News Article: Morgan: Yotes Notes.... Post Draft

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
NO GOALIES

Two positions the Coyotes did not address at the Draft were left wing, where they have a glut of current players, and goaltender. After acquiring Antti Raanta from the Rangers on Friday, Flyers draft pick Merrick Madsen last week and signing Minnesota-Duluth free agent Hunter Miska, the Coyotes feel they have sufficient organizational depth to complement Raanta, backup Louis Domingue and top prospect Adin Hill (Tucson, AHL).

:handclap:

RufusG

May 23, 2017
So what happened to Chad Johnson in that mix? What was his contract situation?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
So what happened to Chad Johnson in that mix? What was his contract situation?

Was protected from Vegas with the understanding he'd probably re-sign with Calgary. No room for him now.

It's probably better to trade for another team's 3rd or 4th best guy in the pipeline that's closer rather than drafting someone, smart move.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
COACHING SEARCH

Chayka said he would begin the process of identifying and finding a new coach on Monday after Dave Tippett parted ways with the team on Thursday.

“I’d like to sit down with [assistant GM Steve Sullivan] and our staff,” Chayka said. “We’d like to put together a profile of exactly what we’re looking for; the attributes of the coach we’re looking for before we start seeking out people. Sometimes, you write it down and it’s different than maybe the people you think you might like.

“We’ll have a small group of names, a real small group at this stage, and then just try and be efficient moving forward.”

Chayka said youth is not an overriding prerequisite.

“I don’t think that’s necessarily the case, but with our younger players, we do want a communicator; somebody that does engage and have that relational type of approach to coaching.”

Sounds like Nelson.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
rt said:
Sounds like Nelson.

Sounds like a "Coach"

craig-t-nelson-768.jpg

Wrong Coach or Nelson?
:dunno:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Yeah, but there still some old school x's and o's types kicking around the league.

The science is the X's and O's, the things that you can see, the things that you want to do. The arts is 'how do we get those guys to do that.' It's fine to say it; you can be a dictator, to say 'do this.' They may do it, but how badly do they want to do it when it's May 20, it's been a long year, the sun is nice, the girl you're staying with says it'd be nice to get back home. You do it, but I call it 'discretionary effort.' Are you willing to go through the wall, or are you just doing it to do it? That's where the arts come in, that’s where a coach has to get everybody on board in there for a common goal. Gelling together, whatever you want to talk about, there’s a method to the madness. You have to develop trust, that’s first and foremost. How you develop trust is that as a coach you give yourself up a bit. You give yourself to the team. If you’re asking them to give themselves up for each other, I’m the leader, I better start this, to show them that I care. That’s the arts part, and I think the arts outweigh the technical part, I really do.

-Todd Nelson

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
It was interesting to see Torts (who I liked when he left and then quickly grew overfond of himself) evolve a bit. Never saw that with Tippett. Read something from Torts about letting Panarin play his game and thought it was the sort of thing I'd never have heard from Tipp (or Torts until the last few years)

I do think Tipp is good at the art of getting veteran, competitive teams to respond. He just has nothing going with young "amateurs" and mediocre vets who've checked out because the team is bad. Too loyal to his guys.

I'm excited!

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It was interesting to see Torts (who I liked when he left and then quickly grew overfond of himself) evolve a bit. Never saw that with Tippett. Read something from Torts about letting Panarin play his game and thought it was the sort of thing I'd never have heard from Tipp (or Torts until the last few years)

I do think Tipp is good at the art of getting veteran, competitive teams to respond. He just has nothing going with young "amateurs" and mediocre vets who've checked out because the team is bad. Too loyal to his guys.

I'm excited!

DT never had a player like Panarin.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Maybe a good arrangement would be:

HC: Nelson

A vet coach like Desjardins or MacLean as associate. And Nelson can bring in one of his own guys for the other assistant.

Fire Playfair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->