermac, Quan Chi, Takeda, Peacemaker, Omni Man, and Homelander.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Dumbest title ever.

Mortal Kombat 1 was the original.

They tried this earlier with the previous reboot when Mortal Kombat 9 became just Mortal Kombat.

So there are actually 3 Mortal Kombat "1."

1. Mortal Kombat
2. Mortal Kombat II
3. Mortal Kombat III
4. Mortal Kombat IV
5. Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance
6. Mortal Kombat Deception
7. Mortal Kombat Armegedon
8. Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe
9. Mortal Kombat
10. Mortal Kombat X
11. Mortal Kombat 11
12. Mortal Kombat 1

Their naming conventions are worse than the xbox

Last edited:

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
They tried this earlier with the previous reboot when Mortal Kombat 9 became just Mortal Kombat.

So there are actually 3 Mortal Kombat "1."

1. Mortal Kombat
2. Mortal Kombat II
3. Mortal Kombat III
4. Mortal Kombat IV
5. Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance
6. Mortal Kombat Deception
7. Mortal Kombat Armegedon
8. Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe
9. Mortal Kombat
10. Mortal Kombat X
11. Mortal Kombat 11
12. Mortal Kombat 1

Their naming conventions are worse than the xbox

Again…. :facepalm: :shakehead

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Nettherealm lost the plot once Injustice was a thing. MK9 was fun for as comically unbalanced was it was but then they slowly evolved into shit shows. Injustice 2 was spammy, MKX could definitely get spammy and then 11 was a full blown shitshow.

Engaging gameplay? No no, let's have spammer characters instead of actually engaging gameplay.

Street fighter is so much more refreshing in that regard. Zoner characters actually aren't as miserable to fight

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
I STILL am mad that MKII was legit designed to be an arcade quarter-sucker, therefore forcing you to using the same few stupid moves over n over as the only way in order to defeat the increasingly infuriating CPU opponent ladder.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Nettherealm lost the plot once Injustice was a thing. MK9 was fun for as comically unbalanced was it was but then they slowly evolved into shit shows. Injustice 2 was spammy, MKX could definitely get spammy and then 11 was a full blown shitshow.

Engaging gameplay? No no, let's have spammer characters instead of actually engaging gameplay.

Street fighter is so much more refreshing in that regard. Zoner characters actually aren't as miserable to fight
MK9 is where they overtook every other fighting game. Netherrealm knows the average person couldn’t care less about balance, because only like 0.1% of players will ever get good enough to even be able to figure out which characters are broken if there is balance issues.

They’re the only developer that has the casual audience for fighting games because they have a story mode and lots of single player content.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
MK9 is where they overtook every other fighting game. Netherrealm knows the average person couldn’t care less about balance, because only like 0.1% of players will ever get good enough to even be able to figure out which characters are broken if there is balance issues.

They’re the only developer that has the casual audience for fighting games because they have a story mode and lots of single player content.
While true for multi-platform stuff, I would think Smash Bros has by far the biggest casual audience. You don't sell a game to like 25% of people who own a console without that making up a significant portion of the fan base.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad