Player Discussion: Morrissey's quiet redemption

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Josh Morrissey is, without question in my mind, our best defenseman. I think a lot of us can agree with that. However, I think he may be making a case before too long for our best player overall.

He reminds me of Serge Savard. His calmness under pressure, responsible play and sublime hockey instincts are often supported by incredible passes and an innate ability to just know the right play to make at the right time.

Scheifele is probably our best forward, and there isn't a huge gap between him and his linemates. Because of the position he plays, Hellebuyck may always be considered our most important player. And then there's Laine. But, if he keeps playing like this all season, Morrissey may be our MVP. I really hope we can afford him in a few years.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
His play is mirroring his play in the playoffs which is great. It is also exactly why he didn't sign a long term deal as he had another level in him. If he keeps this up and get PP time we may be looking at franchise dmen.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
His calmness under pressure, responsible play and sublime hockey instincts are often supported by incredible passes and an innate ability to just know the right play to make at the right time.

the Excellence of Execution through and through. And when his offensive touch gets a bit more refined, look the hell out.

Reactions: JohnStaymoose

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
He's such a fantastic player to watch, does so many things well, he just keeps getting better and better. His positioning, angling and puck movement are top level. The biggest difference I see in his game, that began during the latter half of last season and into this one, is the how well he reads the play coming up the ice. He is so good at maintaining his gaps and getting into the right lane in transition to provide more offense or being in position if the puck comes back the other way. It's such a big part of what the Jets do and he is only getting better at it.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Is it ridiculous to say that he could even be more valuable to us than or equal to Laine in a couple of years. After all, we have great forwards but are D is more suspect if we lose Trouba and Buff declines.
Should have offered him whatever he wants to stay long term. 6.75 mil. That's a discount long term.

Last edited:
Reactions: DannyGallivan

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Key will be to keep him off the PP for the next 2 years, so that his value doesn't get too high for the next contract.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Key will be to keep him off the PP for the next 2 years, so that his value doesn't get too high for the next contract.

I'm sure purposefully limiting his value will go over well with his camp. Treat him and use him like the cornerstone dmen he is and let the chips fall where they will with his next deal. Try to limit him and he will be more likely to through arbitration and play hard ball. Morrissey is smart guy as is his agent both will see throigh such an obvious tactic.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont

And potentially alienating our best D to the point he will pull a Trouba and play his way to UFA? Play Morrissey on the 2PP and see what he can do. Limiting players potentials to minimize their dollar value is not the way to build a contender, that how you turn into an Ottawa. Melnyk is a cheap bastard and ruined his team in one quick year. Let costly contracts expire(Kuli,Myers, etc) and use that money to resign Morrissey and Trouba (hopefully)

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I highly agree. He has an odd style I've never seen before, but I like it.

But what will suck is that Ehlers/Connor/Roslovic/Vesa or Little will HAVE to go.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013

But what will suck is that Ehlers/Connor/Roslovic/Vesa or Little will HAVE to go.

The Jets are headed to cap hell no matter what. That's what happens when every first round pick for 6 years in a row is a home run. If you're like the Coyotes and miss on every first round pick you get a crappy team and no cap problems.

Morrissey is a fantastic player. Kind of like Scheifele. He learns the game honestly and might not fly out of the gates right away, but has almost no weaknesses as a result of how diligent he is at working on his flaws.

Reactions: GNP

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

I'm fine with Vesa going at this point. He has not done anything yet. I am also fine with Little going instead of Ehlers Connor or Roslo.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Does anyone really think that the Jets would not play a player so he couldn't reach his potential just to save a buck? Serious question.

Reactions: heilongjetsfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->