Player Discussion: Morrissey's quiet redemption

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
He’s playing with a player in his real first full year in the NHL in Poolman. That’s a much different situation than playing with a battle tested Trouba.

Josh is doing fine and I hope there’s a move made so he plays with different partner in the last portion of the season leading up to a playoff run. a legit top 4 dman.

Reactions: surixon

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I hope there’s a move made so he plays with different partner in the last portion of the season leading up to a playoff run. a legit top 4 dman.
No more trading 1st round picks.

There's a solid batch of D prospects on the way and I don't want to see them buried. Heinola, Samberg, Niku and Kovacevic might all be ready for the big league next fall.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
No more trading 1st round picks.

There's a solid batch of D prospects on the way and I don't want to see them buried. Heinola, Samberg, Niku and Kovacevic might all be ready for the big league next fall.
I wouldn’t trade a 1st either.

The prospects you mentioned are far from being sure things. I would not move Heinola or Samberg, as I think they have the best chance at being quality NHL players, but other prospects are fair game to move if a legit top 4 came back.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Legit top 4 D on decent contracts can't be acquired by trading Niku or Kovacevic. It would cost our 1st or Roslo or worse.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Bumping an old thread because I am interested to observe the effect Dylan DeMelo has on Josh. If Paul is smart enough to move Poolman to the 3rd pair where he belongs I expect Josh’s numbers to be materially impacted between now and the end of the season if he plays with DeMelo who should provide a steadying hand (existing or future injuries notwithstanding).

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Bumping an old thread because I am interested to observe the effect Dylan DeMelo has on Josh. If Paul is smart enough to move Poolman to the 3rd pair where he belongs I expect Josh’s numbers to be materially impacted between now and the end of the season if he plays with DeMelo who should provide a steadying hand (existing or future injuries notwithstanding).

His numbers have quietly been good for a while now. He's leading the Jets defense with a 51.9 cf% since the midway point of the year. His xgf% also seems to be slowly increasing to expected values as well. I think Demelo will definitely help and may allow Josh to concentrate more on offense but I believe Morrissey's game has been on the rebound for a while now.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
His numbers have quietly been good for a while now. He's leading the Jets defense with a 51.9 cf% since the midway point of the year. His xgf% also seems to be slowly increasing to expected values as well. I think Demelo will definitely help and may allow Josh to concentrate more on offense but I believe Morrissey's game has been on the rebound for a while now.

I wonder if some of those improvements coincided with Poolman’s injury and Josh getting some time with Pionk?

Reactions: KB1971

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I wonder if some of those improvements coincided with Poolman’s injury and Josh getting some time with Pionk?

They had started to improve before that. I think Morrissey has adapted to his new role of carrying a pairing. He posted real strong results with Kulikov as well during this stretch and his numbers have been great with Poolman the last few games. A better partner will help but the biggest thing is Josh upping his game and adapting to his role.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I’m interested to see if they pair DeMelo with Josh. I think that could be an effective top pairing. So, for now:

Morrissey-DeMelo
Kulikov-Pionk
Beaulieu-Poolman

I think we might be able to get by with that group.

Sbisa and Niku filling in as needed. And hopefully Samberg arrives in the spring to get his feet wet with NHL playoff hockey.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I’m interested to see if they pair DeMelo with Josh. I think that could be an effective top pairing. So, for now:

Morrissey-DeMelo
Kulikov-Pionk
Beaulieu-Poolman

I think we might be able to get by with that group.

Sbisa and Niku filling in as needed. And hopefully Samberg arrives in the spring to get his feet wet with NHL playoff hockey.

No way will they give ice time to a rookie in the playoffs.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
They had started to improve before that. I think Morrissey has adapted to his new role of carrying a pairing. He posted real strong results with Kulikov as well during this stretch and his numbers have been great with Poolman the last few games. A better partner will help but the biggest thing is Josh upping his game and adapting to his role.

Thanks for the data scrape. Great informative post.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
No way will they give ice time to a rookie in the playoffs.
It will depend on when he arrives, how he looks in practice, and how many injuries we have on the left side at that time.

He may not be ready, fine. But if he is, I think he gets in. If not, he’ll most likely be around the team soaking in the playoff atmosphere, like Ehlers many years ago.

That’s ok too.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
That requires him to get a game in. It won’t happen.
If he arrives late in the season, and gets a couple of regular season games in, and plays well, then I think he stays in the lineup.

In past years, we had depth on the right and left side so rookies wouldn’t get in and play over veterans. This year, our veteran LH Dmen are not guaranteed NHL dmen. So there is the possibility.

But Chevy might not be done adding. If he adds a solid LH Dman, then I would agree, he won’t get in.

Reactions: hn777

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
Of course it is "do-able," but do you think Maurice will do it?

And former AHL defenseman of the year continues to sit.
We'll see, I agree there's a lot of IF's for it to happen, but I don't think Niku is the best comparison. Niku atm is very much a high risk high reward player, while Samberg is a solid, physical stay-at-home D-man, which is needed on LD after Morrissey.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Was going to make the same point. DeMelo should help but won't be entirely responsible for improvement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad