Movies: Mortal Engines - Peter Jackson's latest

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Yeah. Saw one trailer and it looked like an over CGI nightmare of a plot hole.

They were pretty much spending more time marketing the fact that Peter Jackson has his name attached to it than anything else about it.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I just see a CGI mess.

Why is every big budget movie a CGI mess?

BTW, I would think moving an entire city around would take a lot of resources.

Kind of like how the Mad Max guys seem to use a lot of gas.
Supposedly that's explained in the book but no clue if that is explained in the movie. I heard the books are good and I have them on my "to be read list" but still have a few other books before I consider starting the series.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Supposedly that's explained in the book but no clue if that is explained in the movie. I heard the books are good and I have them on my "to be read list" but still have a few other books before I consider starting the series.

Well, keep me posted.

hangman005

Face for Radio, Voice for Silent Movies
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I heard the premise, and it sounded dumb. I saw the trailer and it looked even dumber. You can have outlandish things that you are willing to suspend you disbelief for... this wasn't one of them.

There's a cynical part of me that asks, do they green light these movies so they justify not making "original content" and instead reboot and remake everything else.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Hard pass.

The whole concept sounds utterly ridiculous. I know it's based off of a novel series, however it looks like they decided to rip off madmax but also rips off the atmosphere, characters, clothing and a whole bunch of other stuff from Harry Potter, The Maze, Hunger Games and a whackload of other titles and series.

redbeardtx

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
I heard the premise, and it sounded dumb. I saw the trailer and it looked even dumber. You can have outlandish things that you are willing to suspend you disbelief for... this wasn't one of them.

There's a cynical part of me that asks, do they green light these movies so they justify not making "original content" and instead reboot and remake everything else.
Next time you go to the movies count how many previews of new movies are remakes, reboots, or ripoffs. It's sad.

Reactions: hangman005

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Looks like it will probably be a mess, but I'll still probably check it out as its a unique concept and I like when studios take risks.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Movies like this or that Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets are just so confusing to me. How do these insanely expensive and completely pointless movies even get made?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Movies like this or that Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets are just so confusing to me. How do these insanely expensive and completely pointless movies even get made?

By the equivalent of HF posters who do nothing but look at spreadsheets and make outlandish projections based on Excel formulas.

"If we spend this much on a CG movie and spend this much on marketing, my formula says we will make BANK!"

Also, to be fair to the talentless execs who get to where they are based on nothing but their ability to network, it is all about overseas. Something can tank here but still come out ahead thanks to markets like China.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
2nd weekend absolutlely brutal for movie which remained in all 3,103 theaters

1.727M for a 13th place finish (77.2% drop from opening weekend) and made a paltry $557 per theater

Total domestic gross now stands at a pitiful 11.99M

With Universal also bombing with Welcome to Marwen this weekend I expect them to rapidly pull both films from theaters

Universal not having good Christmas

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->