Player Discussion: Morrissey's quiet redemption

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Traditionally players get paid for their point production. Even defensemen. Morrissey hasn't broken out offensively yet and he might not get the big bucks until he does.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Traditionally players get paid for their point production. Even defensemen. Morrissey hasn't broken out offensively yet and he might not get the big bucks until he does.

I think that’s why he pushed for a bridge deal. He knows what he’s capable of

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
He is the single most important piece on the back end now, what with Trouba's status being up in the air, Enstrom not being here anymore, and Buff a soon to be declining asset. Better build that D back up, else we aren't defending shit.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
The Jets are headed to cap hell no matter what. That's what happens when every first round pick for 6 years in a row is a home run. If you're like the Coyotes and miss on every first round pick you get a crappy team and no cap problems.

Off topic, but I have to dispute. Coyotes 1sts over the last 6 years have been very good picks. Slow development path in some cases just make it less obvious to those that aren't keeping tabs.

Reactions: Heldig

KB1971

Dec 15, 2017
Just incredibly patient and by far the best D at anticipating the play. More PP time please, it is time to let him run with that.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Keep down the noise we got a salary to manage in the coming years:laugh:, everyone knows that Morrissey is good what everyone doesn't know is how much better he can become.......................lets find out for a long time.

Reactions: Robinson2187

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Or Laine (have to go)
I know it is crazy talk but trading Laine could be a blockbuster deal that solves the Jets cap problems AND solidifies the team for several years.

It won't happen I am sure. Chevy will find a way to sign Laine. I am a bit worried at the cost.

Ducks and covers

nippanappa

Nov 26, 2018
He's really really good. Always been playing great defensively, now slowly showing some offensive flashes and producing points.

Morrissey's likely out most important asset (with Scheifele) so we desperately need to lock him up long term after his contract. Losing him and Trouba would be catastrophic for Jets. However, I'm pretty positive Chevy will do everyhing to keep him with us.

Reactions: sashalaine

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I would like to some big open ice hits. He had nice ones in junior.

I am kind of glad we have moved on from that phase. I loved seeing them and he was really good at it but they were a tad violent for his frame size and I am more interested in seeing him stay healthy.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Morrissey-Trouba would be ideal to keep together.
Morrissey I believe all round better than Jacob but if Chevy could pull this off I’m thinking they could be a top 3 pairing in the league.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Thought's on his play quarter of the season in sans Trouba?

had huge hopes for Morrissey to certify himself as an elite all-around dman league wide. high iq player who was primed to be the catalyst offensively and defensively from the back-end. a bit of a disappointment based on my expectations so far (lots of season left though) however he's been overall solid based on my eye-test. He's had some big gaffes that have led to goals earlier on in the year (VGK and TBL games come to mind), but i think this has been cleaned up a bit recently. Him and Trouba were eerily similar in RAPM rating for a while too lol.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Thought's on his play quarter of the season in sans Trouba?

had huge hopes for Morrissey to certify himself as an elite all-around dman league wide. high iq player who was primed to be the catalyst offensively and defensively from the back-end. a bit of a disappointment based on my expectations so far (lots of season left though) however he's been overall solid based on my eye-test. He's had some big gaffes that have led to goals earlier on in the year (VGK and TBL games come to mind), but i think this has been cleaned up a bit recently. Him and Trouba were eerily similar in RAPM rating for a while too lol.

He had a real rough stretch of games after coming back from that first injury. He was good before it and has been quite solid the last 10 games or so.

It seems that he has now gotten comfortable with his expanded role both on the ice and in the room and is now just playing his game whereas before he was trying to do too much.

I'm not at all worried about him going forward.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
I think he’s doing fine, especially the past ten-games-or-so.
Offensively, he has 15pts in 24 games so far. That would be a pace of 51pts in a full season of 82 games. Nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: Jets 31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad