Confirmed with Link: Morrisey signed to 3 year ELC

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
It's a good thing, but I don't get the timing...

Maybe they expect a ton of D to go down to injury this season and need to have him ready for an emergency call-up. :P

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Josh-Morrissey-300x225.jpg

Release from the Jets on Morrissey.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Kid looks to be a good one. Excited to watch him develop.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I have to say that I'm very pleased with the way that the Jets organization is doing almost everything. I'm a happy fan right now.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
I must say the D on this team will be Stacked for years to come, if Chevy drafts just 1 more elite D prospect he'll be known equivalently as a Mad Scientist, but for D-men.

Tintin's Ghost

May 28, 2007
Saskatoon
Expected but still glad it's official. By all accounts, Morrissey played above his (still respectable) draft slot and displays the intangibles that Noel seems most emphatic about.

What is really nice is that Morrissey is playing for a junior team that is built to compete against the Hitmen and the Oil Kings but will mostly pl;ay the Pats and Blades. I expect to see Prince Albert make some noise in the the WHL playoffs this year. Ideally, Morrissey can be the Jets pipeline to Leon Draisatl. That kid is the epitome of high-end skill in a big body.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Nice.

Interesting timing, but its nice to have him signed to his ELC.

He can be an emergency injury call-up, but have to go back to Jr afterwards, no? I thought once he's sent back to Jr, he's there for the year, except for very special situations, no? Holden?

Edit: he would be eligible to play in NHL/AHL playoffs, once PA is eliminated from their playoffs, no?

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
So I got a DM from a local media member that states after he has checked with the nhlpa he says that jr player contracts do count.
However, he does not say if that is if they are in junior they don't count.

So there's that lol

Whileee

May 29, 2010
...small point, but can we correct the spelling of Morrissey's name in the tread title?

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
NHL CBA said:
(a) Not more than 50 Players signed to an SPC and not less than 24 Players and 3
goalkeepers under an SPC. Age 18 and age 19 Players who were returned to Juniors, and who
have not played 11 NHL Games in one season, shall be exempt from inclusion in the 50 Player
limit

This would seem to indicate that Morrissey and Blomqvist don't count against the contract limit for this season.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I don't really understand how contracts work, but generally speaking, wouldn't it make more sense to sign him in a year or two when he actually has a chance to make the team? Doesn't signing him now waste a year (at least) of his 3 year ELC?

Thesaurus

Lyrical Wordsmith
Dec 14, 2011
The Cosmos
I don't really understand how contracts work, but generally speaking, wouldn't it make more sense to sign him in a year or two when he actually has a chance to make the team? Doesn't signing him now waste a year (at least) of his 3 year ELC?
If my understanding is correct he needs to play 9 games with the Jets to burn a year of his ELC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad