Confirmed with Link: Morrisey signed to 3 year ELC

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't really understand how contracts work, but generally speaking, wouldn't it make more sense to sign him in a year or two when he actually has a chance to make the team? Doesn't signing him now waste a year (at least) of his 3 year ELC?

The ELC just slides a year if he doesn't play 10 games. But the signing bonus puts a little coin in the kid's pocket, maybe buy a new set of wheels. Nothing says you're part of the organization like a new truck.

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
10 I believe. He can play up to 9 but once he hits 10, bye bye.

This is true.

However, one clarification I would make is that it can only slide when a player is 18 or 19 (depending a few weird circumstances, for example although Trouba is 19 his CAN'T slide this year, not that that will be an issue with how Trouba has played). However for Morrissey the contract will slide this year (as he has already been re-assigned) and will slide next year if he does not play 10 games. The year after that WILL burn a year, no matter where he plays (he will have a year of junior eligibility left and AHL eligible that season).

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
This is true.

However, one clarification I would make is that it can only slide when a player is 18 or 19 (depending a few weird circumstances, for example although Trouba is 19 his CAN'T slide this year, not that that will be an issue with how Trouba has played). However for Morrissey the contract will slide this year (as he has already been re-assigned) and will slide next year if he does not play 10 games. The year after that WILL burn a year, no matter where he plays (he will have a year of junior eligibility left and AHL eligible that season).

I prefer to see it as he will earn his paycheck as he fulfills his contract obligations as the next rising star on our defense :)

thereturn

Jul 10, 2011
Winnipeg
What's the point? Noel is just going to bury him on the bench in favour of older experienced players like Trouba. :sarcasm:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Nope.

You won't be saying that after a bit more development, especially in years 2 and 3 of the deal. Especially not the way salaries are going.

Like Trouba, he appears to have the poise to become one of the Jets more consistent Dmen.

I believe (and hope) that that was sarcasm. ELC's are standardized, and most mid-1st round picks will have bonuses up to the 1.3-1.7 mil range.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Ah man, another scrub signed...why can't we just trade Schief, Troubs and Morry for Couturier. :naughty:

Awesome signing, and if the kid is even called up to the club to watch a game or two from the box he gets a little scratch in his pocket.
I would not be surprised to see him @ Gary Roberts (or similar camp) in the off season.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Ah man, another scrub signed...why can't we just trade Schief, Troubs and Morry for Couturier. :naughty:

Awesome signing, and if the kid is even called up to the club to watch a game or two from the box he gets a little scratch in his pocket.
I would not be surprised to see him @ Gary Roberts (or similar camp) in the off season.
I have no comments on your post.

However Snot, I would like to know how the **** you decided on your username...:laugh:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The ELC just slides a year if he doesn't play 10 games. But the signing bonus puts a little coin in the kid's pocket, maybe buy a new set of wheels. Nothing says you're part of the organization like a new truck.

Called that one. As per this morning Free Press "First thing he's (Morrissey) going to do is buy himself a pickup truck" :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad