Moritz Seider

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
Seider wasn't on many pundits' radar as a top-six pick, but Red Wings executive vice president and general manager Steve Yzerman knew who he wanted in his first draft as Detroit's GM, and Seider is inching toward proving a lot of people wrong as he gets close to breaking through in the NHL.

"I'm excited about the prospect we got," Yzerman said at the draft. "I think he's a really good player and a really good kid. We'll find out, hopefully, in not too long, but we think we got an excellent prospect and somebody that will really fit into what we're doing and that our fan base will really enjoy watching and getting to know as a person."

"It was a big adjustment, but it's just great to have an opportunity to play hockey, and getting some games under your belt," Seider said in December. "It's a league where everyone can skate. It's a lot about skating here. You can't just run people over. You have to really be careful of using your stick and how you approach guys, so that was a really good thing to learn the first couple weeks."

"He had his heart set on playing. It turned out to be a great (decision)," Yzerman said. "He went to a really good organization, a good team, and was able to earn a big role on the team and play in all situations. Overall, I think it's been a real good year for him."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: wings95

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Yeah, I saw Yzerman's interview with Trevor Thompson and was very happy to hear that Seider will likely be on the team next year. I can't wait to see him play.

drw13

Sep 29, 2013
Im curious as to what other people think. If you went back today having seen how things played out so far, are you still picking Moritz Seider at 6th overall? For me I'd consider only Zegras instead possibly

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Im curious as to what other people think. If you went back today having seen how things played out so far, are you still picking Moritz Seider at 6th overall? For me I'd consider only Zegras instead possibly

If you're still considering Zegras over Seider then I would tell you to stop huffing glue.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
With how he's developed thus far, Seider has a chance to be one of the top 2-3 players in the entire draft. Knowing then what I know now, I'd run the same pick up to the podium as fast as I could.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Shit, I shouted with joy when they called his name. I'm still loving that pick!

If you were at the draft party at LCA, you weren't close to me. That pick was met with dead silence for about 5 seconds, then some muttered wtf's. No one there payed attention to the subsequent picks the rest of the night.

In retrospect I'm ecstatic with picking Mo. At the time of the pick, you were one of the people not named Seider fist-pumping when his name was called on draft day.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
If you were at the draft party at LCA, you weren't close to me. That pick was met with dead silence for about 5 seconds, then some muttered wtf's. No one there payed attention to the subsequent picks the rest of the night.

In retrospect I'm ecstatic with picking Mo. At the time of the pick, you were one of the people not named Seider fist-pumping when his name was called on draft day.
No, I was in my living room but had my HF post all typed and ready on the outside chance we actually picked him. I heard Stevie say "Mannheim" and I shouted loud enough to scare my cat then hit send on my Wunderbar post.
I'm aware it was met with question marks or outright disappointment, but I was stoked.

PG 19: GDT: - Are You Ready to Rummmm...er, Draaaaaaft!

drw13

Sep 29, 2013
If you're still considering Zegras over Seider then I would tell you to stop huffing glue.

LOL. Well im probably picking Seider, but I think having seen Zegras play NHL games puts him alot closer for me than you. I think the expectation is Seider shows up in the NHL and will impress alot more than Zegras did. But until we get to see it you can never knkw for sure.

Shit, I shouted with joy when they called his name. I'm still loving that pick!

At the time i wouldve went Podkolzin. Wasnt overly disappointed with Seider, just didnt know much about him. I figured if they're reaching to get him at 6 and not trading down, then they probably have reason to believe he will be an elite player. So just had to trust the guy getting payed to do this lol

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
No, I was in my living room but had my HF post all typed and ready on the outside chance we actually picked him. I heard Stevie say "Mannheim" and I shouted loud enough to scare my cat then hit send on my Wunderbar post.
I'm aware it was met with question marks or outright disappointment, but I was stoked.

PG 19: GDT: - Are You Ready to Rummmm...er, Draaaaaaft!

I was too busy being boozy on Woodward to join that thread, but it's always a good read looking back. Always wild to me how the people who seem to spend the least amount of time watching these kids play buy into draft consensus dogma the hardest.

It's also a good reminder for me not to throw my tendies at the wall when we inevitably pass on Luke Hughes and Kent Johnson for Fyodor Svechkov.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
I was too busy being boozy on Woodward to join that thread, but it's always a good read looking back. Always wild to me how the people who seem to spend the least amount of time watching these kids play buy into draft consensus dogma the hardest.

It's also a good reminder for me not to throw my tendies at the wall when we inevitably pass on Luke Hughes and Kent Johnson for Fyodor Svechkov.
Mason McTavish ;)

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Mason McTavish ;)

tenor.gif

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Im just saying, dont be surprised if he's a guy they slightly reach for. He did really well overseas and they had this glowing report on eprinkside.com for subscribers....
Mason McTavish’s playmaking
Mason McTavish being arguably the tournament’s top playmaker wouldn't have been first on my list of predictions or even 100th. While it’s unfair to reduce McTavish to a shooter, scoring goals is what he does. He had nine goals and two assists with EHC Olten this season, and if that’s too small of a sample, he had 29 goals to 13 assists as a rookie in the OHL. He led the U18s in expected primary assists per 60 by 0.35, roughly a full standard deviation away from second-closest (of players with regular minutes).
Small-area playmaking’s a strength for McTavish, which was on full display this tournament. His ability to take a tricky pass when pressured, establishing positioning to beat the pressure, then pass is among the best in the draft class. But it’s the variety of passes that made his performance so impressive.
McTavish showed a greater desire to connect with high-value targets, such as teammates lurking on the weakside or around the net. Deception allowed him to prolong passing lanes, and he flashed the ability to outright manufacture them. And with that came five goals, top-of-the-tournament defensive value, and continued development in transition.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

I love Seider, but you'll find many neutral fans compelled to take both Zegras and Cozens over him. Obviously, Farabee looks extremely good in that class as well. Can we just wait a couple of more years before we talk about redrafting the 2019 class?

Reactions: Team Cozens

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
If you polled neutral fans they'd probably take Zegras because Seider ain't there at 6, bud.

Most dominant player at the WJC by a mile. 21 points in 17 AHL games as a 1C in his D+2 year.

You're biased if you think that Seider is head and shoulders above Zegras at this point.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Most dominant player at the WJC by a mile. 21 points in 17 AHL games as a 1C in his D+2 year.

You're biased if you think that Seider is head and shoulders above Zegras at this point.

...You realize Seider was ranked the number one prospect earlier this year, right? And is a nominee for top defenseman in the SHL? And won the Eliteprospect award in the SHL? And helped carry his team to the SHL finals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->