Morris leaves Calgary

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
CALGARY (CP): GM Matthew Kershaw sang the praises of Derek Morris today as he dealt the long-serving defenceman to the Pittsburgh Penguins. "Derek has been here since the founding of the league, one of the original members of the Calgary Flames franchise in the HFNHL" said Kershaw "but we have to address some fundamental issues, one of which is the waiver draft next season and our excess of quality defenceman, and the other is the lack of depth at the forward position in the future."

Morris is moved with promising 1st round draft pick Luc Bourdon and forward Josef Balej to Pittsburgh.

In return, Calgary receives the rights to left wingers Wojtek Wolski and Adam Berti, Centre RJ Umberger and Goalie Jani Hurme.

"We also needed to address our back-up goalie position and I feel that we have done so with the addition of Jani Hurme."

Last edited:

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
PIT is pleased to welcome all three players to our organization. We identified our biggest need was a strong foundation dman and Derek Morris fills that need. We did give up a lot of future forward strength, but felt we were dealing from a position of strength. When we aquired Chris Mason last week, it made Hurme available and he is the only asset we are losing from this years team. Goalies are a very valuable commodity in this league and we fielded weekly offers for this goalie, with his favourable contract and ratings.

We are also very pleased to add two NHL Canuck properties , especially promising 1st rounde selection, Luc Bourdon.

Josef Balej will be assigned to the minor league affifliate.

R

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
DR said:
PIT is pleased to welcome all three players to our organization. We identified our biggest need was a strong foundation dman and Derek Morris fills that need. We did give up a lot of future forward strength, but felt we were dealing from a position of strength.
R

Hey Robb.. position of strength... isn't that the four day conversation we had on a drive about what, six or seven years ago, from Calgary to Toronto in the days after the Pavel Bure to Florida trade?

Brent Burns Beard